• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez news

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guaranteed money is the only thing that matters in NFL contracts. That will tell the true story...

But much of that guaranteed is on the books 4 and 5 years down the road guarantee him 40M and he gets hurt year one the cap is a major issue. Lets say Hardy works out and asks for 23+m a season. How much would be tied up on Romo, Dez, Smith, and Hardy. What about Fitzgerald he's going to want his. Hope all of you who are ready to break the bank for Dez are OK with 40 to 45 scrubs filling out the roster.

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean this as an insult, but most people just don't grasp or maybe just lose track of the idea of signing/retaining players in a cap world. Dez is fantastic. He means a lot to our team. BUT, every player has a value that you don't pay over. Even if you think we can "afford it", every dollar we give Dez is a dollar we don't have for the next guy. If we don't have Dez we can use those dollars on a different player. I hear comments like "sign Dez", but what does that mean? Just sign him no matter what? If Dez wants Calvin money he needs to go elsewhere. It's not just about rich Jerry, it's about what a $15M contract does to the rest of your team. You can't possibly feel he is worth what Calvin was when he signed that deal. I also find it hard to believe that we can't find better use of like $15M per year and probably a 3rd round pick. I don't know what the offer is from the team or what Dez really wants so I won't comment on whose side I'm on, but I know I'm against Dez if he misses a game or even comes to a game at less than 100% in regards to game shape Or mentally.

Your Hardy comparison is way off base IMO. Dez and Hardy at 100% and without external issues are probably worth the same amount. Hardy has a ridiculously good contract for Dallas. I'm not sure how aware of it you are, but we could basically cut him at almost no cost if we want. If he doesn't play we don't pay him. And it's incentive based!!! Hardy only gets $13M if he basically plays like an All Pro and plays 16 games.

And what does Roy Williams and prior wasted picks or free agent moves have to do with it? Because we screwed up before we must sign Dez? The only position you can't win without in the NFL without a boatload of luck or talent in other areas is QB. Dez is a great player, but how many recent SB winners won because of their top WR? And of all these top WR contracts we refer to when saying what Dez should get or who else is up for a big contract soon, how many of those GREAT WRs are on SB winners? I'm all for signing Dez because I think he is a great player, but I think WRs are way overpaid right now and I'm drawing a line in the sand and if he doesn't like it I'm tagging him twice and moving on.

There are only a few game changing WR's in the NFL. Ones that teams have to game plan for and have to keep from bringing a safety down in the box. We chose not to spend that money on a running back right?? You can take your 15M and your third round pick and go sign a bunch of average players and tell us how much money you saved and how well you did with your cap. Give me top 5 talent with a motor like Dez any day. You can not sign average players at every position and not be an average team.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just how risk is Dez worth. If reports that Dallas is offering nearly 13 per year isn't close how much does Dez want?

My comments were refereeing to risk with his behavior issues.

As far as the contract goes I'm not for backing up the brinks truck for Dez or anyone else.
I applaud the front office for playing hardball.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comments were refereeing to risk with his behavior issues.

As far as the contract goes I'm not for backing up the brinks truck for Dez or anyone else.
I applaud the front office for playing hardball.

Most know I'm a big fan of Dez but I don't want to cripple the cap to sign him.

Last edited:

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But much of that guaranteed is on the books 4 and 5 years down the road guarantee him 40M and he gets hurt year one the cap is a major issue. Lets say Hardy works out and asks for 23+m a season. How much would be tied up on Romo, Dez, Smith, and Hardy. What about Fitzgerald he's going to want his. Hope all of you who are ready to break the bank for Dez are OK with 40 to 45 scrubs filling out the roster.

Any player is one hit away from being hurt so you can't use that argument. I don't care what Hardy asks for he should only be a rental play at most if our draft picks (Gregory and Lawrence) pan out. We have drafted smart and stuck true to building the offensive line which will be a strength for the next 5-7 years. Why do all that and not spend any money on playmakers??

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont envision Hardy on the team past this year. He will be going to the highest bidder next year which wont be the Boyz.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont envision Hardy on the team past this year. He will be going to the highest bidder next year which wont be the Boyz.

Never know, but if he proves to be the pass rush Dallas has missed it will be hard to let him walk, and he might give Jerry a discount. Problem is even with that discount he's still gonna be pricy.

In today's salary cap era you have to look at future contracts when making deals today.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never know, but if he proves to be the pass rush Dallas has missed it will be hard to let him walk, and he might give Jerry a discount. Problem is even with that discount he's still gonna be pricy.

In today's salary cap era you have to look at future contracts when making deals today.

Depends on how Dlaw & Gregory play. It would be a bigger drop off losing Dez than Hardy. Where would this offense rank without the threat of Dez on the field?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how Dlaw & Gregory play. It would be a bigger drop off losing Dez than Hardy. Where would this offense rank without the threat of Dez on the field?

Gregory was a steal in the 2nd but seeing he's light even for a LB I'd like to see him play a little before I hitch my wagon to him. I know Hardy can get the job done and will make it easier for others along the line.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any player is one hit away from being hurt so you can't use that argument. I don't care what Hardy asks for he should only be a rental play at most if our draft picks (Gregory and Lawrence) pan out. We have drafted smart and stuck true to building the offensive line which will be a strength for the next 5-7 years. Why do all that and not spend any money on playmakers??

ONE hit away is a major reason not to overpay.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only a few game changing WR's in the NFL. Ones that teams have to game plan for and have to keep from bringing a safety down in the box. We chose not to spend that money on a running back right?? You can take your 15M and your third round pick and go sign a bunch of average players and tell us how much money you saved and how well you did with your cap. Give me top 5 talent with a motor like Dez any day. You can not sign average players at every position and not be an average team.

Or you can use it next year on Julio or Green and still have a few million and the 3rd round pick to boot...I never said anything about average players. Maybe Hardy goes crazy on the field and puts up 20+ sacks, moves away from his legal issues and we sign him instead. There are always options and no non-QB is irreplaceable or worth letting yourselves get held hostage for. I don't know how many times I can say I want to sign Dez, but not if the dollars get too high and not if he sits a game.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guaranteed money is the only thing that matters in NFL contracts. That will tell the true story...

For most teams, yes, but when Dallas keeps restructuring and pushing money back they push the guaranteed dollars back so far that they make those years we originally thought were voidable, unavoidable. See Romo or Carr's contracts with and without restructures.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you can use it next year on Julio or Green and still have a few million and the 3rd round pick to boot...I never said anything about average players. Maybe Hardy goes crazy on the field and puts up 20+ sacks, moves away from his legal issues and we sign him instead. There are always options and no non-QB is irreplaceable or worth letting yourselves get held hostage for. I don't know how many times I can say I want to sign Dez, but not if the dollars get too high and not if he sits a game.

I'd be happy with Green, a 3rd, and cap room. Not a bad consolation prize.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy with Green, a 3rd, and cap room. Not a bad consolation prize.
Me too. I'm not suggesting it will happen, but just making a point that there are always options out there

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no WR is worth over 150+ mil. Sorry I don't care how good they are. What does more than Megatron even mean? A little more or 180 mil or something even more crazy? Not only does the WR position not warrant that type of contract, but every year several big stars come into the NFL at the WR position. Replacing a WR is much easier than other positions. Not saying they will/would be as good as Dez, but a lesser #1 WR & not spending top QB money on the position is better, than Dez & a ridiculous long over paying contract like he is allegedly asking for.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no WR is worth over 150+ mil. Sorry I don't care how good they are. What does more than Megatron even mean? A little more or 180 mil or something even more crazy? Not only does the WR position not warrant that type of contract, but every year several big stars come into the NFL at the WR position. Replacing a WR is much easier than other positions. Not saying they will/would be as good as Dez, but a lesser #1 WR & not spending top QB money on the position is better, than Dez & a ridiculous long over paying contract like he is allegedly asking for.

Many WR's sure have looked good coming into the NFL lately. They use to a year or three to develope not so recently.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may sound completely absurd, but does Dez have a no trade clause? If he won't budge and it comes down to him sitting out regular season games, the Raiders have a ton of cap space. How about Amari Cooper and the Raiders 2016 1st round (likely top 10) draft pick. I'd rather have Dez, but this rookie year salary structure change has both sides thinking they are right, which could mean no one budges

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may sound completely absurd, but does Dez have a no trade clause? If he won't budge and it comes down to him sitting out regular season games, the Raiders have a ton of cap space. How about Amari Cooper and the Raiders 2016 1st round (likely top 10) draft pick. I'd rather have Dez, but this rookie year salary structure change has both sides thinking they are right, which could mean no one budges

I believe his rights could be traded, but if you were the Raiders would you trade that and have to pay Dez? I know I wouldn't.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn I just noticed I said 23M a season for Hardy. I meant to say 15M. I need to learn to proof read when I'm using my phone.