• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DJ Peterson

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left tonights game with an injured left wrist.....super

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's our luck. We need to get a package together for Stanton, that or trade Iwakuma for something nice. Then make a run at this Jose Abreu guy. PS these boards are lame, ESPN messed up twice this year. 1) Killing the Baseball Today Podcast and replacing it with garbage Buster. 2) Deleting the boards.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's our luck. We need to get a package together for Stanton, that or trade Iwakuma for something nice. Then make a run at this Jose Abreu guy. PS these boards are lame, ESPN messed up twice this year. 1) Killing the Baseball Today Podcast and replacing it with garbage Buster. 2) Deleting the boards.

Stanton? No way in hell. I say let our prospects develop before trading for a injury prone player.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say stay away from Stanton, wouldn't you? Guy is hitting .237 with 13 homers. Smoak at this point is playing better. I agree that we should let our prospects develop. We have some unexpected suprises in the minors right now. Patrick Kivlehan and Ketel Marte playing at High Desert, Dario Pizzano and Tyler Marlette down at Clinton. I think we are doing well enough that we could be looking at a Tampa Bay Rays type organization in a year or so with continued success. Just be patient.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say stay away from Stanton, wouldn't you? Guy is hitting .237 with 13 homers. Smoak at this point is playing better. I agree that we should let our prospects develop. We have some unexpected suprises in the minors right now. Patrick Kivlehan and Ketel Marte playing at High Desert, Dario Pizzano and Tyler Marlette down at Clinton. I think we are doing well enough that we could be looking at a Tampa Bay Rays type organization in a year or so with continued success. Just be patient.

You guys can't be serious. Stanton has a career .265/.350/.533 line with 106 HRs at 23 yrs old. The guy is a superstar!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Stanton a lot and am a lot more happy with his name being mentioned as a possible trade target than I ever was about Upton.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Stanton a lot and am a lot more happy with his name being mentioned as a possible trade target than I ever was about Upton.

I agree with you. I think Stanton has a bright career ahead of him. I wouldn't have a problem if we traded for him depending on what the price tag is.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can't be serious. Stanton has a career .265/.350/.533 line with 106 HRs at 23 yrs old. The guy is a superstar!

...for the Mariners I guess

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And to basically every other team not named the Angels and Nationals right? Trout, Harper then......?

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 6 OFs (15 Everyday players) have a higher OPS since he came into the league. Only 5 OFs have a higher wRC+ (14 players total). All while being the 2nd youngest player among those players (OF or otherwise), Mike Trout being the youngest.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to basically every other team not named the Angels and Nationals right? Trout, Harper then......?

....Stanton, if the Mariners overpaid for him. I'm not saying anything arguable here.

Comparing him in any way to a once in a generation player like Trout or an elite player at the age of 20 like Harper does nothing but prove my point.

Gambling away the farm for him would be supremely stupid. The youngsters are the only thing that Z may have gotten remotely correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'd have to see specifics about what we'd give away for Stanton first.

Anybody not named Miller, Franklin, Iwakuma, Walker, Hutlzen (unless we know his shoulder is completely fucked), or Peterson, Buxton, or Taveras, and I guess I'd be open.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'd have to see specifics about what we'd give away for Stanton first.

Anybody not named Miller, Franklin, Iwakuma, Walker, Hutlzen (unless we know his shoulder is completely fucked), or Peterson, Buxton, or Taveras, and I guess I'd be open.

With players like Chris Taylor (who has #'s comparable to Miller at a similar point in his career), Tim Lopes, and Ketel Marte coming up in the system. I might be willing to trade Miller or Franklin if it meant landing Stanton.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy am I glad the M's front office is smarter than most of you guys. Trading for Stanton would decimate our farm system and set us back another 10 years. All for what? .265 and some homers? Take a good long time and think about how F'ed our outlook for pitching would be if we traded for Stanton.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy am I glad the M's front office is smarter than most of you guys. Trading for Stanton would decimate our farm system and set us back another 10 years. All for what? .265 and some homers? Take a good long time and think about how F'ed our outlook for pitching would be if we traded for Stanton.

Actually, the cost to get him is what I would be a little leary about. He's 23, already and all star, lead the NL in slugging last year and has committed only 4 errors in 432 career games in RF. He's also under team control until 2017. I would be really surprised if the Marlins would let him go for anything cheap.

Now, I am not as big a fan as some are with Miller, but I wouldn't want to have him in the deal. The big issue the M's have this year on offense is that people only score on HRs, and so someone like Miller who has some speed and gets on base is gonna be important in the lead off spot to help score some runs.

With Stanton's down year, I wouldn't want to come close to what the Marlins asked for the last young star they traded (Miguel Cabrera, and no I am not comparing them cezero). If we could get away with not having to send one of the big pitching prospects (and I can actually see Florida not going for pitching as their pitching staff has been doing extremely well) I wouldn't mind seeing what could be figured out.

Maybe (and I'm just throwing this out there):

Carlos Truinfel
Stefen Romero
Abraham Almonte

In the long run, I am not sure if the M's even have a legitimate shot at trading for him, and to be honest, I'm ok with that. I would hate to see the team trade 6 top prospects or MLB ready players for just about anyone, and with how old the Marlins are right now, I just don't see them giving up one of their few young players for cheap.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was young Miguel Cabrera...hell yeah

Stanton has incredible power...but it doesn't look like he's ever going to be a guy that hits for a high avg

I think if you ever trade the farm away for a hitter...that guy has to be a franchise player...someone who hits for power AND for avg.

Remember when Cabrera was traded as a 24 year old...he had just come off three seasons batting .323, .339 and .320 all while hitting 33, 26 and 34 hrs and driving in 110+ rbi in each of those years.

To me...Stanton is essentially a Mike Morse that blossoms much earlier in his career...

Stanton would command a superstar contract and a boat load of prospects to acquire. Morse would probably come at a decent price...and would cost zero prospects from the farm system

I mean, check out the 3 year splits between the two players

Stanton - .270 avg .350 obp .553 slg .903 ops
Morse - .296 avg .345 obp .516 slg .861 ops

I would love to have Stanton at the right price...but considering his regression in avg...some of his health issues...is he worth the prospects and money we would have to give to get him? In my opinion...resigning Morse would be a better value for us. I honestly think that a healthy Morse would give us 25-30 hrs and a .270-.280 avg.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Truinfel
Stefen Romero
Abraham Almonte

Not a chance in hell the Marlins would take this group for Stanton. I'm thinking they would at least ask for:
Franklin
Romero
Peterson
Walker or Hultzen or both
and I wouldnt be suprised if they asked for Seager as well(not Justin)

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance in hell the Marlins would take this group for Stanton. I'm thinking they would at least ask for:
Franklin
Romero
Peterson
Walker or Hultzen or both
and I wouldnt be suprised if they asked for Seager as well(not Justin)

Then I say walk. That's four of the Mariners top 10 prospects (according to seattle.mariners.mlb.com; 1,2,3 & 7) and a young MLB player. 3 if not all 5 of those guys could be on the roster next year as contributors. Too much, let someone else overpay for him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would make a play for him and if the price is right you get yourself a foundation player. If the price is too high, you pass on him just like you would on any other player if the price was too high.

I would stick with an offer of:

Ackley
Maurer
Montero
Ramirez

If that doesn't get it done, then move on. You could always add filler like Triunfel, Peggy, or Capps. All these guys are replaceable and quantity isn't in an issue thatquality is just like the Cabrera trade they did with Detroit.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta give up something to get something..... I think we should test the waters at least. I also don't see the love affair for Iwakuma. I like the guy but he's 32 and we need to be cashing in while he's doing well. His value won't be any higher. If we send almost the same package as we did for Upton but you replace Franklin with someone like Hultzen who cares. I never wanted Danny from the start anyways.