• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DiPoto says the Mariners are buyers

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems ridiculous to me, given the age of our core players, but, according to a quote from DiPoto seen in MLBTR (and below), the Mariners will be adding before the trade deadline:

The Mariners are one of only a few teams open to adding payroll in deadline trades, which one official describes as not “as good as having prospects, but it is an asset.” The M’s began 2017 with a record payroll of more than $155.2MM, so with such a major financial investment already made, it makes sense that GM Jerry Dipoto and company are willing to spend a bit more to get the team over the hump. Dipoto recently stated that the team is still planning to add at the deadline, though Seattle ends the first half with a 43-47 record (albeit four games out of a wild card spot).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

DiPoto is probably like, "OMG KING FELIX IS BACK WE CAN TOTALLY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NOW!!!!! ZGOFMF!!!"

He was probably high due to this mess of a team and forgot we were playing Oakland.

Seriously Mariners FO? You've gone 2-5 in your last 7 against mediocre/GARBAGE teams (don't get me started on the Phillies, swept by Royals, and can't even win series against the As). If the < 1% chance this team did actually make the playoffs, I'm sure the Baseball World will 'enjoy' Houston routing us 3-0 in the series.

Last edited:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire his faith in the team, but I think it is unwise to invest any more in our core players (Cano, Cruz, Felix, Seager). Age is not on their side.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is trying to win over the fanbase by his remarks. Best thing for this team is to play for next year and make moves that help that team and not this one. If the best move is no move, then that is what he should do. Trade Cruz while his value is at its highest. Outside of him and Paxton, not really any return value players in this organization. Seager next closest. If they believe in Valencia, they can deal Seager, move Valencia to 3B, and Gamel to 1B.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire his faith in the team, but I think it is unwise to invest any more in our core players (Cano, Cruz, Felix, Seager). Age is not on their side.

Agreed and I'd hate to see the M's give up the next Adam Jones when the division is already out of reach meaning they would be going all in for a 1 game wild card that they'd probably have to play on the road. I don't like it, not with this team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is trying to win over the fanbase by his remarks. Best thing for this team is to play for next year and make moves that help that team and not this one. If the best move is no move, then that is what he should do. Trade Cruz while his value is at its highest. Outside of him and Paxton, not really any return value players in this organization. Seager next closest. If they believe in Valencia, they can deal Seager, move Valencia to 3B, and Gamel to 1B.

I was going to say it but you mentioned it, the only person in the entire organization right now that could get them a great return would be Paxton IMO. They'd have to sell in order to buy with how weak the farm system is.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can say all he want's, but the reality is we are too light in the farm system to properly buy while too light on the major league squad to be a strong seller. The AL race for the WC is super weak, and we are an on the cusp team worthy of one of the spots when we are firing on all cylinders; I don't think all of the AL teams in the race can say that. It's a little infuriating when they decide to add payroll at the trade deadline rather than add payroll during free agency all while knowing we were going to be weak in areas for this team. Seams a little back asswords if you ask me.

I still have to give JeDi a lot of credit for forming what seems to be one of the more promising young outfields in baseball while securing possibly the best hitting SS for our future. No GM hits on everything, and he inherited quite the turd of an organization. The future is bright, but he may be grasping at straws on this one.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can say all he want's, but the reality is we are too light in the farm system to properly buy while too light on the major league squad to be a strong seller. The AL race for the WC is super weak, and we are an on the cusp team worthy of one of the spots when we are firing on all cylinders; I don't think all of the AL teams in the race can say that. It's a little infuriating when they decide to add payroll at the trade deadline rather than add payroll during free agency all while knowing we were going to be weak in areas for this team. Seams a little back asswords if you ask me.

I still have to give JeDi a lot of credit for forming what seems to be one of the more promising young outfields in baseball while securing possibly the best hitting SS for our future. No GM hits on everything, and he inherited quite the turd of an organization. The future is bright, but he may be grasping at straws on this one.

Right on point.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,740.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say it but you mentioned it, the only person in the entire organization right now that could get them a great return would be Paxton IMO. They'd have to sell in order to buy with how weak the farm system is.

Yeah too bad... Seager's trade value has taken a bit of hit...

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they go 10-6 in the next 16 against an unfavorable schedule they shouldn't be. 10-6 is probably conservative too. I think you need 11-5. That puts you 2 over .500 on the 31st

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah too bad... Seager's trade value has taken a bit of hit...

That's why I'm not in favor of trading him right now. Seems pointless to dump a guy at his lowest value. Next year feels like the last true chance to do something with this core so see if he can rebound and deal him next year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm unsure what he plans on buying with. The Mariners don't exactly have the deepest farm system.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said per report that he isn't trading Cruz who has the most trade value on this team and is not a long term option obviously so not real sure what the plan is. Not sure Mariners do either.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3cb68e606849c196aa7f6f075e9f3beaec51ff2a62eae36677196313e0afe90a.jpg

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said per report that he isn't trading Cruz who has the most trade value on this team and is not a long term option obviously so not real sure what the plan is. Not sure Mariners do either.

I'm sure deep down he's thinking Robbie would pout if he did....

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, we need to make a big statement and TRADE a bunch of players.

Dyson, Trade. Just TRADE him.
Seager, value is lower now, but some team will bite.
Cruz, value is high, but DH might limit value
Paxton, will get hurt again, possibly this year again. TRADE him.
Diaz, I'm all for trading him if and only if we get a huge haul, but I'd listen to offers.
Any other reliever, deal them but ONLY if we win the trade.

Cano and Felix, probably NOT tradeable, so I'm fine with keeping Robbie and Felix
Segura, NO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, we need to make a big statement and TRADE a bunch of players.

Dyson, Trade. Just TRADE him.
Seager, value is lower now, but some team will bite.
Cruz, value is high, but DH might limit value
Paxton, will get hurt again, possibly this year again. TRADE him.
Diaz, I'm all for trading him if and only if we get a huge haul, but I'd listen to offers.
Any other reliever, deal them but ONLY if we win the trade.

Cano and Felix, probably NOT tradeable, so I'm fine with keeping Robbie and Felix
Segura, NO.

You're not wrong.