• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit's lack of respect for Hill/Stackhouse

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just copy and paste my post from the Jerry Stackhouse retiring thread.

Miami Heat at Detroit Pistons Box Score, April 29, 2000 | Basketball-Reference.com

My guess the reason Detroit switched to teal in the mid-90's was to provide a more kid-friendly organization and to provide a more Great Lakes feel, as the Bad Boys era too much promoted bullies.

Grant Hill and Jerry Stackhouse played their prime years in a Pistons uniform, yet they get practically no appreciation from their own fans. Just because they didn't fit your team's tired Bad Boy culture doesn't mean they were soft or weren't great players. Hill was the piece that got you Ben Wallace. Stackhouse was the piece that got you Rip Hamilton. Stackhouse got you your first Playoff series win since the Bad Boys era and before Chauncey, Rip, Prince, or Rasheed arrived.

The 1999-2000 Pistons was basically Hill and Stackhouse taking turns going one-on-one, as the two avaraged close to a combined 50 points per game with practically no supporting case. Grant Hill in his younger days was a player who thrived at making others better. Even though his scoring was up that year, he wasn't as effective as a player overall.

I remember watching Game 3 of your first round matchup against the Heat that year. I was only 12 years old at the time, but it turns out I have quite a memory. Back then, I actually thought the teal were Detroit's primary colors.:lol:
Hill's ankle injury became too severe to the point he was holding the team back, so he sat out this game. I remember seeing signage in Palace stands begging him to re-sign with the team. People in Detroit hated the Hill trade at the time, yet three years later you lauded it as the greatest trade ever. Hypocrisy perhaps? I'd say so...

Of course, I was rooting for the Pistons to win the game. Miami's defense was suffocating. The game was competitive until the Heat started to pull away late in the 3rd quarter. No one on the Pistons could buy a perimeter shot this game. Stackhouse I remember made a nifty and-one to the basket with three guys on him. Knowing how cocky Pat Riley was/is, he probably told his team "If he makes that shot again, shake his hand." Stackhouse had a hard-earned 25 points that day, but no one else on Detroit was relevant enough for them to win.