• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we need to start worrying about Jordan Mills?

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and is he the secret to the success of our running game.......at least on the right side of our line?

Evidently Jordan Mills is still limping around in a walking boot after having surgery on his left metatarsal in January and is in jeopardy of missing regular season games according to Michael C. Wright:Bears hold out six from practice - Chicago Bears Blog - ESPN

Bears coach Marc Trestman called Fuller, Mills and Briggs day-to-day. But Mills hasn’t yet played in a preseason outing, and there’s growing concern that his regular-season availability could be in jeopardy.......

Asked if Mills’ regular-season availability could be in jeopardy, Trestman said, “I’m hopeful that it’s not. I’m not trying to get you to insinuate anything. I’m just hopeful it’s not.”
And after watching last week's lack of production in the running game during the preseason scrimmage against the Jags makes me wonder how important Jordan Mills is for our running game....

Thoughts?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and is he the secret to the success of our running game.......at least on the right side of our line?

Evidently Jordan Mills is still limping around in a walking boot after having surgery on his left metatarsal in January and is in jeopardy of missing regular season games according to Michael C. Wright:Bears hold out six from practice - Chicago Bears Blog - ESPN

And after watching last week's lack of production in the running game during the preseason scrimmage against the Jags makes me wonder how important Jordan Mills is for our running game....

Thoughts?

I hope not. Who is his replacement if he's out? I thought Britton was hurt as well. The next rt on the depth chart is joe long, but do you think Charles Leno gets a shot at rt first?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely bothersome. Keeping our starting 5 intact is imperative. Foot injuries for big guys is a tough one. Freaking January tho!? Doesn't sound good to me?:noidea:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say Kyle Long is destined to move to tackle, wonder if this forces the issue if the running game is in trouble. Can put Boggs at center and Garza back at right guard.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are reporting that he practiced today. August 20th! So that's a good sign- We still have almost 3 weeks until the first game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?
I would not worry one little bit about our run game. Preseason means you don't bother much with your strengths and you focus on your weak spots. 0-4 in the preseason means you are a great team. 4-0 means you suck.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm with noon on this. Drawing conclusions based on preseason play is extremely sketchy.

Last year, mills was the weakest link on the line. Unlike garza, though, mills should be getting better with another year under his belt. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say Kyle Long is destined to move to tackle, wonder if this forces the issue if the running game is in trouble. Can put Boggs at center and Garza back at right guard.
I.m thinking the Bears will make him the LT in the future, and probably would not want him to change positions too many times. So my guess would be no. We have other guys that can play Mills position for a spell. Just way to much switch a whole Oline around. So no again.

Mikefive

KFFL Mod... SportsHoopla nobody
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not. Who is his replacement if he's out? I thought Britton was hurt as well. The next rt on the depth chart is joe long, but do you think Charles Leno gets a shot at rt first?
When I went to TC, there was a guy named Dennis Roland who is 6'9" 315# and looked like he could hold his own in Mills' place. He is 31 and has been a Bengals reserve in the past and wears #73. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict they'll give it to that guy if Mills can't go. He's our 2014 version of Jonathan Scott.

The Green Bastard

rat #442 from the SS KFFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ola was supposedly playing surprisingly well at RT while Mills has been out. Is that not the case?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mile Ola is the back up to Mills and has been playing well

C

cubzzzfanincali

I thought Ola was supposedly playing surprisingly well at RT while Mills has been out. Is that not the case?

Oh my God only just now did I realize your nickname and avatar. Awesome! And all of you can go fuck yourselves.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the metrics, Mills wasn't actually very good last season. PFF ranked him as the worst starter on the team. Of course he can and should improve, but I think a lot of people are confusing "OMG, a 5th round rookie isn't completely terrible" with "He's a great player who is miles better than any backup." I'm not even convinced he's uch better than a proven CFL player like Ola.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the metrics, Mills wasn't actually very good last season. PFF ranked him as the worst starter on the team. Of course he can and should improve, but I think a lot of people are confusing "OMG, a 5th round rookie isn't completely terrible" with "He's a great player who is miles better than any backup." I'm not even convinced he's uch better than a proven CFL player like Ola.
:nod:
I think most of us were so accustomed to seeing jailbreaks caused by our OL that mere adequacy was fine last year.

I have some hopes for Mills, but he's hardly irreplaceable.

yutch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at how much inside zone we ran last year, often with Long helping Garza. Mills might not have been a world-beater, but he was trusted with a ridiculously tough challenge for a rookie, and under those terms I think he did awfully well.

I've loved what I've seen of Ola this preseason, but if we're running the same schemes this year as last, the preseason isn't going to be much of an indicator.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at how much inside zone we ran last year, often with Long helping Garza. Mills might not have been a world-beater, but he was trusted with a ridiculously tough challenge for a rookie, and under those terms I think he did awfully well.

I've loved what I've seen of Ola this preseason, but if we're running the same schemes this year as last, the preseason isn't going to be much of an indicator.

Shouldn't be, but I have been very pleased with the performance of the 1st team line. As you pointed out, Ola has stepped up and done quite well.

My big concern is the defense.