• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did gopher nation rise?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's and 80's the Gophs always sucked aside from hockey, I am still a fan but Gopher football is really hard to watch now, they have just always sucked at least the other 3 major sports have done a little something along the way.
Their stadium is way cool though

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont give a flying fuck, I was bored

giphy.gif

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been moved away for almost 20 years so I haven't seen it.
Really cool college venue. The size is a good fit for the program as opposed to the previous home.

Of course anything is an upgrade to the Metrodome

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really cool college venue. The size is a good fit for the program as opposed to the previous home.

Of course anything is an upgrade to the Metrodome

The fucking Metrodome, holy shit that place sucked especially for baseball. I probably went to more baseball games at the old met than I did at the Metrodome.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's and 80's the Gophs always sucked aside from hockey, I am still a fan but Gopher football is really hard to watch now, they have just always sucked at least the other 3 major sports have done a little something along the way.

70s and 80s?

Gopher Baseball went to CWS in 1973.
Gopher Basketball won Big Ten Titles in 1972 and 1982, and the 1977 team was arguably the best Gopher squad EVER.
Gopher Football beat #1 ranked Michigan in 1977. But yeah, overall it was not a great time for Gopher fb.

But "they have just always sucked"? They won their 6th Natl Title on football in 1960, going to the Rose Bowl in 1962 and won a Big Title in 1967. Struggled mightily for 3 decades YET STILL RANKED Top 10-20 All-Time when Mason came along and inspired the UMn Admin to throw some money at football, finally.

As for their being hard to watch now? You must not have watched the last 4-5 games of 2018? Crushed the Badgers and Georgia Tech and Purdue, and played B1G West Champs NW tough.

2019 could be their best year since the early 1960s.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I Know that you’re a dumbass and forgot to mention that while over rating UM

How am I overrating Minnesota?

RIGHT NOW,

UMn has

2 National Champs this year, SO FAR
a runner up finisher
A #2 overall seed in a Final Four
The Wrestling team is in 4th place after the 1st day of the NCAA Wrestling Championships
The Women's S & D team is in 8th place after the 1st day of the NCAA Swim & Dive Championships
The Women's Gymnastics team was ranked #9 last I checked.
The Women's VB team was the #2 overall seed going into the NCAA tourney.
The Softball team beat Top 10 ranked Texas 2 out of 3 recently.
The Men's Gymnastics team finished as Natl Runner Ups last season and are around 5th this year?

And that's all just off the top of my head. I could easily add more.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I overrating Minnesota?

RIGHT NOW,

UMn has

2 National Champs this year, SO FAR
a runner up finisher
A #2 overall seed in a Final Four
The Wrestling team is in 4th place after the 1st day of the NCAA Wrestling Championships
The Women's S & D team is in 8th place after the 1st day of the NCAA Swim & Dive Championships
The Women's Gymnastics team was ranked #9 last I checked.
The Women's VB team was the #2 overall seed going into the NCAA tourney.
The Softball team beat Top 10 ranked Texas 2 out of 3 recently.
The Men's Gymnastics team finished as Natl Runner Ups last season and are around 5th this year?

And that's all just off the top of my head. I could easily add more.

Literally nobody gives a shit about any of these.

And for those 2 national championships..

Capital One Cup

I see no Minnesota in either top 10

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally nobody gives a shit about any of these.

Oh really? Is that why thousands of people attend the games and go to the Championships of those sports?

And for those 2 national championships..

Capital One Cup

I see no Minnesota in either top 10

Capital One? lol First of all, in the future when anyone references any all sports rankings, Cap One won't get mentioned. The Sears Cup will.

If they made up an all-time Top 25 Sears Cup Ranking, Minnesota would make the Top 25.

Name me a half a dozen cfb teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you? Without going back further than 1900?
Name me the 10 cbb teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you?
Name me a half a dozen CWr teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you? I doubt it.
Name me ANY northern college baseball team with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.
Name me ANY college hockey team with more NHLer Alums, or more Olympian Alums. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.
Name me a half a dozen CHk teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't.
Name me ANY college with more Dance National Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.
Name me ANY college with more Women's Hockey National Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.

And UMn has been probably the best northern Golf team in the 21st Century and has been one of the Top Ten VB programs of the 21st Century. These are also sports with pro leagues.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name me a half a dozen cfb teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you? Without going back further than 1900?

1960 is a LONG time ago

Name me the 10 cbb teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you?

1919 is even longer

Name me a half a dozen CWr teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Can you? I doubt it.

Nobody gives a shit about college wrestling

Name me ANY northern college baseball team with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.

1964 is still a really long time ago

Name me ANY college hockey team with more NHLer Alums, or more Olympian Alums. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.

The good hockey players come from other counties

Name me a half a dozen CHk teams with more Natl Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't.

Nobody gives a shit. and see above comment

Name me ANY college with more Dance National Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.

Literally nobody gives a fuck

Name me ANY college with more Women's Hockey National Titles than Minnesota. Sorry, you can't, they are #1.

You already used up your allotment of stupid hockey facts

And UMn has been probably the best northern Golf team in the 21st Century

Illinois is better

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Gophers have a basketball team?

We should be more hated than Kentucky, North Carolina, and Duke for single-handedly creating the monster that is Gonzaga. It was their win over our depleted, scandal-ridden team in 1999 that started Gonzaga's run to the Elite 8 that put them on the map. They've plagued the national scene ever since. Without the scandal we beat the Zags and they fade back into obscurity.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1960 is a LONG time ago

1919 is even longer

Nobody gives a shit about college wrestling

1964 is still a really long time ago

The good hockey players come from other counties

Nobody gives a shit. and see above comment

Literally nobody gives a fuck

You already used up your allotment of stupid hockey facts

Illinois is better

Yeah, 1960 is a long time ago. Yet FSU hasn't even gotten half way towards catching up with UMn.

1919 is a very long time ago. Yet FSU still hasn't won even a single men's cbb title.

Nobody gives a sh1t about college wrestling? Well, except the thousands that go to the meets and the millions that continue to follow many of them when they go on to the Olympics or MMA or Pro Wrestling?

Ever heard of Brock Lesnar? Former Gopher. What about Ric Flair? Another former Gopher. Along with legendary wrestlers Verne Gagne, Bronko Nagurski and Leo Nomellini.

Yeah, 1964 is a long time ago, too. But still FSU hasn't won a single Baseball title. And who coached the Arizona team that beat FSU in the Title game in 1986? A former Gopher!!!

The good players come from other "counties"??? What counties would that be? Counties in Wisconsin or Michigan? lol

Oh, I guess you probably meant countries, with an R? lol Russia maybe? Seems a bunch of collegians mostly from Minnesota beat the best the entire USSR could produce in 1980!!!

And are you saying the likes of Blake Wheeler and Phil Kessel are not from the US? They both seem to be doing quite well.

And Hockey is a revenue sport at all of the colleges that host a team, including dozens if not hundreds of schools with non-Div 1 teams. And the NHL pays former Gophers and plenty of other former college hockey players millions of dollars a year. They wouldn't do that if no one cared.

Just about every college has Cheerleaders and Dance teams. It might be one of the most participated in sports in all of college?

There are more than one professional women's hockey leagues. They couldn't exist if no one cared. And plenty of people cared when the US played and beat Canada in the last Olympics.

What is your evidence that Illinois is better? Has Illinois won a Natl Title in Golf? UMn has. UMn had a couple other Top Ten finishes. Not bad for a northern team.

And UMn produced the #1 Golfer in the world in 1996 I think it was? And former Gopher Patty Berg was arguably the best woman golfer EVER? AP Athlete of the Year at least 3 times. A founder and first Pres of the LPGA.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should be more hated than Kentucky, North Carolina, and Duke for single-handedly creating the monster that is Gonzaga. It was their win over our depleted, scandal-ridden team in 1999 that started Gonzaga's run to the Elite 8 that put them on the map. They've plagued the national scene ever since. Without the scandal we beat the Zags and they fade back into obscurity.

We did Gonzaga a favor as well and took Monson from them, lol.