• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you want to know how little I know about baseball?

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured I won't talk out of my ass and pretend to know what I am talking about here (like I do on the Sharks board) so I will let you all in on how little I know about baseball:

I was excited when we traded for Cabrera this year. I thought it was a hell of a pick up and I didn't understand why people were so upset...

Because I thought we had traded for Miguel Cabrera. I finally realized they were two different people a couple days ago while watching Sportscenter.

:L

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured I won't talk out of my ass and pretend to know what I am talking about here (like I do on the Sharks board) so I will let you all in on how little I know about baseball:

I was excited when we traded for Cabrera this year. I thought it was a hell of a pick up and I didn't understand why people were so upset...

Because I thought we had traded for Miguel Cabrera. I finally realized they were two different people a couple days ago while watching Sportscenter.

You might've wanted to keep that one to yourself. ;) I've been playing NHL '96 on Sega, recently. That Makarov guy is awesome. Now, we're even. :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is nothing wrong with just being a fan, and not being a super-geek-know-all-fan.

We just don't want you here.

:hockeysmile:

:ss:

Seriously, I am the same way with the Niners. I love them, but I simply do not know enough about them or the sport to be able to hang on a good board.

Of course, this is obviously a trait SOME people to do share with me...

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really never followed baseball until two years ago. My father in law is a huge Giants fan so I got roped into it. I have no problem being a casual fan.

It was quite the 'A-ha!' moment when I heard Miguel Cabrera's name.

One part of the game that I have trouble adjusting to is you can't physically contact an opposing player when he pisses you off. I guess hitting a guy with a pitch will have to suffice. :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really never followed baseball until two years ago. My father in law is a huge Giants fan so I got roped into it. I have no problem being a casual fan.

It was quite the 'A-ha!' moment when I heard Miguel Cabrera's name.

One part of the game that I have trouble adjusting to is you can't physically contact an opposing player when he pisses you off. I guess hitting a guy with a pitch will have to suffice. :)

You just gotta learn to mind-fuck your opponent instead of ramming his nose through the glass.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its okay. when i first started posting on the shit board,i argued with someone(part of me wants to say it was tzill) that noah lowry was the best pitcher on the team cuz he lead the team in wins. i wanna say it was 06 or 07.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its okay. when i first started posting on the shit board,i argued with someone(part of me wants to say it was tzill) that noah lowry was the best pitcher on the team cuz he lead the team in wins. i wanna say it was 06 or 07.

I used to think Blownitez was good because he had a 3 something ERA...

We've all been there, I still don't really understand hockey, but floating around the boards has helped me understand a lot more.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to think Blownitez was good because he had a 3 something ERA...

We've all been there, I still don't really understand hockey, but floating around the boards has helped me understand a lot more.

It's a great sport. Like most, I don't think you can truly understand the nuances without playing it with some regularity, which I, too, have not done.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the trouble I have with baseball is that I am not a stats guy. When it comes to sports I prefer the eyeball test. Baseball is a very statistical game so it's compexities are somewhat foreign to me.

Plus latino names all start to sound the same after a while... What's next, finding out that 'Sandy' wasn't Roberto Alomar's nickname? ;)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the trouble I have with baseball is that I am not a stats guy. When it comes to sports I prefer the eyeball test. Baseball is a very statistical game so it's compexities are somewhat foreign to me.

Plus latino names all start to sound the same after a while... What's next, finding out that 'Sandy' wasn't Roberto Alomar's nickname? ;)

This is a VERY interesting post...

The IDEAS behind what is written here belong almost 100% to someone-who-will-not-be-named, yet, I think, we all take it with a smile and respect Slim's stance.

Doushery will get you nowhere...

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The IDEAS behind what is written here belong almost 100% to someone-who-will-not-be-named, yet, I think, we all take it with a smile and respect Slim's stance.

you get more flies with sugar than shit

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am definitely no troll. I am a drunk with a penchant for sports.

I've been on the ESPN Sharks board for years, I'm sure I could drudge up some references if I need to.

EDIT: Mind you they may not be good references, but they will back my claim :thumb:

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am definitely no troll. I am a drunk with a penchant for sports.

I've been on the ESPN Sharks board for years, I'm sure I could drudge up some references if I need to.

you had me at drunk

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Slim is DEFINITELY not that guy. He's a good dude, he meant his post in jest. He just does't know you all yet.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I hear ya. I had a similar problem. For example, I didn't know Marleau's name becomes Patricia "Patty" Marleau in the playoffs. I was like, "who the hell comes up with this stuff! It's confusing!"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slim is DEFINITELY not that guy. He's a good dude, he meant his post in jest. He just does't know you all yet.

That's how I took it.

I was just noting the difference in HOW it is received.

With Slim, it is (at least by me) received with a smile, even though the content is similar to what "he" would write.

More of a comment/observation on human interaction than anything else...

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. I had a similar problem. For example, I didn't know Marleau's name becomes Patricia "Patty" Marleau in the playoffs. I was like, "who the hell comes up with this stuff! It's confusing!"

Patty (Patricia) Marleau, Joe (Josephine) Thornton, and former shark Dan (Danielle) Heatley.

Now that Heatley is gone maybe Dan Boyle will get the Danielle monicker.