• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Notre Dame get screwed in the bowl selection?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
memphis having a weak schedule, yet not being ranked in the top 16, despite only having one loss, is the point. you keep inferring that only the teams with best records will be chosen, in a 16 team playoff, which is false. and teams are already playing weaker schedules in order to help them qualify for the playoff. it's just mostly occurring among p5 schools.

When did I infer that "only the teams with best records will be chosen"? I was saying that G5 schools would still need to likely go undefeated to get in the top 16, so they wouldn't want to risk an unnecessary loss. They all likely would have been in the top 16 if they hadn't lost a game this year. Most P5 schools would probably not want to risk losing a game either, as they are likely a lock for a playoff spot with even two losses, and still in the hunt with three losses. Making the playoffs trumps everything in these scenarios.

so what if bama beat georgia in close game, with a lot of close calls going bama's way, they didn't have to play ohio state, nor does it prove they were the best team.

Does it matter? You do know Bama won a playoff game before the championship game. They also won the national title game. You still think Ohio State should still have gotten in the playoffs over Alabama? C'mon now. Ohio State lost two games that year too IIRC (I think one game was by 30 points) and Bama only had one loss. At least make an argument against another playoff team and Ohio State. It's pretty easy to see the committee made the correct choice, as Alabama won two playoff games and the national title that year. Alabama ended the year #1, and they beat two of the teams in the top 4 in consecutive weeks. They belonged in the playoff.

Last edited:

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read the entire thread but actually I thought this was going to be a pretty good bowl game, I was kind of looking forward to it.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did I infer that "only the teams with best records will be chosen"? I was saying that G5 schools would still need to likely go undefeated to get in the top 16, so they wouldn't want to risk an unnecessary loss. They all likely would have been in the top 16 if they hadn't lost a game this year. Most P5 schools would probably not want to risk losing a game either, as they are likely a lock for a playoff spot with even two losses, and still in the hunt with three losses. Making the playoffs trumps everything in these scenarios.

Does it matter? You do know Bama won a playoff game before the championship game. They also won the national title game. You still think Ohio State should still have gotten in the playoffs over Alabama? C'mon now. Ohio State lost two games that year too IIRC (I think one game was by 30 points) and Bama only had one loss. At least make an argument against another playoff team and Ohio State. It's pretty easy to see the committee made the correct choice, as Alabama won two playoff games and the national title that year. Alabama ended the year #1, and they beat two of the teams in the top 4 in consecutive weeks. They belonged in the playoff.

rankings are in the hands of the committee, whether teams lose 10 games or 0. the only thing that changes in a 16 team playoff is more teams stay relevant during the regular season, the good ole boy system is diminished, there's less controversy, smaller schools are less penalized over things they don't control, and some of the 30+ useless bowls games are eliminated.

i don't know whether osu beats alabama in 2017 or not. determining who's the better team is why the games are played, as opposed to having experts on message boards decide.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know whether osu beats alabama in 2017 or not. determining who's the better team is why the games are played, as opposed to having experts on message boards decide.

Or you can look at one team that lost two games by a combined 47 points in a P5 conference and compare it to another P5 team that lost one game to their rival, on the road, by one possession.

I think the choice was easy, but that's just me...I'm biased against Ohio State. :D

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. I have a few things to finish up before I leave work today. Have a GREAT night!

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where to mention this as I haven't seen any of @UCFhonors overly homeristic threads lately.

Frat at Florida college accused of forcing drugs on pledge (AP- 12/11/19)

The Sigma Chi frat is accused of forcing a student to take drugs in October & stay at the frat house for a week. According to an incident report.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you can look at one team that lost two games by a combined 47 points in a P5 conference and compare it to another P5 team that lost one game to their rival, on the road, by one possession.

I think the choice was easy, but that's just me...I'm biased against Ohio State. :D

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. I have a few things to finish up before I leave work today. Have a GREAT night!

or you can look at who played the tougher schedule, finished stronger, and won their conference championship.

if osu and bama were ranked 16 and 17, there would be less controversy in a 16 team format, as opposed to 4 and 5. odds are the 5th ranked team has much better chance at winning the championship than the 17 ranked team.

peace

Last edited:

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a bowl? Sure. Why wouldnt they?

Just when is the Round of 16 to play? It takes 4 weeks to play this tourney. 15 games out of the current 40(?). Somewhere or another bowl game matchups need to be eliminated unless you add more bowl games.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when is the Round of 16 to play? It takes 4 weeks to play this tourney. 15 games out of the current 40(?). Somewhere or another bowl game matchups need to be eliminated unless you add more bowl games.

eliminate the conference championships for starters, and begin the playoff. then you are down to 8 teams.

division ll has a 28 team playoff.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Notre Dame! Trade you bowl games if you want. You get the Citrus, we get whatever it is you're playing.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats pretty easy. Just need 8 games and rotate the quarters, semis and finals among the same 8 sites or ( better ) give homefield to the top 8 seeds for the first round. Then yoy dont need to change much of anything from now and it makes the regular season even more important

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eliminate the conference championships for starters, and begin the playoff. then you are down to 8 teams.

division ll has a 28 team playoff.

The CFP has 130 teams. The Conference Championship Games are already defacto playoff game. Georgia lost, they are out. Utah lost. They are out. Wisconsin lost. They are out Baylor lost. They are out. Clemson had a walkover.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CFP is just an invitational. A 4 team exhibition. It really doen't matter who is playing as long as the TV contract gets paid by the advertisers. I'd rather watch Notre Dame-Iowa State than another Clemson-Alabama game(Thank gawd we won't have that this year)

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CFP has 130 teams. The Conference Championship Games are already defacto playoff game. Georgia lost, they are out. Utah lost. They are out. Wisconsin lost. They are out Baylor lost. They are out. Clemson had a walkover.

except many, if not most, of the teams in the conference championship games would not make the final four, win or lose.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="jjc2009, post: 14193292, member: 6446"]Historically they’ve turned down bowl games in the past (if they weren’t big enough). Yes they lose out on the prescribe time but it’s not unprecedented at ND. Of course that was under the old bowl structure (even before the BCS era).

Of course for decades the university didn’t even allow them to go to bowl games.[/QUOTE]

But all that was when they were still pretending to be a "prestigious" university. These days they are chasing the dollar just like everybody else.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Notre Dame! Trade you bowl games if you want. You get the Citrus, we get whatever it is you're playing.
Don't tease me so!

giphy.gif

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But all that was when they were still pretending to be a "prestigious" university. These days they are chasing the dollar just like everybody else.

if they are chasing the dollar they should lower academic standards so they can recruit like osu, bama, clemson, etc.