• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez news

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what you said and what I disagreed with...everyone and their grandmother knows the first year hit is less on a long term deal. I think Dallas just might prefer playing this year at the tag for Dez. Maybe next year too.

Better point.....Dallas is not in the cap hell most said 18 months ago. Dez playing at the tag amount this year shows that

I thought what I wrote there was clear, but maybe it wasn't. What i meant was that looking at Dez's cap hit for 2015 only, the worst case scenario (as in biggest 2015 cap hit) is the franchise tag. Meaning that any change to Dez's situation will only improve our cap hit. As far as the Cap overall, IMO Romo's HUGE cap hit next year, cutting Ware and letting Murray go to Philly seems to show that may not be the case. Time may tell one way or another when our OL come up as FA's.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a risk in giving Dez a big money deal as long as it's structured correctly. He will earn the money

Agree. A smart contract with Dez is definitely the best move for the Cowboys IMO. Looks like we could have some decent talent at WR to play opposite him and in the slot, but none seem to be "#1" type talent.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes....a long term deal is always better than the f-tag with regards to money spent that season.

I think most that follow football would agree

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and sure...a SMART contract with Dez would be best of all
defining smart could have some variables.

for the team it's about the guaranteed dollars Vs the player who's looking for respect.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Franchised Pro Bowl WR Dez Bryant personally informed executive VP Stephen Jones that he will skip training camp and regular-season games unless the two sides reach a long-term deal by Wednesday's contract deadline, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder"

"Dan Graziano thinks the Broncos and Demaryius Thomas are much closer to a deal than the Cowboys and Dez Bryant. "[Bryant] would have to make major concessions in their direction in order for a deal to get done by Wednesday"

IMO...This is the reason why the team should hold a firm line at around 35M guaranteed over 4/5 years

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Franchised Pro Bowl WR Dez Bryant personally informed executive VP Stephen Jones that he will skip training camp and regular-season games unless the two sides reach a long-term deal by Wednesday's contract deadline, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder"

"Dan Graziano thinks the Broncos and Demaryius Thomas are much closer to a deal than the Cowboys and Dez Bryant. "[Bryant] would have to make major concessions in their direction in order for a deal to get done by Wednesday"

IMO...This is the reason why the team should hold a firm line at around 35M guaranteed over 4/5 years

I heard Stephen came out and said this was not true. I also don't expect the Cowboys to blink if that is the case.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Stephen came out and said this was not true. I also don't expect the Cowboys to blink if that is the case.

me neither. if he misses a game I pull any long term offer off the table immediately

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is a huge talent and all the teams know it. Once he steps on the field so often the defense has to pick their poison. It creates opportunity. You can't put a price tag on that.

But as we know in the real world there is price tag.

So if Dez was to go into "douche mode" and sit out training camp because he does not want to take the tag money and shelve the big contract for now or sign the contract the boys are offering ...then he can go spit.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, Dez couldn't even stay away from practice. I don't see him being able to stay away from a game...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no long term deal to pull if they don't come together by Wednesday

Good point. But I wouldn't give him one next year either if he misses a game. I'd tag him again. That way he only gets what he plays for.

I want Dez on this team, but I also understand that we can help this team with the $13M a year we were going to give him in other ways. Never let players hold you hostage when a full value contract is at stake. If a guy is worth $13M and he is only making $1M that's one thing, but he is going to require full value to keep. If he goes elsewhere we get a supplemental pick and $13M a year to help fill the void and make this team better. I will never have sympathy for a player that has a $13M deal on the table and feels disrespected. Long term deal are a two way street. If he wants one so bad he should concede a little more to get it...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants one so bad he should concede a little more to get it...
this is my feelings as well, however I have concerns with Dez's new representation.
I also think Dez remains a guy who can be greatly influenced

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is my feelings as well, however I have concerns with Dez's new representation.
I also think Dez remains a guy who can be greatly influenced

What is exactly new about his representation? The agent negotiating has a long standing relationship with JJ. Hope you not thinking Jay Z is actually negotiating his contract. ...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is exactly new about his representation? The agent negotiating has a long standing relationship with JJ. Hope you not thinking Jay Z is actually negotiating his contract. ...
no sir....I'm fully aware of his representation and that remains my concern. These guys are building a business with very high expectations.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no sir....I'm fully aware of his representation and that remains my concern. These guys are building a business with very high expectations.

The interesting part is he is representing both Dez & D. Thomas

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants CJ money or his goal is to become the highest paid wide then I trade him.
I'd tag him once, maybe twice pending cap increase but that's me.
35M guaranteed tops

I would go & think 40M guaranteed would get a deal done.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure you would...35M is my top number while yours is 40M

I'm good with the different opinion
sure you would...35M is my top number while yours is 40M

Personally I think he earned it. Business wise it doesn't make sense not to put this years guaranteed money i.e. franchise tag towards a long term contract. If the plan is to keep Dez long term. If you pay him 13m this year & give him a long term contract next year it may even be upwards of $40M guaranteed total. Now if you want to treat him like Anthony Spencer that is a different story....

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is a huge talent but also a huge possible risk. While he has earned a new contract the value of said contract is whats trying to be determined. I side with the Cowboys on this 1 and if Dez decides to holdout of training camp that is his Choice albeit a stupid 1 that's simply costs him money. When he decides to come back so be it but that's not to say the offer should be increased from what is Fair market value.

This is all about Roc Nation and their trying to build a company and mercurial WR who has an inflated value of what his actual worth is.

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes...to some degree it's a game of not wanting to set the market... but I also think Dallas is good with Dez on the f-tag IF his council isn't willing to come off this 50M, high forty's guaranteed stuff. It's a business first!!

35M guaranteed is about as high as I would go on a multi year deal

I didn't really think about it much, but looking at overthecap, only Calvin has more guaranteed $'s than $35M. Actually other than Calvin the next highest is Wallace at $27M guaranteed. So $35 seems more than fair for Dez. You can even say it's a little high if anything.

edit: spotrac shows Wallace at $30M guaranteed. Not sure which is right and too lazy to analyze the #'s and figure it out. Usually its overthecap from what I have found. Either way, my point still holds.