• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant made brilliant catch. Cowboys hosed

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus why should it be changed NOW? Because it happened to the almighty cowboys? Where were the discussions to change the rule when it happened to calvin johnson, TWICE!!!

How bout lets change the rule that if a penalty is announced and marked off, a crooked official 40 yds away cant over rule it.

There was lots of discussion back then, too. This one was during a playoff game, though, so it's naturally going to get a little more buzz.

As for your suggested rule... yeah, the NFL should make sure that doesn't happen again. Probably not by making it an official rule.. that'd be weird... but it certainly should be part of the training a ref gets going forward. Don't announce a penalty before giving your crew a chance to discuss it if they want... once you announce it... you can't discuss it as a crew anymore.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ground can cause a fumble. If a guy trips over himself and the ball comes out then it's a fumble. The rule is down by contact when the ball is dislodged by the ground if they were tackled.

I stand corrected...the caveat to your point is if the guy hasn't been touch...that would be a fumble because you're not down...but if you have possession and going as a result of a tackle...you know the rest.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to reach over the goal-line. LOL

For your LOL (something I NEVER do, LOL that is, not the typing not the actual act) I am now renaming the stuff I feed my 2 cats while I make my lunch for the next work day to anything besides Scooby snacks. I may call it shit on a stick and hope Shaggy feeds you similarly.....

You are obviously blind and a drone living in The Matrix.

Dez made that catch. Everything he did he intended to do.

I sat this realizing you personally may have difficulty breathing without drooling.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For your LOL (something I NEVER do, LOL that is, not the typing not the actual act) I am now renaming the stuff I feed my 2 cats while I make my lunch for the next work day to anything besides Scooby snacks. I may call it shit on a stick and hope Shaggy feeds you similarly.....

I sat this realizing you personally may have difficulty breathing without drooling.

He had complete control and was making a football move by reaching for the goal line yet couldn't get the ball stretched past his helmet. I guess he also meant to be falling the entire time?

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had complete control and was making a football move by reaching for the goal line yet couldn't get the ball stretched past his helmet. I guess he also meant to be falling the entire time?

"Couldn't get the ball stretched past his helmet." <--- that's an excellent fucking point.

What a stretch Dez has!!! I yawn and stretch further; and I ain't even going for a TD.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You aren't going to get them to reason with you. They see what they want to see. Kind of pointless to try to burst their bubble anymore. They are going to tell you he intentionally fell forward for the next 20 years. Leave them to their delusions.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't going to get them to reason with you. They see what they want to see. Kind of pointless to try to burst their bubble anymore. They are going to tell you he intentionally fell forward for the next 20 years. Leave them to their delusions.

I kind of get it because when you watch it in slow motion he gets 3 steps down and it looks like he possessed the ball because he has it for 2 seconds in slow motion. In real speed he's never in control of what's happening. He's just falling. He doesn't switch hands, and he doesn't reach for the goal line. Maybe he tries to reach for the goal line but he's so out of control he can only reach barely over his shoulder. In reality, he's just falling.

I'm in the minority, but I don't even think it's a bad rule. The receiver should need to gain possession before the ball hits the ground. I'm also tired of hearing people say that would have been a catch in the old days, because in the old days it was automatically incomplete if the ball hit the ground before the receiver gained possession of the ball. It's a relatively new rule that says it can be a catch if it hits the ground and they never lose control... which obviously Dez did in either case.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This means nothing. Everyone seems to keep saying that Dez did this, or Dez did that...in the context of the rule, it does. not. matter.

Because his momentum started with the act of catching the ball, which occurs BEFORE he has the ball, he must establish his own momentum sperate of the original momentum, which again, occurs before he has the ball. That is why the WR must control the ball through the catch, including when he (or the ball) hits the ground.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh yes, this is first time in SportsHoopla history that people have not changed their opinion on an issue.
I mean really, has there ever been a thread on this site that did not end with people as divided as when it was started?

Some people believe the moves he made were intentional. So please do us all a favor and stop trying to paint them as if they are the most delusional people to ever visit this site.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "dropped" ball never occurred on this play.

Did the ball 'hit' or 'touch' the ground?

If I'm holding my laptop while 'taking 3 steps and falling to the ground" and my laptop corner 'hits' or 'touches' the ground, it is probably proper for me to say, "I DROPPED" my laptop while falling to the ground.

NOW, if you contend that the ball never touched the ground in ANY way, then we are talking about different things. I believe the ball 'hit' the ground and caused it to pop out of his grasp, thus "he dropped" the ball.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This turd is still floating in the bowl???

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, you'd think after 18 pages of debate on here the NFL would have reversed their decision and given Dez the catch and the Cowboys the game. No? It's still not a complete catch? Odd. Well keep debating and they'll change it eventually.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let this thread die now!

Here's Dean Blandino, NFL VP of Officiating, the guy that said Dez's catch wasn't a catch because he didn't "make enough of a football move," explaining what a catch is. Not sure why he didn't provide the same explanation after last weekends game, but anyways, enjoy:

Watch San Diego Chargers vs. Cincinnati Bengals [01/05/2014] - NFL.com

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFFBevAXIAAb06T.jpg:large