• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers sign Kershaw for measly 215 million.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than sign Kershaw through arbitration, the Dodgers avoided their best pitcher from seeing free agent offers the following year. A smart move in my opinion. However, 215 million for 7 years? Wow! That is going to make the market tough for years to come. A 20 million dollar pitcher will command 25 million,and a 25 million dollar pitcher will command 30 million. Kershaw will be earning a million dollars per game pitched,win or lose.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than sign Kershaw through arbitration, the Dodgers avoided their best pitcher from seeing free agent offers the following year. A smart move in my opinion. However, 215 million for 7 years? Wow! That is going to make the market tough for years to come. A 20 million dollar pitcher will command 25 million,and a 25 million dollar pitcher will command 30 million. Kershaw will be earning a million dollars per game pitched,win or lose.

I kind of doubt that, purely because I think said pitcher would have to have similar numbers to Kershaw, which is pretty hard to do. I could be wrong though.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're forgetting that Kershaw can opt out after his 5th year.

You gotta love the player having the opt out. You'd hate to see a player actually live up to their contract and not get ridiculously overpaid for the last couple years. His agent was probably like "waitaminute, the kid's only 25, he might actually be an ace pitcher all those years. If that happens we need to give him a chance at age 30 to sign a 9 year 300 million dollar deal with the Mariners."

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of doubt that, purely because I think said pitcher would have to have similar numbers to Kershaw, which is pretty hard to do. I could be wrong though.

Either way, it will affect final arbitration year contracts. For example, Kershaw would have received about 20 million in arb salary if the dodgers chose to go that route. Now, all pitchers will be measured accordingly. (To Kershaws stats.) Once the bar is raised,it seems to stay that way. Just thinking out loud, but somebody could offer the Marlins about 30 million in cash to buy Fernandez, and maybe throw in a player or two. They would only have to pay him peanuts for the next 3-4 years. That would be cheaper than buying a Japanese pitcher. Fernandez is only 21 years old and would become a free agent at 26 years old.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great deal on the Dodgers part. The rich get richer

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, it will affect final arbitration year contracts. For example, Kershaw would have received about 20 million in arb salary if the dodgers chose to go that route. Now, all pitchers will be measured accordingly. (To Kershaws stats.) Once the bar is raised,it seems to stay that way. Just thinking out loud, but somebody could offer the Marlins about 30 million in cash to buy Fernandez, and maybe throw in a player or two. They would only have to pay him peanuts for the next 3-4 years. That would be cheaper than buying a Japanese pitcher. Fernandez is only 21 years old and would become a free agent at 26 years old.

I don't think mlb would allow that. The Marlins attendance is already an embarrassment. If they tried to sell off players without getting good players in return they would probably block it and look for a new owner.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think mlb would allow that. The Marlins attendance is already an embarrassment. If they tried to sell off players without getting good players in return they would probably block it and look for a new owner.

You make a good point. However, if they received two solid prospects along with the money, and then spent the 30 million on two or three other additions to the team, that should work. That is like getting 4 or 5 players for one! By the way, a new owner is what that team needs anyway!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these massive spending sprees are going to come back to bite people in the ass when attendance continues to fall in some of these smaller markets and eventually works its way into the larger markets. Sort of like what is going in Washington D.C. After awhile, the money gets too top heavy and what goes up must come crashing down in a hurry.