• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dick move by USC...

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious dick move...

Report: USC is denying NFL teams permission to interview Kliff Kingsbury

Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury walks off the field during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Texas, Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, in Lubbock, Texas. (AP Photo/Brad Tollefson)

USC is not too keen on the idea of new offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury heading to the NFL.

At last month’s NFL owners meetings in Dallas, league officials informed team executives that they now had to request permission from college athletic directors to interview college coaches. Not doing so would be considered “conduct detrimental” and the NFL then could dock draft picks from teams, sources said.

“If permission is denied, the NFL club should respect that decision just as it would respect a similar decision from another NFL club,” the rule states in part. “NFL clubs that fail to follow these protocols may be subject to disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the League.”

Report: Kingsbury may resign at USC
With Swann denying him opportunities, Kingsbury may opt to leave USC altogether.

Per multiple sources, Kingsbury’s contract has a very low buyout. But the buyout never came up because the NFL teams, honoring the strong mandate issued at last month’s ownership meeting, contacted Swann and requested permission to interview Kingsbury. Swann said no, and that was the end of it. But that may not be the end of it. Kingsbury, the former Texas Tech head coach, may simply pay the buyout, walk away, and see what happens with any NFL head-coaching or offensive coordinator opportunities.

Kingsbury was hired at USC 10 days after he was fired

This wrinkle leads to a big question: Why did he sign on with USC so soon if the Trojans were going to deny him from interviewing with NFL teams for head coaching jobs?

But, as we know, there’s a difference between being an offensive coordinator for a team that’s looking for a change on one side of the ball and the head coach in charge of an entire team.

Kingsbury went 35-40 in his time at Texas Tech, his alma mater, and the Red Raiders were 5-7 in 2018.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that a dick move? Seems to me signing a contract and then shopping around for a different job a month later would be the slimy move here...

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that a dick move? Seems to me signing a contract and then shopping around for a different job a month later would be the slimy move here...

Sure but it's a head coaching job, not an NFL OC job.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a dick move at all. If he resigns I hope all those Hollywood lawyers file a lawsuit against him.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but it's a head coaching job, not an NFL OC job.
Don't see how that concerns USC. He can buy out of his contract, USC isn't under any obligation to let him shop around with them waiting as his safety net.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see how that concerns USC. He can buy out of his contract, USC isn't under any obligation to let him shop around with them waiting as his safety net.

They are not but it is a bad look for them and may make.it.difficult for them to hire quality assistant coaches in the future.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AR-181128904-850x491.jpg

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God forbid you protect an asset you JUST HIRED. it would be different if he had been there for at least 1 season or something but this guy hasnt even coached yet!

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like Manny Diaz and Da U.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think USC has every right to protect their investment in a guy from making a lateral move. But I agree that it's a dick move to hinder his career growth. Just like with the NFL if you're a coordinator you have to get permission from your team to interview for other coordinator spots. And no team is likely to give that permission. But if you're a coordinator and they want to interview you for a head coaching spot, that is a clear step up, and the team can't deny permission.

I don't know how I would feel about him going from OC at a major blue blood college to an OC at an NFL level. It is a step up, but I don't know if it's necessarily a clear step above. But if somebody wants to hire him or even interview him as a NFL Head Coach like the article seems to claim i think that's pretty dickish.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not but it is a bad look for them and may make.it.difficult for them to hire quality assistant coaches in the future.
I highly doubt USC is going to struggle to find quality assistant coaches in the future. They’ve got to do way more damage to themselves before it’s not a top coaching destination, and I’m sure they’ll be fine with missing out on any coach who passes because they know they’ll be expected to honor their contract.

I mean, Jesus Christ... it’s common practice for coaches to deny rumors until they’re blue in the face, right up until stepping off the plane at their new destination. They don’t need to be given a free pass to shit on their current commitments more than they already do. Like @NU_FTW said, god forbid a party on the other side of the contract steps up to defend their end of the deal sometimes.

BeatPitt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a dirtbag for doing something like this...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God forbid you protect an asset you JUST HIRED. it would be different if he had been there for at least 1 season or something but this guy hasnt even coached yet!

So he should just head out to the strip clubs with a university credit card is what you're saying.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything its a dumb move on USC’s part.

You force him to stay... ok, now go sell a recruit that he is going to be playing for KK in his offense for 4 years. Hey if a NFL team wants him and is willing to buy him out then cut him loose asap. Good time of year with the coaching conventions ect. to hire an OC who actually WANTS to be there.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches are now just going to put language in their contracts that if a school rejects the NFL's request to talk to them, then the contract buyout automatically goes to zero.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a) Article was pure speculation and written to deceive the reader this is what Kingsbury is thinking. There’s no direct quote from Kingsbury giving any opinion one way or the other. So those of you talking shit about him are no better.

b) Some of you would be terrible business people. Being denied information to better your career and you all act like you wouldn’t be pissed and feel entitled to that info? Buncha fucking hypocrites.