• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant gets 5-year, $70 million deal from Cowboys

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just sign him meaning get the damn deal done. Everybody & they momma knew Dez was going to get a long term contract. Why franchise him & disrupt the chemistry of the team? I am glad Dez got his worth & the deal was fair to all involved......

Again. It takes two sides to agree. At the time Dez was asking for more than they were going to give him. BOTH sides were EQUALLY responsible for no deal being in place.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. It takes two sides to agree. At the time Dez was asking for more than they were going to give him. BOTH sides were EQUALLY responsible for no deal being in place.

Most were saying they wouldn't go over $30 mil guarantee. Good thing they didnt have the final say.... I do think it is fair to say The Cowboyz nudge closer to Dez price.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was not realistic to only give Dez 30 million in guarantees based on the fact that we were willing to Ftag him the next year also, guaranteeing him in the neighborhood of 27 million over two years. 27 million in guarantees was the floor, then you add in what is an appropriate or fiscally responsible number for a player of his caliber. I think the Cowboys actually walked away from this with a good deal for them- moreso than Bryant.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most were saying they wouldn't go over $30 mil guarantee. Good thing they didnt have the final say.... I do think it is fair to say The Cowboyz nudge closer to Dez price.

And some spoke as if they had no issue with him wanting more than Calvin. Thank God THEY didn't have the final say. I still don't think tagging Dez would have been an issue AT ALL. It was all posturing. He wouldn't have missed a second of time and would have been damn happy with $13M coming his way...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was not realistic to only give Dez 30 million in guarantees based on the fact that we were willing to Ftag him the next year also, guaranteeing him in the neighborhood of 27 million over two years. 27 million in guarantees was the floor, then you add in what is an appropriate or fiscally responsible number for a player of his caliber. I think the Cowboys actually walked away from this with a good deal for them- moreso than Bryant.

I keep reading that, but it's not quite that simple. What if he blows out his knee next week? He never sees the $15M in 2016 and it doesn't hit our cap.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would open the door for him? I don't think a 27 year old Bryant signs on for much less than that even coming off an injury. He would get his money from some other team. Maybe not +/-15 in that next season, but certainly not 15 for the duration of his next contract - even if its a 2 year contract.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And some spoke as if they had no issue with him wanting more than Calvin. Thank God THEY didn't have the final say. I still don't think tagging Dez would have been an issue AT ALL. It was all posturing. He wouldn't have missed a second of time and would have been damn happy with $13M coming his way...

pretty sure the stick pointer is looking my way... and the top end was 35M, not 30M

I'm glad it's done and if everything goes right, Dez gets the 45M....:hope:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just sign him meaning get the damn deal done. Everybody & they momma knew Dez was going to get a long term contract. Why franchise him & disrupt the chemistry of the team? I am glad Dez got his worth & the deal was fair to all involved......

Well if the team "Just signed him" without the FT deadline approaching it probably would mean much more money involved.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. Welcome aboard. That is exactly the point that I think many were missing when they were saying "just sign him" as if we should just give him what he is asking. To act as if the team should just give him what he wants is foolish. So you give him more money and say goodbye to Frederick or Martin? How does that help the team win? I think this ended up as a fair contract. I still am of the belief that WRs salaries (as compared to other positions) are way too high, so I didn't feel the need to cave and give him Calvin money and I'm glad they didn't. The arrow for this team is pointing up as long as Romo is healthy.
Thank you for the warm welcome sir. :)

I saw Jerry make a comment along the lines of "let's go win 5 Super Bowls" towards Dez, insinuating this contract better bring championshipS to Big D. I hope so... But again, we may end up losing another player for money.

I know we're dumping Carr's salary next year, but that won't nearly be enough to keep all of us together, unfortunately. :(

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love states and I understand that even in most stats that there can be many underlining factors the can both skew or strengthen the opinion of certain players and/or teams. I also Understand that stats can be greatly manipulated. Prior to Dez signing this big contract I did a little research of who in my opinion or the best wrs in the game with at least 4 seasons. After looking at these number's Dez is even more elite than I thought. Here goes. I'm at work no time for a spread sheet so try and follow me.

I valued the following stats: (So each time you see numbers it will follow this format) Omitting the playoffs.

(G) Games played/started
(Rec)
(YPR)
(TDS)

A.J. Green : 60/60, 329, 14.8, and 35. Amazing YPR shocked at his TD production that it would be more. 4 seasons played
D. Thomas : 69/55, 651, 15.1, and 41. 5 Seasons played
J. Jones: 49/48, 278, 15.6, and 26. 4 seasons played
Megatron: 119/114, 643, 16.2, and 74. 8 seasons played. This dude is a monster
L. Fritzgerald: 170/168, 909, 13.4, and 74. 11 seasons played. HOFer no doubt.
D. Bryant: 75/61, 381, 14.2 and 56. 5 seasons played.

Dez's numbers are without question on par with his elite pers. He's actually is a slight step behind them but certainly still have amazing numbers, but then you look at his T.D. output and you kinda do a double take.

My clear omissions were J Nelson, Marshall, Jackson, and dude in Pittsburgh his name escapes me right now.

I'm Shocked at Green and Jones's low TD production. IMO Dez's TD production elevates him into a top 3 type wr.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive the awful format/no spread sheet. This was an eye opener for me

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that has impressed me most about Dez is his growth on the field over the 5 years. The guy wants to get better and has gotten better. First it was route running, then taking plays off, then too loose with the football. Dude is a straight up monster. He literally went from Troy saying he couldn't remember anyone doing more to hurt the cowboys on the field a few years ago, to being the heartbeat of the team with zero fumbles. You gotta reward that. my two cents

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that has impressed me most about Dez is his growth on the field over the 5 years. The guy wants to get better and has gotten better. First it was route running, then taking plays off, then too loose with the football. Dude is a straight up monster. He literally went from Troy saying he couldn't remember anyone doing more to hurt the cowboys on the field a few years ago, to being the heartbeat of the team with zero fumbles. You gotta reward that. my two cents
Agreed He still need to do a little more maturing. To use a baseball analogy Dez is a 5 tool player.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 10 catches per game for Thomas. No wonder he got that big contract:D