• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dish soap for radiator?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading of people using Cascade automatic dishwasher detergent for flushing out their radiators and cooling systems. Have you guys tried this before? Do you put it in the radiator cap or the reserve tank???

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just put it right in the radiator. Personally I think radiator flush products are bullshit. You can stick a hose in the radiator cap, turn it on full blast and take off the bottom hose and if there's any rust, it's going to come out.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I'd put detergent in there. Just rinse with water and make sure you get the right antifreeze mix back when you are done.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just put it right in the radiator. Personally I think radiator flush products are bullshit. You can stick a hose in the radiator cap, turn it on full blast and take off the bottom hose and if there's any rust, it's going to come out.

After putting it in I've read mixed reviews on if you should cap it and drive around or just let it run with the cap off. Any suggestions?

My plan was to put it in, cap it and drive it to my folks place and drain it there where I don't have to worry about the mess. ~30 min drive.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I'd put detergent in there. Just rinse with water and make sure you get the right antifreeze mix back when you are done.

They say Cascade is ok because it doesn't foam or leave any residue but will clean better than just water.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Makes sense. At least then it would cycle through the heater core.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I'd do. Hose pressure with the bottom outlet hose on the radiator off and anything loose is going to come out. Anything that doesn't come out is not a problem. Add proper ratio of antifreeze and forget about it.

Is the radiator really old?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more to flushing a radiator than just running fresh water thru it.
There is a corrosive process taking place similar to what happens in your water heater at your house.

The chemicals they use to flush the radiator, neutralize that process.

Thank you for your attention, carry on.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cascade method works well if you have a really fouled Radiator. If it is just time to change the antifreeze/coolant drain the radiator the Cascade method is kinda overkill.

JFYI the Red coolant used on GM "Dexcool" and some other vehicles is Junk you need to really clean out the system good and switch over to the Old school Green.

I have been doing this for years on the cars I sell on my car lot, but don't ever mix them you will end up with a sluggish looking Jello melted type sludge.

Good luck