• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did gopher nation rise?

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what a gopher is in past tense? A wentpher.

...I'll see myself out.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what a gopher is in past tense? A wentpher.

...I'll see myself out.
I thought it was a gonepher so good to know

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Gophers have a basketball team?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Rutgers invented football?

lol Good one. But not quite the same.

Gophers won Natty's in 1901 and 1902 and 1919.

A former Gopher was credited for inventing the Jump Shot(he was not the only one, but still)

Fully 4 Gophers are in the Naismith HOF.

The first NBA Dynasty was led by a former Gopher, and included several former Gopher players.

The NBA's Western Conference Title Trophy is named after a former Gopher.

Minnesota led the nation in cbb attendance as late as the 1970s.

Minnesota ranked Top 10 at producing NBA players into the 21st Century, probably still Top 20.

Minnesota has 5 former players who went on to score 5 figures in the NBA.

The only reason UMn's resume looks so bad is all because of Clem Haskins, the effects of having to recover from what he did to the program combined with the NCAA taking so much away.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I bet that was cool for my great great grandparents...

lol. Yeah, those are a bit far back.

But my father both listened to and watched the Gophers win several Natty's in football, and one of my earliest memories was watching the Iron 5 guys win the Big Ten title, in 1972, one of those 5 was a walk on, Dave Winfield who would later lead the Gopher baseball team to the CWS, but unfortunately they only got to the Sweet 16. The best team the Gophers probably ever produced in the NCAA tourney era was the 1977 team that was not allowed to compete in the NCAA tourney because of one of the most minor infractions EVER. Several of the players ended up in the NBA with a few scoring 5 figures in the NBA. And I met Randy Breuer when he was a Senior in HS as my hometown team played them in the state tourney title game and watched them win the Big Ten Title again in 1982. Minnesota led the nation in cbb attendance for most of that 11 years I just described. And I enjoyed following the successes of former Gophers in the NBA all throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s. Some of my best memories of my 4 years in the military in the late 80s was following the Gopher Basketball team and believing in them when no one else did, and getting to see their game in the Elite 8 live as I was stationed in Louisiana in 1990. They were on the rise, but Clem the Gem got impatient and chose to take a short cut. My memories of 1997 can't be taken away, I really enjoyed that season.

So as much as it might seem like the Gophers and basketball don't go together, going into the 1999 NCAA men's basketball tournament, a fan like myself, before hearing about the Ganglegate Scandal a few days later, would have been able to make a very good argument that Minnesota was going to be the next big B1G Conf power.

But... instead, the scandal blew up Minnesota and schools like MSU and Wisconsin, rose up and took over the conference ever since then, making it even harder for the Gophers to recover from the scandal.

And allowing only Conf Champs into the NCAA tourney for the first few decades of the tourney, kept several Top 20 ranked Gopher teams out of the NCAA tourney, including a team ranked #6 in the nation.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember so many fans around me called them the goofers. Then in 1999 they went into Happy Valley and beat laVar Arrington and #2 Penn State. I always thought higher of them after that.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember so many fans around me called them the goofers. Then in 1999 they went into Happy Valley and beat laVar Arrington and #2 Penn State. I always thought higher of them after that.

Yeah, that game was one of my favorites, and yes, the Football team struggled mightily for 3 straight decades(68 to 97) until Glen Mason came along. He failed to get us a Big Ten Title, came close, and that was enough to inspire the school to finally put some money towards making football work. So we got a new Stadium, and just recently a new Athletes Village/Practice Facility, and now a coach with lots of potential. 2019 could be our best season since the early 60s when we went to the Rose Bowl.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota Mouses

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota Mouses

Well, Minnesota is the only school in the nation with multiple Natl Titles in each of the 4 Major League sports.

Also, the only school with multiple Hall of Famers in all 4 Major League sports.

Also, only school to have alums coaching in all 4 Major League sports at the same time.

So you can call them the Minnesota Mouses, but to me they are the MIGHTY GOLDEN GOPHERS

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Minnesota is the only school in the nation with multiple Natl Titles in each of the 4 Major League sports.

Also, the only school with multiple Hall of Famers in all 4 Major League sports.

Also, only school to have alums coaching in all 4 Major League sports at the same time.

So you can call them the Minnesota Mouses, but to me they are the MIGHTY GOLDEN GOPHERS

MOst universities don't play hockey, dumbass.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont give a flying fuck, I was bored

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Yeah, those are a bit far back.

But my father both listened to and watched the Gophers win several Natty's in football, and one of my earliest memories was watching the Iron 5 guys win the Big Ten title, in 1972, one of those 5 was a walk on, Dave Winfield who would later lead the Gopher baseball team to the CWS, but unfortunately they only got to the Sweet 16. The best team the Gophers probably ever produced in the NCAA tourney era was the 1977 team that was not allowed to compete in the NCAA tourney because of one of the most minor infractions EVER. Several of the players ended up in the NBA with a few scoring 5 figures in the NBA. And I met Randy Breuer when he was a Senior in HS as my hometown team played them in the state tourney title game and watched them win the Big Ten Title again in 1982. Minnesota led the nation in cbb attendance for most of that 11 years I just described. And I enjoyed following the successes of former Gophers in the NBA all throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s. Some of my best memories of my 4 years in the military in the late 80s was following the Gopher Basketball team and believing in them when no one else did, and getting to see their game in the Elite 8 live as I was stationed in Louisiana in 1990. They were on the rise, but Clem the Gem got impatient and chose to take a short cut. My memories of 1997 can't be taken away, I really enjoyed that season.

So as much as it might seem like the Gophers and basketball don't go together, going into the 1999 NCAA men's basketball tournament, a fan like myself, before hearing about the Ganglegate Scandal a few days later, would have been able to make a very good argument that Minnesota was going to be the next big B1G Conf power.

But... instead, the scandal blew up Minnesota and schools like MSU and Wisconsin, rose up and took over the conference ever since then, making it even harder for the Gophers to recover from the scandal.

And allowing only Conf Champs into the NCAA tourney for the first few decades of the tourney, kept several Top 20 ranked Gopher teams out of the NCAA tourney, including a team ranked #6 in the nation.

I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's and 80's the Gophs always sucked aside from hockey, I am still a fan but Gopher football is really hard to watch now, they have just always sucked at least the other 3 major sports have done a little something along the way.