• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant gets 5-year, $70 million deal from Cowboys

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas Cowboys, Dez Bryant reach 5-year, $70 million deal

still reading ...

45 million guaranteed. Holy Snikes.

I guess 1 year with Greg Hardy is better then nothing.

It doesn't necessarily preclude Hardy from being here next year. Dallas could tag him for one year. But after that, Dallas would need to start making decisions on Frederick and then Martin the following year. With Carr likely out the door next year, there should be enough to retain Hardy under a F-tag.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It doesn't necessarily preclude Hardy from being here next year. Dallas could tag him for one year. But after that, Dallas would need to start making decisions on Frederick and then Martin the following year. With Carr likely out the door next year, there should be enough to retain Hardy under a F-tag.

Can't tag Hardy. It is in their one year contract. The 20 million signing bonus and 45 million guranteed may give the Cowboys flexibility if they back loaded it somewhat to years 4 and 5.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't tag Hardy. It is in their one year contract. The 20 million signing bonus and 45 million guranteed may give the Cowboys flexibility if they back loaded it somewhat to years 4 and 5.

You're right. I forgot about that provision in his deal. Oh well. 1 year rental it is. Dallas will have a little money to spend next year with Hardy and Carr off the books. Also probably won't have McClain past this year. So if Dallas needs to upgrade somewhere they should have the cash to do it.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No shortage of unanswered questions from now till then when it comes to Hardy.

But you get this feeling by week 8 as he rounds into form ...nightmare.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Dez stay out of trouble and keep up his performance on the field, now that he's "been paid"?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of my meeting and a deal is done??? Without me???

I'll wait for the details before commenting, but it looks OK to me at first glance. Guaranteed dollars are obviously a little higher than we probably should have gone, but at $14M per instead of over $15M plus I'm not going to worry too much about that. Also, as long as they included some language to protect themselves if there are any major incidents which I know they wanted, then it's even better. the devil is in the details, not the headlines...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Pro Football Talk, Bryant will get $23 million in the first year and the other $22 million of the $45 million guaranteed doesn't truly become guaranteed until March, 2016. Of the first-year money, $20 million is in the form of a signing bonus, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Like most of these deals, after the first year it becomes a year-to-year proposition for the Cowboys and the contract can be ripped up, thrown out, or renegotiated whenever they want.

Dez Bryant's new contract is a win for the Dallas Cowboys - Business Insider

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of my meeting and a deal is done??? Without me???

I'll wait for the details before commenting, but it looks OK to me at first glance. Guaranteed dollars are obviously a little higher than we probably should have gone, but at $14M per instead of over $15M plus I'm not going to worry too much about that. Also, as long as they included some language to protect themselves if there are any major incidents which I know they wanted, then it's even better. the devil is in the details, not the headlines...

Jerry wanted to wait for you but there was only minutes left before the deadline.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Hardy is a Cowboy right now, Dez was and will always be a Cowboy. I will not be so sad if Hardy is a 1 year rental but would be very upset if Dez ever leaves.

We can try to figure out Hardy as times go on.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start by saying, my Dez Bryant throwback is hanging up right now, and I plan to wear that jersey for each game this upcoming season, like I have been. I'm incredibly thrilled they got a deal done, and it doesn't look that bad of a deal, especially when I was thinking Dez wanted 18-19 mil a year.

But when a player goes after this much money, it effects what the team can do for the other 52 roster spots. This is well deserved, don't get me wrong here. But the more money you take out of the salary cap, the less can go into re-signing the "Super Bowl" core Dez believes is there, and less can go into luring free agents to your team so you can still have a viable chance.

We have Dez, Tony, and Tyron locked up here. What about Greg Hardy and this incredible offensive line? I've got a feeling Hardy will use this to show he can play, and other teams are going to try and snag him away from us if he keeps his nose clean. This o-line, once they hit the open market one by one, they may go after the money Parnell was able to grab, and more.

That's the only thing about players wanting big bucks. You can either have more money or a better chance at a Super Bowl. One will go away in your lifetime, one will not.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start by saying, my Dez Bryant throwback is hanging up right now, and I plan to wear that jersey for each game this upcoming season, like I have been. I'm incredibly thrilled they got a deal done, and it doesn't look that bad of a deal, especially when I was thinking Dez wanted 18-19 mil a year.

But when a player goes after this much money, it effects what the team can do for the other 52 roster spots. This is well deserved, don't get me wrong here. But the more money you take out of the salary cap, the less can go into re-signing the "Super Bowl" core Dez believes is there, and less can go into luring free agents to your team so you can still have a viable chance.

We have Dez, Tony, and Tyron locked up here. What about Greg Hardy and this incredible offensive line? I've got a feeling Hardy will use this to show he can play, and other teams are going to try and snag him away from us if he keeps his nose clean. This o-line, once they hit the open market one by one, they may go after the money Parnell was able to grab, and more.

That's the only thing about players wanting big bucks. You can either have more money or a better chance at a Super Bowl. One will go away in your lifetime, one will not.

Good post. Welcome aboard. That is exactly the point that I think many were missing when they were saying "just sign him" as if we should just give him what he is asking. To act as if the team should just give him what he wants is foolish. So you give him more money and say goodbye to Frederick or Martin? How does that help the team win? I think this ended up as a fair contract. I still am of the belief that WRs salaries (as compared to other positions) are way too high, so I didn't feel the need to cave and give him Calvin money and I'm glad they didn't. The arrow for this team is pointing up as long as Romo is healthy.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. Welcome aboard. That is exactly the point that I think many were missing when they were saying "just sign him" as if we should just give him what he is asking. To act as if the team should just give him what he wants is foolish. So you give him more money and say goodbye to Frederick or Martin? How does that help the team win? I think this ended up as a fair contract. I still am of the belief that WRs salaries (as compared to other positions) are way too high, so I didn't feel the need to cave and give him Calvin money and I'm glad they didn't. The arrow for this team is pointing up as long as Romo is healthy.

Just sign him meaning get the damn deal done. Everybody & they momma knew Dez was going to get a long term contract. Why franchise him & disrupt the chemistry of the team? I am glad Dez got his worth & the deal was fair to all involved......