• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Division 4??

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody out there have any idea where college football is headed? If the five BCS conferences (B1G, B12, P12, SEC, ACC) effectively leave the NCAA what changes can we expect? Word is that they would start paying players (via a larger stipend) but I know that the B1G and P12 are against that. I also have to believe the supposed 4-team playoff would be dead and increased to at least eight.

I have significant contacts within UofM's President's office and I know they are expecting an internal battle with the AD department. In the B1G, it is pretty much the CIC vs B1G. Big $$$'s on both sides.

My thought is that only 4 conferences would make the cut. The B1G, P!@ and SEC are definites with some kind of combination of the B12 and ACC making up the final group.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't fewer teams in the mix mean that a 4 team playoff would work better? 8 is too many.

Yeah but it would mean more $$$'s

Also, if there are 5 conferences to start off, I would assume the 5 champions would get a spot in the bracket with 3 wild cards.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ughh.... you're probably right but SOB I hate that idea. I'm already not liking the way this 4 team thing is shaping up with having ADs on this super special committee with only a few people on it so that they can be easily manipulated, corrupted and bribed.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. It has the potential off shutting down a lot of "second tier" programs.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this division 4 would ruin college football, way too much power for the conferences, if they start paying players it will basically turn it into a minor NFL league

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this division 4 would ruin college football, way too much power for the conferences, if they start paying players it will basically turn it into a minor NFL league

yep, the good programs like BSU wouldn't be able to compete for the top athletes that will go to one of the major conferences in order to get that paycheck.

It will be like going back before limits on scholarships.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all be honest college football is no longer college football, it's the minor league for the NFL. The student athlete is dead. Some athletes still believe in education, but can you expect 18-22 year old kids to study when they could work out and make it to the NFL. They all dream of the NFL, so how can you expect them to care about their education? There on TV every Saturday, there famous. In this day in age in football and basketball is a minor league for the pro leagues.

We can either start paying athletes for their time and dedication to the schools or keep letting it happen against the rules. It happens either way, so why not make it legal and move on? Pay them something plus the free education and it's a fair deal. If they say fuck my education, that's up to you. Your getting paid to play football.

I think we all know this is true, but some want to lie to themselves and think college athletics isn't corrupt.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

College BBall and football already are. Do you watch the D-League over UK? That says it all really. College athletics is the real minor leagues.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody out there have any idea where college football is headed? If the five BCS conferences (B1G, B12, P12, SEC, ACC) effectively leave the NCAA what changes can we expect? Word is that they would start paying players (via a larger stipend) but I know that the B1G and P12 are against that. I also have to believe the supposed 4-team playoff would be dead and increased to at least eight.

I have significant contacts within UofM's President's office and I know they are expecting an internal battle with the AD department. In the B1G, it is pretty much the CIC vs B1G. Big $$$'s on both sides.

My thought is that only 4 conferences would make the cut. The B1G, P!@ and SEC are definites with some kind of combination of the B12 and ACC making up the final group.

cue espn rehashed threads circa 2006.....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all be honest college football is no longer college football, it's the minor league for the NFL. The student athlete is dead. Some athletes still believe in education, but can you expect 18-22 year old kids to study when they could work out and make it to the NFL. They all dream of the NFL, so how can you expect them to care about their education? There on TV every Saturday, there famous. In this day in age in football and basketball is a minor league for the pro leagues.

We can either start paying athletes for their time and dedication to the schools or keep letting it happen against the rules. It happens either way, so why not make it legal and move on? Pay them something plus the free education and it's a fair deal. If they say fuck my education, that's up to you. Your getting paid to play football.

I think we all know this is true, but some want to lie to themselves and think college athletics isn't corrupt.

It has to be tough on these kids, though. They all overestimate their abilities and feel like they are holding a winning lotto ticket. The extra money in college is important but more important is the perception (reality?) that the new division would be the easiest path to the NFL.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be tough on these kids, though. They all overestimate their abilities and feel like they are holding a winning lotto ticket. The extra money in college is important but more important is the perception (reality?) that the new division would be the easiest path to the NFL.

It's where these big college football schools are going. You can fight it, but it's gonna happen. I mean did we watch NFL Europe over college football? College football is the minor league to the NFL.

I'll agree most kids think NFL and don't ever make it, but that's why they should be paid. D-Leaguers make what 30k a year? Not much more if it's anymore. They at least get paid if they don't make it. Instead of all these kids that don't get a degree or make it. What happens to them?

Last edited by a moderator:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt it is going to happen.

I am just curious what folks think it will look like. Delaney has been dead set against paying athletes and cited the O'Bannon case as a reason to leave the NCAA for that reason. Now I am hearing that the converse is the case, that Bowlsby is indicating the B12 will leave so that it can play it's players.

And what of the various TV contracts? I would imagine that a united group (new division) would have far more leverage as a whole.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Div 1 needs a 3 way split

the p5
the g5
FCS

this stuff is starting to get ridiculous. there is no way alabama and northern colorado should be competing for the same title

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Div 1 needs a 3 way split

the p5
the g5
FCS

this stuff is starting to get ridiculous. there is no way alabama and northern colorado should be competing for the same title

Agreed but I watched the Michigan-Alabama game last year and they weren't really competing either.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed but I watched the Michigan-Alabama game last year and they weren't really competing either.

You make a good point. Hell the SEC might just leave the NCAA and they would be the best football league behind the NFL.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. One small problem, they would have no powderpuff teams to schedule if they did that unless they struck a deal with some juco's.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'DIVISION 4' becoming reality. CFB to look different

It seems everything has been aligning for this to happen. Now with the Big 12 commish Bowlsby heavily pushing the idea and the ACC's recent moves to solidify their conference. You cant help but think this is going to re shape CFB. Boise and Cincy better start beating on the door and not stop knocking til someone lets them in. Cuz this appears more likely than not now.

Lots of changes. Pay players? Larger playoff?

Read for yourselves....

Look for Division 4 to revolutionize college athletics - CBSSports.com