• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dipoto's First Hire: Player Personnel Director

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources: McKay hired as player personnel director
By Greg Johns / MLB.com | @gregjohnsmlb |

SEATTLE -- Andy McKay, who has spent the past three years as the peak performance director in the Rockies organization, will be the new player personnel director of the Mariners, according to sources.

The Mariners have not confirmed the hire, which may not be finalized until later this week after new general manager Jerry Dipoto returns from California. But multiple sources say McKay will be named to replace Chris Gwynn, who resigned as the Mariners' farm director on Oct. 8.

McKay would be an interesting hire for Dipoto, who replaced Jack Zduriencik as Seattle's GM a month ago. The early assumption was Dipoto would bring Scott Servais, the current Angels player personnel director, up from Anaheim to fill that role, but indications are that Servais could come to Seattle as an assistant to the GM instead.

McKay has been with the Rockies the past three years as their sports psychologist after working for 13 seasons as the head baseball coach at Sacramento City College. He also has coached in the Cape Cod and Northwoods summer baseball leagues. With the Rockies, he worked at various times with the Major League squad, as well as with all the club's Minor League teams.

Dipoto is in the process of hiring a new manager to replace Lloyd McClendon, as well as several front-office positions. In addition to Gwynn's resignation, Dipoto chose to not renew the contracts of three special assistants to Zduriencik -- Ted Simmons, Joe McIlvaine and Pete Vuckovich.

The Mariners have retained assistant GM Jeff Kingston, special assistants to the GM Roger Hansen and Ken Madeia, pro scouting director Tom Allison, amateur scouting director Tom McNamara, and international operations director Tim Kissner.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting hire. I never heard of this guy and I am not sure his background fits the part. Really interesting.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting hire. I never heard of this guy and I am not sure his background fits the part. Really interesting.
Well if you think about it, it makes complete sense. After Jack Z's years of bed shitting it has left many in the organization with PTSD. So a psychologist is exactly what the M's need.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness who knows at this point. The guy appears to have an interesting background as it relates to baseball.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness who knows at this point. The guy appears to have an interesting background as it relates to baseball.

Interesting is right. Who knows at this point what is good and what isn't.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New director of player development Andy McKay comes to the Mariners with a vision and plan
Share Story
By Shannon Drayer, 710 ESPN Seattle | October 21, 2015 @ 5:09 pm
Interestingly enough, general manager Jerry Dipoto's first major hire for the Mariners is a man with whom he has no history.

"I met him for the first time last week," said Andy McKay, the organization's new director of player development.

McKay comes to the Mariners after serving as the peak performance coordinator for the Rockies since 2012. Before that he coached baseball at Sacramento City College for 14 seasons and taught physical education and business as well. With a new organization and an opening in the critical area of player development, Dipoto reached out to McKay, who admits that he hadn't given thought to the position in Seattle. He was committed to what he was doing with the Rockies but was interested to see if the Mariners could be a fit.

"I went into the interview not going to hold back," he said. "I was going to explain exactly what I believe and why I believe it and if they take it, great. If not, it was not meant to be. It seemed like a very good connection, it seemed we were on the same page. 'Here's what I am about. If you are interested, let's keep talking.' "

The conversation with Dipoto continued and McKay came to realize that their philosophies were similar.

"It was the way that he looked at the game, which for me is that in my opinion there is nobody who is really doing it well," McKay said. "I think everyone is doing OK. I think that there is an enormous amount of gap between where we are as an industry and where we can get to. I have never been satisfied with the status quo. Where we are today is not where we are going to be tomorrow; there's always a better way to do it. Even when you are doing it well, there is a better way. I've always connected to people who share that thought process and have the intellectual curiosity to challenge themselves and ask questions that maybe no one else is asking. To get better answers you have got ask better questions and a lot of time those questions are asking about ourselves and how we are doing our jobs. But I know from a teaching standpoint, the ability to take information and translate it into a student and have that student bring it to life through performance, there's tremendous room for improvement. Across the board in all industries."

It is not just a matter of hitting the ball farther, running faster or throwing a pitch with more precision. It's about thinking better as well. That is about to become a prime focus in the Mariners organization.

"You enter professional baseball and in my estimation there are 10 percent of those players that can just separate themselves on physical ability, that are that good," McKay said. "(Most) can't separate themselves at the major-league level with their physical ability and so the game really does become 100 percent mental for those players. Their ability to focus on the right thing at the right time. Their ability to get through a long season without losing focus, maintaining confidence, which is so fragile in baseball."

Like many players invested in the mental side of the game, McKay was first inspired by the book "The Mental Side of Baseball" by Harvey Dorfman, which he first read when he was 18 and struggling in baseball.

"It completely knocked me sideways and gave me a different angle to look at the game from," he said.

The book opened the door to an endless pursuit of finding the mental edge.

"It's ever-evolving. You never really have it. You are always having to stay current and there's endless amounts of new research going on at all times opening new doors for you," McKay said.

He's translated what he has read into a usable program that can be implemented with players. There are methods and programs both in learning and evaluation.

"I like to take the idea that we can formalize that process and hold people accountable for their continuous growth and their never-ending improvement process. That will be a big part of what we are doing."

The big picture, running of the farm system comes first, and to that end McKay plans to travel often to the affiliates and work side by side with the coaches.

"You are trying to develop authentic relationships with people and it is a lot easier to do that when you are not separating yourself from the group," he said. "When I am out on the field I want to coach, I want to be a part of that staff. It's called player development but it's coaching development as well. Coaches have to get better, coaches have to improve, coaches have to be coachable. If you are working in our department, we are all a work in progress and everybody has got to get better. Everyone will get better."

It will take time to implement, but McKay comes to the organization with a vision.

"The culture you are trying to create is more important than the strategy," he said. "If you believe that, then you go to work each day knowing that I am fighting for my culture. I am fighting to create a workplace environment that can ultimately mold people. To do that you have to connect with people. I have to know people, I have to communicate, I have to get them to trust me and that takes time, but you can cut that time down considerably if you show up each day knowing that this is my priority. I have to build a culture and I feel confident I can do that."

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a real interesting hire with an all around good approach to his role. With prospects, he's definitely worked with some of the best in the Cape League. Pretty unique background with managerial / coaching experience, and sports psychology. How it translates to success or failure in the farm system, we'll find out soon enough. Can't be any worse than it's been can it?