• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did gopher nation rise?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois is better

No title, just as I thought. BUT... I'll give you this one. They have been better overall. We owned the 1st decade, seems they took over and have dominated since then, since we lost our former coach.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capital One? lol First of all, in the future when anyone references any all sports rankings, Cap One won't get mentioned. The Sears Cup will.

If they made up an all-time Top 25 Sears Cup Ranking, Minnesota would make the Top 25.

Name me a half a dozen cfb teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you? Without going back further than 1900?
Name me the 10 cbb teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you?
Name me a half a dozen CWr teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you? I doubt it.
Name me ANY northern college baseball team with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.
Name me ANY college hockey team with more NHLer Alums, or more Olympian Alums. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.
Name me a half a dozen CHk teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't.
Name me ANY college with more Dance National Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.
Name me ANY college with more Women's Hockey National Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.

And UMn has been probably the best northern Golf team in the 21st Century and has been one of the Top Ten VB programs of the 21st Century. These are also sports with pro leagues.

All fine and good until that last statement. I think Illinois would give you a run for that.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All fine and good until that last statement. I think Illinois would give you a run for that.

Post #41, just 2 above yours, I acknowledged as much. Nice to see a B1G team doing well nationally in a warm weather sport. I preferred it when it was the Gophers the decade prior, but the Illini still have not matched the Gophs with a Team Title yet, albeit close. I fully expect the Gophers to rise up again in Men's Golf, hopefully sooner rather than later.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for wrestling, Penn State 7 championships in the last 8 years. Iowa 12 championships since 1991

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for wrestling, Penn State 7 championships in the last 8 years. Iowa 12 championships since 1991

Yeah, so? I never claimed UMn was #1 in Wrestling. And you forgot Oklahoma St with something like 4 titles just in the 21st Century. And now even Ohio St kicks tail. Iowa St and the OU Sooners were also big in Wrestling back in the day.

All time I'd probably rank Minnesota #7-#10? Their 3 Natty's has them behind at least 5-6 teams. They have more 2nd place finishes in the last 20-22 years or so than anyone else, but were not consistently Top 10 before the 1990s.

And Iowa has how many Football Nattys? Any Baseball? Any Basketball? Any Hockey? Any women's bb or any other sport for that matter?

At least PSU has some football titles and a boatload of titles in a bunch of minor sports.

But if you are talking the Major League sports, only Michigan comes close to matching Minnesota, and they best UMn in too many other ways as well. Totally sucks to admit as much, but hey, can't deny reality.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so? I never claimed UMn was #1 in Wrestling. And you forgot Oklahoma St with something like 4 titles just in the 21st Century. And now even Ohio St kicks tail. Iowa St and the OU Sooners were also big in Wrestling back in the day.

All time I'd probably rank Minnesota #7-#10? Their 3 Natty's has them behind at least 5-6 teams. They have more 2nd place finishes in the last 20-22 years or so than anyone else, but were not consistently Top 10 before the 1990s.

And Iowa has how many Football Nattys? Any Baseball? Any Basketball? Any Hockey? Any women's bb or any other sport for that matter?

At least PSU has some football titles and a boatload of titles in a bunch of minor sports.

But if you are talking the Major League sports, only Michigan comes close to matching Minnesota, and they best UMn in too many other ways as well. Totally sucks to admit as much, but hey, can't deny reality.

Nuttin. Iowa's wrestling program is probably only challenged by Oklahoma State as the greatest of all time. I hate Iowa but gotta give due.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuttin. Iowa's wrestling program is probably only challenged by Oklahoma State as the greatest of all time. I hate Iowa but gotta give due.

Yeah. I actually preferred it when Minnesota was annually trying to best Iowa and we both were battling Oklahoma St. Now PSU seems unstoppable and OSU figured out how to wrestle, lol. And even the likes of Mizzou and Michigan and hell, even Cornell seem more competitive than in the past. Guess it's better for Wrestling, but if someone doesn't figure out how to keep up with PSU, all the competitive aspects will just be the rest of us battling year in and year out to see who can come in 2nd.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Gopher fans, our lady Pucksters have made it to their 10th Natl Title game in the last 20 years!

And the lady dribblers jumped out to a 24-6 lead in their opening round NIT game, lets hope they don't let up. I have no doubt they can win the NIT Title this year.

The Grapplers have 6 guys alive in tonight's wrestlebacks still, and one monster in the Semis. They rank 7th right now.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Gopher fans, our lady Pucksters have made it to their 10th Natl Title game in the last 20 years!

And the lady dribblers jumped out to a 24-6 lead in their opening round NIT game, lets hope they don't let up. I have no doubt they can win the NIT Title this year.

The Grapplers have 6 guys alive in tonight's wrestlebacks still, and one monster in the Semis. They rank 7th right now.

The Wisconsin Lady Pucksters are playing right now. Hope to see you in the finals

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Badger girls came out on top. A Natty for Wisconsin. Next year for the Gophers.

I can handle that, for sure!! Your gals were the better team, not by much during the regular season, but I had a feeling all year that I'd be happy with 2nd place. And if our Goalie hadn't played so well, the margin of victory in the Title game could have been bigger.

Congrats.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can handle that, for sure!! Your gals were the better team, not by much during the regular season, but I had a feeling all year that I'd be happy with 2nd place. And if our Goalie hadn't played so well, the margin of victory in the Title game could have been bigger.

Congrats.

Speaking of goalies playing well, the Badgers pitched 3 straight shutouts...quarters, semis and Finals. Domination.

BYW, congrats on a great season

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of goalies playing well, the Badgers pitched 3 straight shutouts...quarters, semis and Finals. Domination.

BYW, congrats on a great season

And she's only a junior? That sucks. Good thing your gals are losing more scoring than my Gophers. Clarkson is losing more than both of us, so that's a good thing.