• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dick move by USC...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sc didn't leak his contract or buy out to the media. Private school they don't have to. That was on his agent.....He was given a choice stay at SC and get to work or take the buy out and interview. I get "SC is holding KK back" is the more interesting story. But Swann made the proper business move and this is on KK now

Since this has never happened before I am not sure that is was a wise business decision. Based on everything Swann has ever done as an AD, it is quite dubious to say he made a proper decision.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, you have 0 idea about the situation. Kliff has never talked to anyone. NFL teams can’t talk to him or his agent or they risk losing draft picks

The article in th OP like many has been spun to garner attention. The situation is really quite simple. basic business move that happens probably a million times a day.Short summary The Jets and Cardinals wanted to interview KK. KK has not technically even spoken about any of this. Swann executed his rights by the NFL rule to nix the interview. KK has a very low buy out. He isn't being held hostage as some may lead you to believe. He can very easily take the buy out and leave any time he wants.By nixing the interviews Swann is protecting SC's best interest. If KK wants to leave SC has time to find a replacement. If he wants to stay he wants to stay. The choice is KK's to make by going this route.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this has never happened before I am not sure that is was a wise business decision. Based on everything Swann has ever done as an AD, it is quite dubious to say he made a proper decision.
Not dubious at all. If we were talking Texas would you prefer the process be drug out. And the longhorns were forced to make a last minute hire?SC is using the same formula;NFL teams use to protect themselves. While working within their rules. KK signed a contract everything is being handled by the rules. This is KK choice now decide to work for SC or take the buy out and pursue an NFL job. Pretty simple really

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not dubious at all. If we were talking Texas would you prefer the process be drug out. And the longhorns were forced to make a last minute hire?SC is using the same formula;NFL teams use to protect themselves. While working within their rules. KK signed a contract everything is being handled by the rules. This is KK choice now decide to work for SC or take the buy out and pursue an NFL job. Pretty simple really

He'll stay.
I bet they all have agreed to it already.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll stay.
I bet they all have agreed to it already.
He may leave but I wouldn't be surprised if he stays. If he chooses to stay I think he eventually takes over for CH. Tbh this really isn't a story it's common business. If Swann didn't use his right to nix the interviews. And put the ball in KK's court I would be worried. Either get to work or move forward no time for a coach under contract on the fence.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didn't make him aware of the situation before they denied the Cardinals and Jets access to him and he didn't agree to it then i'd leave right now regardless of how high or low the chances of me getting that job was. Fuck them.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It really isn’t a big deal, because Kliff can not coach for a couple months. I am not sure what the risk is of letting him interview. The only downside is in recruiting, but most of the class is signed and 2020 has quite a way to go. If it were Texas, I would rather they let the interview happen. I don’t want coaches thinking that the university would step in front of a great opportunity if they came to Texas. Not to mention allowing him to interview is a great move to make him feel like the university is on his side and actually instill some sense of loyalty from an employee that is on the job for 2 weeks

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really isn’t a big deal, because Kliff can not coach for a couple months. I am not sure what the risk is of letting him interview. The only downside is in recruiting, but most of the class is signed and 2020 has quite a way to go. If it were Texas, I would rather they let the interview happen. I don’t want coaches thinking that the university would step in front of a great opportunity if they came to Texas. Not to mention allowing him to interview is a great move to make him feel like the university is on his side and actually instill some sense of loyalty from an employee that is on the job for 2 weeks
He can not coach but is already making decisions i.e. an open QB competition etc...He is also being given the keys to the SC offense. Why invest time in someone who may nt want to be there. Since no one has a quote from KK i will say "may". Rather than move forward with a coach thats ready to put the work in? I'm not for plugging in a coach last minute. I want a coach who is focussed on SC. If their is truth to this KK has a buy out. The claims SC is holding him back would be false regardless.....No one is "missing an opportunity its his choice bottom line

If this is the metric being used in this scenario. You could say KK is holding another coach back from an opportunity.....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can not coach but is already making decisions i.e. an open QB competition etc...He is also being given the keys to the SC offense. Why invest time in someone who may nt want to be there. Since no one has a quote from KK i will say "may". Rather than move forward with a coach thats ready to put the work in? I'm not for plugging in a coach last minute. I want a coach who is focussed on SC. If their is truth to this KK has a buy out. The claims SC is holding him back would be false regardless.....No one is "missing an opportunity its his choice bottom line

He can’t make decisions on an “open QB competition” until they can compete, which is months away. Right now all he can do is watch film and recruit, until spring starts. He is not allowed to coach right now. Plus it’s USC, what’s the worst thing that could happen? They have to find a replacement in 2 weeks?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number one. he hasn't been offered any job . He was seriously considered for assistant OC a QB coach for NFL teams and he declined to take any of them and now with all the coaches getting fired teams would like to interview him but thats a long way from actually being hired. They will all interview anyone they can, he's just another name on their lists. He is not the top choice for any of these teams. So you're going to leave a situation where you just just signed to interview for a job you most likely would not get? Your boss that you just gave your word to is supposed to let you go when you haven't even been there one season? It doesn't matter how much more you'd be making . You honor at least a season and you pay the buyout and go the season after if you like.

On the other hand, even if he's not seriously considering the job the interview itself is probably good for his career. That's the whole premise of the NFL's "Rooney Rule" right? Even if a minority doesn't get the job, they have to interview at least 1 for every open position. It helps get the candidates name out there, gives him experience in interviewing, and gives him an insight into maybe what teams/owners/GM's are looking for.

If USC wanted him to stay they should have given him a bigger buyout. The fact that they gave him a low buyout, but then are taking advantage of a new policy (that I don't know how it passes any legal challenge, since it basicly includes the non-profit NCAA into the NFL's monopoly and makes them a partner. It should immediately at the very least prompt a challenge to the NFL's 3 year out of high school rule. But that's a whole different thread.) Anyways, its fact that USC is using a new legal loophole outside of his contract to essentially diminish or at least attempt to diminish his future earnings that makes this a dick move.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can’t make decisions on an “open QB competition” until they can compete, which is months away. Right now all he can do is watch film and recruit, until spring starts. He is not allowed to coach right now. Plus it’s USC, what’s the worst thing that could happen? They have to find a replacement in 2 weeks?
KK has already stated himself there will be an open competition at QB in his system. This is fact. And we cant pretend he has no impact on recruiting....

He did sign a contract business deals go both ways.If there is actually any truth to this story. Swann made a proper business decision. KK has the opportunity to stick with SC or take the buy out and walk. If he is using SC as a safety valve he is taking the opportunity away from another coach.Why should SC risk a last minute hire and lose options? How is that fair to the kids who are committed or the team?There is no debate here this is KK's choice.

If true people can do the faux outrage thing. Swann made the best choice for the team and university. Not just one person who has a choice

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the KK hire was a brilliant move.
Never really knew why he did it so fast.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KK has already stated himself there will be an open competition at QB in his system. This is fact. And we cant pretend he has no impact on recruiting....

He did sign a contract business deals go both ways.If there is actually any truth to this story. Swann made a proper business decision. KK has the opportunity to stick with SC or take the buy out and walk. If he is using SC as a safety valve he is taking the opportunity away from another coach.Why should SC risk a last minute hire and lose options? How is that fair to the kids who are committed or the team?There is no debate here this is KK's choice.

If true people can do the faux outrage thing. Swann made the best choice for the team and university. Not just one person who has a choice

1. I believe there is an open QB competition, but it is also fact that it will be in spring when football activities are allowed
2. Clearly Swann didn’t do the proper business decision. Proper business decisions don’t bring bad press and alienate key employees. Like you said someone leaked information to the press, you suggested it was his agent.
3. Football team require coaching staffs to work together to accomplish their goals, odds of that happening got dramatically worse
4. Why do you risk it? It is a cost benefit analysis. Having a pissed off coach on your staff is more detrimental to the season than having him leave (remember those odds are certainly less than a coin flip). Ask Mack Brown how the Manny Diaz/ Akina fight probably ended his career at Texas or ask Charlie Strong about holding back an assistant from kicking Watson’s ass during practice
5. Swann made a decision that protected HIS image, which has been questioned repeated since he was hired. He was certainly within his rights, but I don’t think he even considered the possible ramifications
6. The issue isn’t what the press and the Hoop says, but what coaches think of the decision and that has the potential to hurt the university for years to come

Last edited:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is KK even pissed off, or 100% on board at USC???
What if he is??

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s ok. You’re a hypocrite. You can just own it instead of trying some lame ass “it was a joke you just didn’t get” bullshit.

The sentence literally has lol after it. Not sure how much more clear it could be that it was a joke.

Apparently I needed to post "The following sentence is a joke" so you could prepare.

I get it though. You're embarrassed (and you should be) that you were too stupid to understand the joke and now you want to save face by pretending it wasn't.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I believe there is an open QB competition, but it is also fact that it will be in spring when football activities are allowed
2. Clearly Swann didn’t do the proper business decision. Proper business decisions don’t bring bad press and alienate key employees. Like you said someone leaked information to the press, you suggested it was his agent.
3. Football team require coaching staffs to work together to accomplish their goals, odds of that happening got dramatically worse
4. Why do you risk it? It is a cost benefit analysis. Having a pissed off coach on your staff is more detrimental to the season than having him leave (remember those odds are certainly less than a coin flip). Ask Mack Brown how the Manny Diaz/ Akina fight probably ended his career at Texas or ask Charlie Strong about holding back an assistant from kicking Watson’s ass during practice
5. Swann made a decision that protected HIS image, which has been questioned repeated since he was hired. He was certainly within his rights, but I don’t think he even considered the possible ramifications
6. The issue isn’t what the press and the Hoop says, but what coaches think of the decision and that has the potential to hurt the university for years to come
Here is the only thing KK has been saying....Take what you are reading about this "story" at face value. He's already been active in recruiting trips. If true Swann made the right move and is not holding KK back point blank.This is in KK's hands his choice regardless he's no victim here

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is KK even pissed off, or 100% on board at USC???
What if he is??
He's never said he was to date. Thats the funny part imo. All this outrage and it hasn't even come from KK. Who has not made a statement. And could walk any time he chooses to with a buy out. If he didnt want the job don't sign the contract. Or say you did imo seems pretty set in the video I posted as well as the others where he actually speaks. The rule being cited is in place to protect teams from having coaches poached last minute and honor contracts both college and NFL

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If USC wanted him to stay they should have given him a bigger buyout. The fact that they gave him a low buyout,

It's not quite that simple. Both sides have to agree to the size of the buyout.