• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

does anyone see Alex coming back next year as backup QB?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm the Chiefs gave Matt Cassel a buttload of money after being a back up for most of his football career (including college), the Cards gave Kolb a ton of money after being a back up for the majority of his NFL career, The Seahawks gave Flynn a ton of money after being a back up for the majority of his NFL career. None of these guys are proven QB's on the level that Smith is.

Just being in Kansas and hearing everyone talk, I can assure you that the Chiefs would be more than happy to get their hands on him. It would certainly be a popular move by the team.

Alex Smith would be a mess in KC.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point I think. None of those guys were proven like Alex Smith is. Cassel, Kolb and Flynn all had (have in Flynn's case) the potential to be difference makers in a positive way. Whoever takes on Smith knows exactly what they're getting at QB: a C+/B- player.

It would be like choosing at RB between Ben Tate/Kendall Hunter/Andre Brown (even CJ Spiller) and Pierre Thomas/Shonn Greene/Benjarvis Green-Ellis.

The first group has shown flashes of greatness but there is not enough of a sample size to really know what they are. The second group you know exactly what you're getting.

Also, Cassel was picked up after a 63%, 3600 yard 21 TD, 11 INT season as a 26 year old in his first real action, to a team being run by the guy who drafted him. If Alex Smith had a year like that it would be at least his second best season ever, and a case could be made for it being his best.

This - (I'm glad I read this response before writing one of my own)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think it might be a good spot for him since they like to run first and he would still have a big target in Bowe.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point I think. None of those guys were proven like Alex Smith is. Cassel, Kolb and Flynn all had (have in Flynn's case) the potential to be difference makers in a positive way. Whoever takes on Smith knows exactly what they're getting at QB: a C+/B- player.

It would be like choosing at RB between Ben Tate/Kendall Hunter/Andre Brown (even CJ Spiller) and Pierre Thomas/Shonn Greene/Benjarvis Green-Ellis.

The first group has shown flashes of greatness but there is not enough of a sample size to really know what they are. The second group you know exactly what you're getting.

Also, Cassel was picked up after a 63%, 3600 yard 21 TD, 11 INT season as a 26 year old in his first real action, to a team being run by the guy who drafted him. If Alex Smith had a year like that it would be at least his second best season ever, and a case could be made for it being his best.

I just dont see these guys having that potential though. Cassel has the weakest arm ok the league and put up mediocre numbers in a stat friendly system. I just never saw it with Kolb again a stat friendly system and he never looked elite. Flynn looked good in short amount of times but never showed the consistency of Alex.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would be MUCH better than Cassel there. They have weapons, a run game, good defense. All they need is a QB who won't turn it over every time he drops back. Cassel is a far worse QB than Alex and they would see a vast improvement at that positon. I'm not saying he would be their long term answer but a stop gap for a couple years while they groom a young guy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont see these guys having that potential though. Cassel has the weakest arm ok the league and put up mediocre numbers in a stat friendly system. I just never saw it with Kolb again a stat friendly system and he never looked elite. Flynn looked good in short amount of times but never showed the consistency of Alex.

He's played one or two games, it's hard to show consistency in that little time. I don't count preseason as strongly as regular season. You're never in long enough to really get a groove anyway and wasn't Flynn injured this year, the only time he really could have been a starter? And even as a Smith supporter, I wouldn't call Alex "consistent" though he can play well and would have some games better than Flynn (if Flynn started 16 games). He'd also likely have some worse games and would never have the 6 TD, 500 yard game. Overall, Smith may end up with a better career than Flynn, it's just that we've seen so little of Flynn to say one way or another. Flynn can be sold by talking about potential, Smith not so much. Flynn didn't beat out Wilson, so all the advantages he had over Smith wouldn't necessarily pan out. (I think it was leaning to Wilson before the injury. The big thing Flynn had going for him was his contract and for him not to be winning after that, says something.)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dodub, you are putting Smith into a worst case scenario - New team, new head coach, new OC, new QB coach, new system, new players, many of whom will not be happy with the "deal" - and the same Alex Smith. Dude, this is NOT going to go well for any team.

Feel free to believe KC's coaching staff can raise the level of Smith's game if you must, but as it stands Alex Smith is at best a stop-gap starter. No way in hell would any of the 32 GM's take Alex Smith and believe their QB-of-the-future problem is solved.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodub, you are putting Smith into a worst case scenario - New team, new head coach, new OC, new QB coach, new system, new players, many of whom will not be happy with the "deal" - and the same Alex Smith. Dude, this is NOT going to go well for any team.

Feel free to believe KC's coaching staff can raise the level of Smith's game if you must, but as it stands Alex Smith is at best a stop-gap starter. No way in hell would any of the 32 GM's take Alex Smith and believe their QB-of-the-future problem is solved.

It is no worse than the situation Smith has had his whole career, the guy needs a change of scene. He will most likely get cut, why wouldn't he take the best possible contract that he can get? I'm sure he'd rather have a new coach, new ytea, new OC, etc. then riding the pine. A team like the Chiefs would be happy to have ANYONE that isn't named Matt Cassel, these guys were happy when Brady freaking Quinn was named starter.

The Chiefs current coaching staff isn't going to raise the level of any of their players, I think a new staff will, they have TONS of talent on offense. I never said that he is the QB of the future, I said that he could be a stop gap and would start until a high draft pick is ready, but the guy needs out of SF. Just let him go.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think a new staff will, they have TONS of talent on offense. I never said that he is the QB of the future, I said that he could be a stop gap and would start until a high draft pick is ready, but the guy needs out of SF. Just let him go.

I really don't think that is going to happen in today's NFL. The days of waiting around for your rookie QB to develop are done. Can you ever remember seeing as many rookie QBs start for their team as we have seen over the last 2 years?
Last year Cam Newton, Blain Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Jake Locker were all thrown under center rather quickly.
This year you have RG3, Luck, Ryan Tannenhill, Brandon Weeden, Russell Wilson and now Nick Foles and Ryan Lindley are starting games.
I don't think the Chiefs would want anything to do with Alex at this point as a starter. If and when the Chiefs bring in a new coach for next season, I would almost guarantee he would want something new to excite the fan base and produce wins.
If Alex is using his noodle, which has been banged around a lot lately, he would understand that this isn't such a bad place to be as a back up. I know I may get baked for this but I would rather have Tolzien as the #2 next year behind Kaep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a new staff will, they have TONS of talent on offense. I never said that he is the QB of the future, I said that he could be a stop gap and would start until a high draft pick is ready, but the guy needs out of SF. Just let him go.

I really don't think that is going to happen in today's NFL. The days of waiting around for your rookie QB to develop are done. Can you ever remember seeing as many rookie QBs start for their team as we have seen over the last 2 years?
Last year Cam Newton, Blain Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Jake Locker were all thrown under center rather quickly.
This year you have RG3, Luck, Ryan Tannenhill, Brandon Weeden, Russell Wilson and now Nick Foles and Ryan Lindley are starting games.
I don't think the Chiefs would want anything to do with Alex at this point as a starter. If and when the Chiefs bring in a new coach for next season, I would almost guarantee he would want something new to excite the fan base and produce wins.

This! And considering KC is currently sliding into the #1 overall DP, there is your new and exciting right there.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Alex is using his noodle, which has been banged around a lot lately, he would understand that this isn't such a bad place to be as a back up. I know I may get baked for this but I would rather have Tolzien as the #2 next year behind Kaep.

You are right about prospects not sitting quite as long as they used to but this is due more to the situation and the coach. Guys like Ponder, Locker, Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Foles and Lindley weren't supposed to be the starter. Things happened such as injuries or the starter stinking up the joint, that moved them to the starting lineup. RG3, Weeden, Luck and Newton were drafted to start right away though, this is because there were no other opitons: Washington had Grossman, Browns had McCoy, Indy had no one and Carolina had Clausen. Those teams didn't have a starting caliber QB to hold down the fort until they fully got a grasp of the playbook, worked on fundamentals, etc.

A new coach in itself will excite the fan base. The fans here are so frustrated with Pioli, Crennel and the Patriots Jr. act that when the new coach comes in they will all be happy campers. They are so incredibly frustrated with Cassel that it doesn't matter who comes in as long as they don't have Caseel on the back of their jersey. You don't realize how many of my friends who are Chiefs fans say that they would take Alex in a second and hope to see him in a Chiefs jersey next year. If you honestly think Alex Smith has a noodle arm trying watching Matt Cassel throw the ball. Compared to Cassel, Alex has a Brett Favre arm.

Meh I dunno about Tolzien as the #2 guy, maybe bring Johnson back or another vet with experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know? He never throws over 10 yards.