• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did your team make the Blue Blood list?

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait!!!!

Did you see the new centipede? It’s a couple of pages back.

Did your team make the Blue Blood list?

Gog help us if @steelerssb ever gets his hands on this.
images

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6%? LOL...Scroll down that list just a bit more and I am sure they listed teams that received 1%.

Congrats Washington. You did it.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not right, that chart is a joke. Not the part about there only being 8 blue bloods, it probably got that part right. And it's not even because Minnesota ISN'T among the Top 8/blue bloods on the list, although his 30 deep list, they should be on THAT list, but it's a joke because programs like Wisconsin and VT AND WEST VIRGINIA are on there.

The chart's opening remarks say a program's dominance must not only span coaches, but generations. So how does a program like Minnesota whose dominance spanned AT LEAST 8 entire decades. Natties won in 5 of those decades by 3 different coaches, Conf Titles won in 7 of the 8, and multiple players from 7 of those 8 decades are enshrined in the Cfb Hall of Fame, and former Gophers kicking tail in pro football spans across EVERY decade for the last 13 decades, from the very first Pro fb player in history, Pudge Heffelfinger whose statue greets everyone visiting the Pro Football Hall of Fame at the entrance, to Tony Dungy becoming the first ever Black coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl Title just over a decade ago. In between, Pudge's time at Minnesota and becoming the first ever pro fb player in history, and Dungy's historic Super Bowl win, a UMner invented Cheerleading, then Pudge, as an asst to Head Coach Henry L Williams helped Williams develop the 4 man backfield which contributed to UMn's undefeated team stopping Michigan's Point a minute squad, tying the eventual Natl Champs in 1903. Bobby Marshall became the first black player to play in the B1G Conf. Williams was one of the first to propose the forward pass and one of the first to utilize it successfully in the teens. In 1920 former Gopher Bobby Marshall became the first ever black fb player to play in the NFL. Former Gopher Gil Dobie was establishing the long held cfb record unbeaten streak that was so long, it spanned THREE different coaching gigs, including his entire career at the University of Washington. This is a record that may never be matched. In the 20s Bronko Nagurski was so good he was named to the All-American team at 3 different positions, 2 in the same year even. And this was legit, as the DEFENSIVE Cfb POY Award is named after him, yet he was inducted into the Pro Fb Hall of Fame as an offensive player as a Fullback and was so good a famous movie scene was all about how Nagurski came out of retirement to help his old team win the Championship again in 1943. Former Gophers were coached so well by Henry Williams that they even shared Natl Titles as coaches as they did in 1940 when both Bernie Bierman coaching the Gophers went undefeated and were named Natl Champs and Clark Shaughnessy coaching Stanford went undefeated and were also named Natl Champs. So good were former Gophers at coaching, that Tulane University hired 3 straight former Gophers to coach them and for 3-4 decades Tulane was actually a blue blood. And at least one of the Natl Titles Bierman won at Minnesota was called the Henry L Williams Trophy, as it was renamed that after Minnesota won the Knute Rockne Trophy 3 times in a row. Had Bierman won the Title in 1942, it would have been retired and renamed after him possibly? But instead, Bierman's dominance at Minnesota was so dominating that it literally took the US Govt choosing to get involved in WW2 to end UMn's dominance as they were picked to win the Natl Title again, in 1942, which would have been their 6th Title in 9 years, but instead Bierman was taken away and placed as the coach of the Iowa Seahawks military training team, and over half of the Gopher's players were scooped away for military service several who ended up playing AGAINST the Gophers, including Unanimous All-American Bill Daley who finished 7th in the Heisman voting in 1943. But the kick in the nuts was when it was the Iowa Seahawks coached by Bernie Bierman himself and with a roster that included several former Gophers, were the team that ended UMn's winning streak. So it was Notre Dame who eventually retired the Henry L Williams trophy and got it renamed. After the war and after Bernie Bierman had to try to rebuild the program basically from scratch with players who, Bud Grant admitted to later on, didn't respond well to Bierman's coaching style because of their wartime experiences. They were probably good enough to win another Title in 1949 but the bad attitudes of the players, Bud Grant himself admitted, cost the team their 2 losses. So after Bierman who was already very old, retired, and UMn had missed out on the opportunity to hire either former Gophers Biggie Munn or Bud Wilkinson who combined dominated the late 1940s and early 1950s cfb scene, the UMn admin went with an outsider, and his failing to make an immediate impact got them seriously considering giving up on football all together, but then Warmath came out of nowhere, partly due to his being one of the first to bring in lots of black players, unusual in the 50s, and won the Natl Title in 1960 and continued doing well throughout the 60s. UMn's influence on the game of football in the 50s and into the 60s was SO WIDE, that former Gophers were taking turns coaching their teams to the CFL Grey Cup Championship game, and former Gophers were taking turns coaching their cfb teams to Natl Titles, all while UMn was doing fairly good as well. In 1962, Wisc, coached by a former Gopher, finished #2, Oklahoma, coached by a former Gopher finished #8, UMn finished #10, and Mizzou, coached by a former UMn-Duluth player, who was coached by a former Gopher, finished #12 in the nation all while Bud Grant's team was winning the Grey Cup Title. Biggie Munn stepped away from the sideline to lead MSU into the B1G conf as their Athletic Director, Bud Wilkinson retired soon after the 62 season and went into politics and being a game announcer/commentator and a very good one I've read, Devine moved on to Notre Dame and a Natl Title and infamy in how he was portrayed in the movie Rudy, Bud Grant went on into a Pro Hall of Fame career as an NFL coach, and Murray Warmath retired soon after winning a share of the Big Ten title in 1967 and unfortunately not getting his name in the cfb Hall of Fame where it probably deserves to be. Warmath's players went on to dominate in the NFL in the late 1960s and well into the 1970s and even a few into the 1980s. Bierman's former players continued coaching as late as into the 80s, as well as at least one of Warmath's players although most of his ended up playing in the NFL, not coaching. And Bierman's and that one Warmath player's impact on the game lasted into the 21st Century as both Tony Dungy and multiple CFL Title winning Coach Marc Trestman played for Cal Stoll while he was coaching Minnesota and beating #1 ranked Michigan in 77. And among Joe Salem's assistant coaches were Mike Martz and Mike Shanahan.

Now I'm sure I missed a bunch. The B1G conf didn't allow B1G teams to play in bowl games for most of UMn's peak years, so they weren't able to build up a ton of bowl game wins like some programs, yet since they became supposedly "irrelevant", they still were able to play in Bowl games in each of the last 6 decades, and have gotten to a bowl game in 15 of the 20 years of the 21st Century, so far, winning 7 of them, including their last 4.

Did I mention that UMn has had players end up the high pt scorer in the entire NFL 10 times by 4 different players in 4 different decades?

Did I mention that UMn has had players end up as NFL All-Decade players 10 times in 6 different decades, more than any other school that I am aware of, as I checked after the 2000s all-Decade team, not after the 2010s team came out.

Looking at the teams on that list,
UMn has SIX Recognized Titles & 4-6 Poll Era Titles(34 AP & 35 UPI polls make it 6 for UMn), and UMn has a

1-0 record vs Bama,
1-0 record vs Clemson. Clemson has just 3 Poll Era Titles, and 3 Recognized Titles.
1-0 record vs Auburn. Auburn has just 2 Poll Era Titles, and 3 Recognized Titles.
1-0 record vs Texas. UT has just 5 Poll Era Titles and 4 Recognized Titles.
1-0 record vs Ark. Ark has just 1 recognized Title
1-0 record vs GT. GT has just 1 Poll Era Title and 4 Recognized Titles
33-25-2 rcrd vs Nebraska
10-7 record vs Washington
9-3 record vs Pitt. Pitt has just 2 Poll Era Titles.
2-1 record vs UCLA. UCLA has just 1 Poll Era Title & only 1 Recognized Title.
62-49-2 rcrd vs Iowa. Iowa has ZERO Poll Era Titles, but 1 Recognized Title.
1-1-1 rcrd vs Stanford. Stanford has ZERO Poll Era Titles, but 1 Recognized Title.

That's 12 of the 30 teams on that list. UMn's cumulative record vs those 12 blue bloods & potential blue bloods is

123-86-5

61-37-3 not including Iowa.

We never played Geo, LSU, Flor, A&M, FSU, Miami, VT or WVU.

That brings it to TWENTY. 20 of the 30 teams on that list either never played the Gophers or do NOT have a winning record vs the Gophers. Of the teams on that list, who have not played Minnesota, lets compare # of Titles

UMn = 6 Recognized Titles. 4/6 Poll Era Titles.
LSU = 5 Recognized Titles. 4 Poll Era Titles.
Mia = 5 Recognized Titles. 5 Poll Era Titles.
Flor = 3 Recognized Titles. 3 Poll Era Titles.
FSU = 3 Recognized Titles. 3 Poll Era Titles.
VTch = 0 Recognized Titles. 0 Poll Era Titles.
WVU = 0 Recognized Titles. 0 Poll Era Titles.

Michigan, just for those who are interested? Just TWO poll Era Titles. Pitt also has only 2 Poll Era Titles.
Col, Geo, GT, A&M, UCLA all only have 1 Poll Era Title.

Of the 10 remaining teams, Tennessee has just a 0-1 record vs UMn, and just 2 Poll Era Titles & only 4 Recognized Titles.
PSU has just a 6-9 advantage over Minnesota in head to head, & PSU has just 2 Poll Era Titles & only 4 Recognized Titles.

OSU & Mich have massive advantages over the Gophers, as does Notre Dame and USC.

That leaves Oklahoma, of the 8 legit Blue Bloods, with a decent advantage over the Gophers, but I must remind you all, it was a former Gopher that made Oklahoma into what they are, Bud Wilkinson led them to their first three Titles.

MSU, one of the few I haven't mentioned yet, has some advantages over the Gophers, mainly head to head, but MSU hardly existed before WW2, so that head to head thing would probably be in the Gophers favor had they played regularly before WW2, and it was a former Gopher, Biggie Munn who made them what they became. So there is that.

Leaving only 2 teams, 1 I am not sure, probably not important, the other is Wisconsin. We were tied 60-60-1 going into 2019. And UW has ZERO Titles of any kind, they don't even claim one.

So, not claiming in any way that UMn is a blue blood, but they absolutely belong on that Top 30 list. And I know exactly which team they could replace, Virginia Tech.

copy pasta triggered mode activated

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re a dim bulb. Less than a watt

Wow, yeah, I didn't look for a stupid retarded secret message in someone's listed favorite team logos. NUTJOB.

Dude, you realize that there are secret messages in the Bible, too? You didn't see them? They are right there for anyone to see? How could you miss them? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, eh? Not the brightest bulb on the X-Mas tree? Wow, not impressed.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, yeah, I didn't look for a stupid retarded secret message in someone's listed favorite team logos. NUTJOB.

Dude, you realize that there are secret messages in the Bible, too? You didn't see them? They are right there for anyone to see? How could you miss them? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, eh? Not the brightest bulb on the X-Mas tree? Wow, not impressed.

weak sauce come back

you’re mad cause I outed you as a doofuss

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weak sauce come back

you’re mad cause I outed you as a doofuss

You are a joke. No one here takes you seriously. NONE of your posts contain any substance whatsoever. All lame ass not even jr high level low quality smack. It's pathetic.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a joke. No one here takes you seriously. NONE of your posts contain any substance whatsoever. All lame ass not even jr high level low quality smack. It's pathetic.

Nope. Everyone told me that you were a joke. A troll with a mullet. Nothing to take seriously.
Already proven.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To start off, we need to establish: Consistency =/= all time.

1) Nebraska has had more below .500 seasons in the past 60 years
2) Penn State can easily eclipse Nebraska in terms of all-time wins in just a year or 2.
3) Conference Championships are automatically irrelevant due to the 72-year gap between the two schools in terms of conference joining. And so far in this century, Penn State has outmatched Nebraska 3-0 in terms of conference championships. I couldn't really care for Pre-World War 2 Conference title relics you have. Consistency =/= all time.
4) Imagine bragging about bowl games despite being below .500 for them. Meanwhile, Penn State is ranked 5th all-time for their Bowl Record. To even the playing fields we'll play in the current NY6 (Cotton, Fiesta, Orange, Peach, Rose, & Sugar) Bowls, with their record: Penn State 16-7-1 Nebraska 14-19. Clearly, Penn State is more consistent when playing at the actual big games.
5) Nice bragging with draft picks...guess who is more consistent? You guessed it, my man! Penn State! With more first-round draft picks of course. Besides, Penn State can once again eclipse Nebraska in a short time.
6) Bragging about the poll? Really? It's been close to a whopping two decades since Nebraska was a consistent Top 10 team...unlike...Penn State. Since the 60's Penn State has in fact at some point been consistent with being in the Top 10 albeit with hiccups here and there. But the stats still remain.
7) I've already addressed the reason why Penn State doesn't seem to have all these accolades, it's themselves to blame. Penn State has had a whopping five years when they went undefeated yet no national championship went there a way (the only year undefeated w/title was in 1986) but since they were independent, they got negged. And I hope you understand that using NCAA's golden boy Notre Dame as an example simply just doesn't work.

Now now, before you type your response I just wanted to clear up on some things:
1) I'm not saying Nebraska is a bad program nor non-blue blood. They're successful and deserve the praise they get, what I said was simply Penn State is more consistent, unlike Nebraska. And I hoped that I proved that to you.
2) You need to realize with each passing year, your accolades become more worthless. The reason why UM and ND are Blue Bloods is solely prestige and not success. And Nebraska is becoming like them. Completely irrelevant for a while now.
3) And I'm not saying Penn State is a better program, obviously not, but once again more consistent, and that alone puts them in that Blue Blood category.

Ok, this is long, but easy to read.

1. The past 60 years Penn St has had 5 sub .500 seasons. Nebraska has had 8. I feel like that is splitting hairs, but you brought it up...

The past 60 years Penn St has had 24 double digit winning seasons. Nebraska has had 26.

In that time frame, Penn St won 2 national titles. Nebraska won 5.

2. That is true. Penn St could beat out Nebraska in total wins in a year or two and given how bad Nebraska has been as of late, I would almost say that it is expected. However, Penn St has also been playing for 3 years longer than Nebraska. One would think that accomplishing more in less time (even if that 'less time' isn't egregious) is better than accomplishing less in more time.

3. Don't bash the conference titles just because you don't have them. I would agree with you that this statistic is not comparable being as how Penn St was an independent for so long. I find it funny that you want to be the one to set the timeframes as standards for all these topics. That is called cherry picking. If we are going to talk conference titles, lets keep it fair... Penn St joined a conference in 1993, lets start there.

Since 1993 - Penn St has 2 outright conference titles and 2 split conference titles. Nebraska has had 5 outright conference titles.

4. I am responding with the assumption that your numbers are correct. You can talk about consistency all you want, fact is that Nebraska has been consistently better than Penn St - hence being invited to nearly 10 more NY6 bowls. Penn St is fairly consistent, problem is that they are very rarely consistently at the top. Whereas Nebraska was perennially at the top throughout the much of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's.

5. More 1st rounders makes you more consistent? What's the logic there? I am curious, hopefully you can help me and this is honest and genuine, does Penn St have a draft streak? I couldn't find anything when I tried searching about it. When it comes to Nebraska (since I get updates, feeds, etc on them) I have learned that Nebraska had a streak of players getting drafted that extended every single year all the way back to 1962 up until 2018... that is 56 straight years. Call me biased, but I think THAT is consistency. And you can find that easily just by searching 'nebraska draft streak' in google.

6. I'm sorry, do you think that Penn St has been a "consistent top ten" team the past 20 years? Not sure I would consider 6 seasons out of 20 as "consistent" especially since all 6 are not tied together through say 10 years, but spliced throughout the 20 years. No doubt this has been Nebraskas worst couple of decades since the 40's and 50's, I have said that numerous times, none of that makes Penn St better.

Finished top 10 since the 60's...

60's
Penn St - 4 seasons
Nebraska - 4 seasons

70's
Penn St - 7 seasons
Nebraska - 9 seasons

80's
Penn St - 5 seasons
Nebraska - 7 seasons

90's

Penn St - 4 seasons
Nebraska - 6 seasons

00's
Penn St - 3 seasons
Nebraska - 2 seasons

10's
Penn St - 3 seasons
Nebrsaka - 0 seasons

Average
Penn St - 4.3 seasons
Nebraska - 4.6 seasons

Again, sure, Nebraska has declined recently... as with any team, that will obviously be reflective in the rankings, wins, etc... so if the WHOLE point of your post was to only talk about recent consistency, you may have a point... but the problem is 2 fold at that point. One, recent consistency does not negate what a team has done all time in terms of historical consistency. And two, I don't think you meant 'recent consistency' being as how you went as far back as the 60's - 60 years ago.

7. Yeah, Penn St doesn't have all the accolades because they haven't WON them. It's that simple. I went back and looked at 94, 73, 69, 68, and 47 assuming those are the 5 you are referring to. Dude, your schedule sucks in comparison to the teams that were awarded the titles. It really is that simple and BELIEVE me, I was looking for any reason to say that you guys should have been awarded the 1969 title. If I can shaft Texas, believe me, I'll do it whenever I can, but their schedule is simply better. Undefeated or not, you didn't deserve it in comparison.

8. My own little fun fact. Since the 1960's Penn St has finished unranked 21 times. Nebraska has finished unranked 17 times and keep in mind that 12 of those 17 times were from 2002 to now. So from 1960-2001 Nebraska finished unranked 5 times. Penn St finished unranked 12 times from 60-01.

Nebraska is historically more consistent.
---------

Ok, now let me preface a few things as well. I am on the record saying that while I can understand the argument being for only 8 blue blood members, I think rounding off to the top 10 is just cleaner and nicer. With that said, here is my list...

1. Bama
2. Ohio St
3. Oklahoma
4. Notre Dame
5. USC
6. Nebraska
7. Michigan
8. Texas
9. Penn St
10. Florida St

So technically, I have considered Penn St a blue blood, but again, I understand why others don't and I absolutely do not believe they should be above Nebraska let alone any of the other schools I mentioned on my list with the lone exception of FSU.

so....

1. Given my response, I don't think you proved that lol. Again, if you were strictly talking about the past 20 years, I would absolutely agree with you, but this is a conversation about blue bloods and you are talking consistency... so I think historical consistency matters and I would think you agree with that being as how you went as far back as the 60's as well.

2. Believe me, I know. I worry about it all the time (when thinking about football lol, obviously not in reality). I give Nebrasks 20 more years TOPS and if it has continued as it has lately, I could absolutely see an argument against Nebraskas blue blood status. But as it currently sits, I don't think it is enough to say otherwise, especially when Nebraska is still leading most in many categories. It is also important to note that while these last 2 decades have been Nebraskas worst since the 40's and 50's, Nebraska still hasn't been bottom of the pack. They have still had a decent record by many school standards, just not by Nebraskas and not by how people remember Nebraska.

2000-2019
Nebraska went 159-98
Penn St went 164-88

I am sure even you can acknowledge that if these are Nebraskas worst decades in the past 60-70 years then that is still impressive.

3. After reading your point associated with this spot, I don't think we disagree on Penn Sts status in the conversation of blue bloods. But we absolutely are going to disagree in terms of consistency because again... we are talking historical consistencym not just from the 2000's.