• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez news

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that Hardy's suspension being reduced has anything to do with Dez's contract situation. If anything, with the large reduction in games, Dallas has less money to throw at the first year of the deal. I think the issues are independent of each other.

Seems what Dallas was really waiting on was Denver to pull the trigger with D.Thomas first. Now reports are coming out about possible collusion between Denver and Dallas front offices in regards to negotiating the contracts for Bryant and Thomas. These two will get nearly identical deals. No matter the circumstances, a deal will have to come in the next 4 days.

I think that is exactly the point of bringing it up and I think you are misunderstanding how a long term deal for Dez impacts our 2015 cap. The franchise tag is worst case scenario for the 2015 cap. Due to the large reduction in games for Hardy's suspension his cap figure goes way up. One way to offset that (if the Cowboys so choose) is to sign Dez long term and thus significantly reducing his 2015 cap hit. His huge signing bonus will be spread out over 5 years and his contract will have a lower year one salary than average salary.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is exactly the point of bringing it up and I think you are misunderstanding how a long term deal for Dez impacts our 2015 cap. The franchise tag is worst case scenario for the 2015 cap. Due to the large reduction in games for Hardy's suspension his cap figure goes way up. One way to offset that (if the Cowboys so choose) is to sign Dez long term and thus significantly reducing his 2015 cap hit. His huge signing bonus will be spread out over 5 years and his contract will have a lower year one salary than average salary.

I understand perfectly well how a long term deal effects the cap. If Hardy's suspension were to be upheld at 10 games Dallas would have had about 4 million more to throw at Dez's cap hit in year 1 - I mentioned this in a previous thread. What I am saying is, I don't think that the Hardy decision was the domino Dallas has been waiting for. Would it have been ideal to be able to throw that 4 million into Dez's first year, if Hardy was suspended 10 games? Yes. But I think what Dallas was really waiting on was to see if D.Thomas signed first.

Perhaps I worded it wrong originally by saying the two issues are independent of each other, but I don't think that 4 million dollars was the prime factor in waiting.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that Hardy's suspension being reduced has anything to do with Dez's contract situation. If anything, with the large reduction in games, Dallas has less money to throw at the first year of the deal. I think the issues are independent of each other.

Seems what Dallas was really waiting on was Denver to pull the trigger with D.Thomas first. Now reports are coming out about possible collusion between Denver and Dallas front offices in regards to negotiating the contracts for Bryant and Thomas. These two will get nearly identical deals. No matter the circumstances, a deal will have to come in the next 4 days.

Well now that the Hardy situation is solved both sides know what Dallas has available. If the suspension was held up Dez camp would have to be more accommodating with the reduction now Dallas can get a little closer to Dez demands.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't come off that price, would you deal him at the deadline for picks and try to find his replacement in the draft? I almost would. The fact that there are 4 legit #1's up for FA right now tells me the market is about to be saturated with top end FA's. Kids grew up running the ball and in the 90's they all started to hit the NFL and we had some great RB's. Then west-coast became the rage and that is what pop warner through college started playing. So kids can flat out catch the ball and run routes now. So we have seen a drop off in the skill of RB's, but more WR's coming out. If we could secure some good picks and Dez keeps asking for megatron money, then let's not handcuff ourself for the next 5 years and just try to replace him. I never would have said that two years ago when we finally had another playmaker but the cap forces teams to be smarter now. We can't have half our cap tied up between our QB and a WR.
If he wants CJ money or his goal is to become the highest paid wide then I trade him.
I'd tag him once, maybe twice pending cap increase but that's me.
35M guaranteed tops

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this is true at all....not with this guy this season I don't.

As long as they have the cap room for him it's not a bad way to play the season. Now if they have to franchise him in 16 that's another story.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're on the money here. Dez will far outperform his 12.8 million cap hit this year.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just about whether he outplays his cap hit this year. Financially, him being on the FT is the worst case scenario. If a deal gets done, it will clear cap space. The real issue is what kind of cap hit his contract will have on the future if he turns out to be just another TO - a head case with abilities is still a head case.

Worst case scenario is we end up with a guy who is so full of himself that he ends up being more of a detriment than an asset, but we are stuck with him and his increasing cap hit.

Personally, I would like to see how he handles himself for a year on the FT. That will give an indication of what he will be in the future.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAY the Man!!

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about him playing under the tag this year but I do think his demands will grow in 16. I'd like to see a deal done now rather than wait.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Dez is T.O. 2.0, not at all. Dez's teammates love him and his coaching staff loves him, T.O. had a reputation for dividing locker rooms. Yes, Dez is a little emotional at times, and it has gotten the best of him once or twice, but by most accounts its not about him being selfish. T.O. famously said "I love me some me!" - that is not Dez.

Does the man want to get paid? Yes. Wouldn't you, after doing what he has done to this point in his career? He's earned the right to be paid like a top WR and that is what Dallas is going to have to do. Calvin Johnson money is not going to happen for Dez, but 6yrs/90million w/ 35-40mil guaranteed seems right.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it was wrong of me to say that he might be another TO. I didn't mean that he has the same ego that TO did, All I meant to say was that he has issues that could become a problem for the franchise and it's not something that we want to be stuck with.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be very interesting for our two teams how this plays out. On the one hand you have 2 great players in Dez and DT but on the other the money they are asking for just doesn't seem worth it for a position so dependent on other positions to be great. I'm actually leaning towards the let DT play on the FT for this year and then let him walk. The past 2 Super Bowl Champs haven't had a 1000 yard receiver and other than Percy Harvin didn't really invest in the WR position. I think that should show at least a little that having a top tier receiver is a little overrated. I mean look at Detroit in this past year was the one time they were decent since Calvin has been there. Same with Fitzgerald in the Cardinals until the last couple of years have been pretty up and down during his career. Now if DT or Dez were willing to sign for maybe that $13 million range I would definitely want to keep them but I just don't think either of them want that

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand perfectly well how a long term deal effects the cap. If Hardy's suspension were to be upheld at 10 games Dallas would have had about 4 million more to throw at Dez's cap hit in year 1 - I mentioned this in a previous thread. What I am saying is, I don't think that the Hardy decision was the domino Dallas has been waiting for. Would it have been ideal to be able to throw that 4 million into Dez's first year, if Hardy was suspended 10 games? Yes. But I think what Dallas was really waiting on was to see if D.Thomas signed first.

Perhaps I worded it wrong originally by saying the two issues are independent of each other, but I don't think that 4 million dollars was the prime factor in waiting.

Understood. While Dallas may try to get creative with savings due to Hardy missing some games (whether it be 4 or 10) I don't see any way Dez has a 2015 cap hit with a long term deal that is higher than his franchise number. I guess I read it as you saying a long term deal from Dez will hurt the 2015 cap. Personally I'd like to see a contract that isn't so back loaded after what we have done with Romo, but I don't see the Jones boys doing it and the increasing cap over time tends to lead to it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you think there is a chance his 2015 cap hit with a long term deal may be higher than his current franchise tag cap hit? I don't know what kind of numbers they are throwing around, but I don't see any way that ends up being the case. If it is I think they gave him way too much money.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're on the money here. Dez will far outperform his 12.8 million cap hit this year.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said though. I never mentioned how I think he will or won't perform. 2015 cap hit with the franchise tag is $13M. If he signs a long term deal his 2915 cap hit will be less than that $13M number. No comment on how he will play or future salary cap hits being made, but I am pretty confident in saying that his 2015 cap hit will be lower than $13M if he signs long term.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its business now and love him or hate him Jerry Jones very seldom loses in a business deal. The Cowboys have the upper hand in the negotiation's. I think they will both comprise some and get it done but.....

Its a game of chicken and my money is on the Cowboys not to blink first

Unless it's a trade for a WR. THen he gets taken to the woodshed every time.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think there is a chance his 2015 cap hit with a long term deal may be higher than his current franchise tag cap hit? I don't know what kind of numbers they are throwing around, but I don't see any way that ends up being the case. If it is I think they gave him way too much money.
I didn't say that...I said Dallas can manage the cap hit as is and content to pay Dez 12.8 this year if he doesn't shorten his demands

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The franchise tag is worst case scenario for the 2015 cap
This is what you said and what I disagreed with...everyone and their grandmother knows the first year hit is less on a long term deal. I think Dallas just might prefer playing this year at the tag for Dez. Maybe next year too.

Better point.....Dallas is not in the cap hell most said 18 months ago. Dez playing at the tag amount this year shows that

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a risk in giving Dez a big money deal as long as it's structured correctly. He will earn the money