• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez threatens hold out

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets a $12M deal and holds out screw him. If I were SJ or JJ and he said this to me I'd immediately stop negotiating. Like I said with the Scandrick issue. Once you give in everyone comes looking for more. Stupid.
No player is more important than the team.

Chris Mortensen– Verified account ‏@mortreport
Whether he really has the resolve, Dez Bryant weighs skipping Cowboys' season opener if no deal signed http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/13066102 …
ESPN

Dez Bryant weighs skipping Dallas Cowboys' season opener if no...
Dez Bryant is contemplating not reporting to the Cowboys for the regular-season opener unless he is signed to a long-term contract by July 15.

View on web

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your assessment, jarntt. Personally, though, I think it's either all a smoke screen to keep the front office guessing or it's a matter of getting some really bad advice from an agent who only is thinking about his own payday.

Suppose Bryant holds out and things work out differently than they did for Emmitt, that the Cowboys win the first two games without him, which is not unreasonable, that will throw any leverage Dez thinks he has right out the window.

But yeah, I have a hard time siding who holds out when he's already guaranteed to make almost 13 mill, which is more than 99% of the NFL players. If you want more, fine. I don't begrudge a man to make whatever he can get, but at that current salary keep your ass on the field and prove you are worth more.

If he sits out an entire year just because he didn't get the deal he wants, his stock goes down and he hurts himself as much as he hurts our chances this year. If that's his plan, I say good riddance.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could work out well for ya if he sits out 1st game. You win the game and he comes back humbled. Plus he comes back for game 2 healthier than he would have if he had played in game 1 just in time when you go on the road to Philly. I find it so funny how pro sports and money has become so outrageous. Before long some player will cross the billion dollar contract threshold and fans (not I) will pay 300+ large for the worse seats in the house. As a Redskin fan I hope he totally disrupts your team but I also hope Jerry stands his ground and helps put a squash on these idiot players who think the can hold hostage a team.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ, just pay the damn man already

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay the man. Whats the hold up?
He deserves it.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me its this easy....If we're not a better team with Dez then let him walk, however if he's a key cog then whats the hold up? With out Dez this team is mediocre at best IMO. Pay this dude

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What problem is Dez trying to solve? Maybe i'm missing something.

The 12 million for this year is the highest for a receiver with the exception of one player.
After this year he goes FA, he sits back and waits for the offers to roll in.

If he wants the absolute top dollar contract he can possibly get, would that path not start with taking the 12 million now and FA next year?

Last edited:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me its this easy....If we're not a better team with Dez then let him walk, however if he's a key cog then whats the hold up? With out Dez this team is mediocre at best IMO. Pay this dude

More often than not, I will agree with a team that lets a player walk simply based on principle.
Especially in cases when then team is not better without that player.

And I side with the Cowboys on this one, even though not having Dez will sting like hell.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We looking at it as fans. If Dez gets hurt on this one year deal then he's screwed. Dez has to act in his best interest. Dez has produced and is a top 5 player at his position. I dont understand the hesitation. If they were unsure on what they wanted to do with Dez the should have traded him and moved up to get another first round pick and got the best wr in the draft.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have a 2 year window with Romo. Im sure If Dez are someone comprable isnt here then the window is closed.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a shortsighted view though. It's not just pay good player, cut bad player. There is a cap!!! Each player has a perceived value and that determines the $ amount. Why doesn't Dez drop his demands a little? It works both ways. I am confident the team and Dez will work something out and I want Dez here long term. But, that is a different discussion then holding out for regular season games. That would be a total dick move any way you slice it. Even talking about it is kind of a dick move. Dez still has a lot to learn and #1 is to tell your agent he works for you, not vice versa

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We looking at it as fans. If Dez gets hurt on this one year deal then he's screwed. Dez has to act in his best interest. Dez has produced and is a top 5 player at his position. I dont understand the hesitation. If they were unsure on what they wanted to do with Dez the should have traded him and moved up to get another first round pick and got the best wr in the draft.

Because Elite WRs salaries are so high you can't just "do a deal". Your franchises future hinges on getting these mega deals right. IMO the salary scale is out of whack and WRs get too much money. In what world does Dez deserve more money than Tyron Smith?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the rules say if you don't have a long term deal done by July 15 you must play that season at the franchise tag amount. I just don't see the leverage. It is nothing like emmitt in 93.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a very high stakes game of "chicken". I don't find fault in either party for their position, both sides are just trying to do what is best for them. Dallas wouldn't be wise to hand out a Calvin Johnson type deal, but they will need to pay a fair market value for Dez. There needs to be some compromise on both sides.

Hopefully Denver caves to Demaryous Thomas soon, so they can set the market, and then Dallas can go from there. All I know is Dez needs to be paid, he has earned it.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I understand it, money is not the only sticking point with Dez. He wants more freedom. He doesn't want to have certain restrictions placed on where he can go and who has to go with him. That is a big red flag to me.

es4, I'm not against paying Dez fair market rate. What I am against is the fact that he is thinking/talking about holding out when he will be making almost 13 mill this season. That's not chump change. Sure, it's not long term and nothing is guaranteed afterwards, but it demonstrates a lack of loyalty on his part to his teammates.

Don't get me wrong, I believe some loyalty should be demonstrated by the franchise and not just the players, but the franchise has demonstrated loyalty by franchising him at the amount they are willing to pay for one year. Jerry has even said that Dez will only be playing for Dallas. Jerry's not afraid of paying top dollar for a top receiver. What he is afraid of is paying top dollar to a top receiver who can't keep his head on straight off the field.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a very high stakes game of "chicken". I don't find fault in either party for their position, both sides are just trying to do what is best for them. Dallas wouldn't be wise to hand out a Calvin Johnson type deal, but they will need to pay a fair market value for Dez. There needs to be some compromise on both sides.

Hopefully Denver caves to Demaryous Thomas soon, so they can set the market, and then Dallas can go from there. All I know is Dez needs to be paid, he has earned it.
I agree 100% with this

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Elite WRs salaries are so high you can't just "do a deal". Your franchises future hinges on getting these mega deals right. IMO the salary scale is out of whack and WRs get too much money. In what world does Dez deserve more money than Tyron Smith?
You always have a very balanced rational point of view, your obviously a smart guy. There are exceptions to every rule. I think it is generally agreed upon that qb, LT, and DE are the key building blocks for success, however I also believe an Elite wr has more or equal earning potential than all positions except for an elite qb or de. Few teams have the situation we have. An near elite qb. An elite wr and a LTthats elite.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never hid the fact tjat im a Dez guy to surely there's some bias here on my part. Personally I can't see us truly competing for a championship with him not being in the equation. On the franchise tag is the cap hit the full amount of the cap tender. If it is? Im not saying give Dez a 5 year deal is it crazy to give him the Max over 3 years?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read Dez made a little under 12M on his rookie contract and stands to make 12.8M this season with the tag...It's guaranteed the moment Dez signs. I don't know but that's being paid to me.

I think it's a game and neither Dez or Denver's Thomas want to be the first to sign. It's all about the players perception of respect and I think each want money just under megatron.