• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

does anyone see Alex coming back next year as backup QB?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said that wrong, the Cardinals want a franchise QB and even though Smith isnt that, he is a better option than Kolb/Skelton. I meant that they want to upgrade to a franchise QB, and Smith isn't that big of an upgrade over Kolb in that department.

They might consider him to be a stopgap for some kid they draft.

I guess it depends on how much he wants to start. After being a stopgap here with a winning team, does he want to be a stopgap for an 8-8 team? He suredly couldn't come back to SF after that, could he?

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ has to be the front runner. Other places to consider in no particular order: CLE, PHI (depending on who's hired), anywhere Norv winds up as OC, MN (if they have doubts about Ponder), and a longshot.....J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets....again depending on who's hired. These are all hunches not based on any info.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the offseason when the 49ers were flirting with Peyton, Alex Smith didn't really garner a whole lot of free agent attention.

The Dolphins flew him out but they had already drafted Tannehill.

Plus he's 28/29 years old now. I don't really see any team out there willing to make him a starter, given his age and game manager tag. He's going to be a backup.

The fact that he's settled in the bay area with wife and kids makes me think there's a small chance he does come back.

I don't think he was going to garner much attention, but I still think it was slightly affected by teams knowing he was coming here. He wasn't worth making a push for, but if available and unlikely to sign here, I could see more attention. The teams that weren't in the hunt for Manning couldn't wait for that and Alex wasn't worth the wait. But if he were available from the start, Seattle may have given him a look before Flynn and Wilson. Miami may have given it a better look, etc. I think his agent also wasn't that aggressive. He was going to get his money from Peyton's deal and here was his best chance. I am not saying he'll be covetted, but I think this year may be a better gauge for interest (not for amount of money, because he is older and now is benched, not a playoff QB).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Being realistic: Alex will be cut. Nobody's gonna trade for him at 9.75 million next season. And he has no reason to take a pay cut when he can just hit FA again.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers' QB choice coming by Wednesday - NFC West Blog - ESPN

Well this is interesting, when Harbs says Alex is still the starting QB today and that he hasn't done anything to lose the job.

Sounds like we'll have a real QB battle next training camp.

He also says that Colin should not be classified as a backup, so it's still in the air. My bet is Kaepernick is starting. He's milking every practical minute - but reasonably isn't waiting until gametime.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also says that Colin should not be classified as a backup, so it's still in the air. My bet is Kaepernick is starting. He's milking every practical minute - but reasonably isn't waiting until gametime.

I agree. But they'll beat the Rams with either guy at QB.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds more like we're back to rotating in 2 QB's throughout the game. I'd rather them just declare 1 or the other the starter though and leave the other on the bench.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds more like we're back to rotating in 2 QB's throughout the game. I'd rather them just declare 1 or the other the starter though and leave the other on the bench.

If he starts Kaep, then Smith won't be playing, IMO. If he starts Smith, Kaep will come in. It comes down to the fact that Kaep does things Smith doesn't, so he would compliment Smith as a QB, but Smith would not complement Kaep's game. I was fishing for scenarios where I thought Smith would be put in for and the only remote thing I could find was when we needed to milk the clock, but after last night's 9-minute drive, there goes that. So, I've got nothing. I think we could be successful with Smith and I may be one of the only ones to believe this, but I think we could win a SB with Smith, but as much as I would love to send Smith out with a ring as a starter, I think it's easier with Kaep.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him back next year if we ask him to restructure. I see a few possibilities:

1) He is in a Chiefs jersey next year as their starter
2) Eages
3) Goes to San Deigo as a back up
4) Bills
5) 49ers

in that order

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see him back next year if we ask him to restructure. I see a few possibilities:

2) Eages
4) Bills
5) 49ers

in that order

I don't see him in SD because that would only happen if Norv was still there, and there is no way Norv is there next year.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2) Eages
4) Bills
5) 49ers

in that order

The Chefs...... Montana, Grbac, Smith?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why, if Smith is willing to be a back-up, he would want to play for any other team than the 49ers. There is just no way Smith is going to get starter money from any team. He simply requires way to much team support to be a successful starting QB.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why, if Smith is willing to be a back-up, he would want to play for any other team than the 49ers. There is just no way Smith is going to get starter money from any team. He simply requires way to much team support to be a successful starting QB.

Umm the Chiefs gave Matt Cassel a buttload of money after being a back up for most of his football career (including college), the Cards gave Kolb a ton of money after being a back up for the majority of his NFL career, The Seahawks gave Flynn a ton of money after being a back up for the majority of his NFL career. None of these guys are proven QB's on the level that Smith is.

Just being in Kansas and hearing everyone talk, I can assure you that the Chiefs would be more than happy to get their hands on him. It would certainly be a popular move by the team.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gruden goes to the NFL then I see Smith joining him.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gruden goes to the NFL then I see Smith joining him.

You think he'll leave his ESPN gig? I really think the Eagles would be a pretty good fit for Gruden.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm foolishly holding out hope he joins the Vols.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Umm the Chiefs gave Matt Cassel a buttload of money after being a back up for most of his football career (including college), the Cards gave Kolb a ton of money after being a back up for the majority of his NFL career, The Seahawks gave Flynn a ton of money after being a back up for the majority of his NFL career. None of these guys are proven QB's on the level that Smith is.

Just being in Kansas and hearing everyone talk, I can assure you that the Chiefs would be more than happy to get their hands on him. It would certainly be a popular move by the team.

That's the point I think. None of those guys were proven like Alex Smith is. Cassel, Kolb and Flynn all had (have in Flynn's case) the potential to be difference makers in a positive way. Whoever takes on Smith knows exactly what they're getting at QB: a C+/B- player.

It would be like choosing at RB between Ben Tate/Kendall Hunter/Andre Brown (even CJ Spiller) and Pierre Thomas/Shonn Greene/Benjarvis Green-Ellis.

The first group has shown flashes of greatness but there is not enough of a sample size to really know what they are. The second group you know exactly what you're getting.

Also, Cassel was picked up after a 63%, 3600 yard 21 TD, 11 INT season as a 26 year old in his first real action, to a team being run by the guy who drafted him. If Alex Smith had a year like that it would be at least his second best season ever, and a case could be made for it being his best.