• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this past weekend, it's kind of boring that the only complaint of this team is Phil Coke.. Everyone has stepped up lately.. And Smiley looks legit.. Speed is looking like it helps.. Is Rajai Davis really going to play at that level the entire season? Probably not but who knows.. :suds:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this past weekend, it's kind of boring that the only complaint of this team is Phil Coke.. Everyone has stepped up lately.. And Smiley looks legit.. Speed is looking like it helps.. Is Rajai Davis really going to play at that level the entire season? Probably not but who knows.

Rajai will likely fall close to his career numbers (.260-ish), but there is perhaps a glimmer of hope that his improvement is legit and he maybe hits .280. He's always hit LH pitching well, and Dirks will be back in June to start against the tough RHPs. It'll be tough to take Rajai's speed out of the lineup, though.

On Smyly, my biggest concern will be his durability later in the year. He's never thrown more than 100 IP in a big league season.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are still well in 1st for team batting average (.283), and have moved up to 9th in runs scored, but 5th in runs per game (5.0). Team ERA now 2nd best in the AL (3.66).

The Royals went from 2nd in team ERA (3.20) to 5th (3.85) in three days. OUCH!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rajai will likely fall close to his career numbers (.260-ish), but there is perhaps a glimmer of hope that his improvement is legit and he maybe hits .280. He's always hit LH pitching well, and Dirks will be back in June to start against the tough RHPs. It'll be tough to take Rajai's speed out of the lineup, though.

On Smyly, my biggest concern will be his durability later in the year. He's never thrown more than 100 IP in a big league season.

With Ausmus actaully playing small ball. I see Rajai utilized late in those games when Dirks is back. Smyly will be huge in the upcoming stretch of games with no days off. I would imagine he is the one skipped when those chances arrive, to limit his innings later in season.

Sure would be nice to see Robbie pitch decent enough to move Smyly back to pen.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricky's 14-2 since the All-Star break last I believe. With a 2 point something ERA. People can hate the Fister trade if they want. Im glad its looking like Ricky will be a long term Tiger. Hard to find a curveball like that.

And people will. I didnt want porcello traded either. But there is a dude with different colored eyes who they could have gotten a ton for.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got into it with jalopy concerning this. If Smyly would go back to the permanently, Hanrahanrahan contributes and Coke lets lefties only hit .295 we'll be in coast mode at the trade deadline.

Im all for putting smyly back in the pen. That gives them one reliable pitcher in the pen. Coke sucks and I think hanrahan is good. Unfortunately good teams like the braves, dodgers, cardinals, and giants can run out reliever after reliever with good numbers.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one reason why JL was past his prime.

Ausmus is a breath of fresh air and I'll keep saying it.

I for one fucking hated it when he started scrubs saying the guys need rest. Ridiculous, only pitchers and catchers need rest. You put the best team out there daily. Always drove me crazy. This is their fucking job, they have half a year to fuck around and then when they are playing such a "physically demanding" sport they need a day off every week and a half.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this past weekend, it's kind of boring that the only complaint of this team is Phil Coke.. Everyone has stepped up lately.. And Smiley looks legit.. Speed is looking like it helps.. Is Rajai Davis really going to play at that level the entire season? Probably not but who knows.. :suds:

Thats great restraint from you. I think the team has more concerns then phil coke. The pen is awful but starters look good, nick c is holding his own, Ajax is getting better, vmart is a stud and miggy has yet to hit like miggy. So things look good besides the pen.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rajai should be playing against lefties and sitting against righties.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are still well in 1st for team batting average (.283), and have moved up to 9th in runs scored, but 5th in runs per game (5.0). Team ERA now 2nd best in the AL (3.66).

The Royals went from 2nd in team ERA (3.20) to 5th (3.85) in three days. OUCH!

I know everyone loves the long ball... IMO seeing them stay atop the BA column and team ERA is way more important than worrying about runs scored. I noticed it was big convo during winter about no Fielder and runs scored.

Keep team BA up and IMO shows getting into other teams BP's earlier in games. Leading team ERA and BA translates to W's. Scoring a ton of runs does not always translate to W's

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main thing people are not seeing is Miggy is not even hitting up to his par yet... When Miggy starts to hit for power... which i think will come as it heats up and his surgery gets farther and farther away... Its a deadly offense. Seriously... MIggy is hitting pedestrian numbers and we are still scoring runs... that is not something that happened last year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main thing people are not seeing is Miggy is not even hitting up to his par yet... When Miggy starts to hit for power... which i think will come as it heats up and his surgery gets farther and farther away... Its a deadly offense. Seriously... MIggy is hitting pedestrian numbers and we are still scoring runs... that is not something that happened last year.

I agree. Last year the offense was lost when miggy did poorly. Its nice to see the offense is not as one dimensional this year. Getting rid of prince helped immensely.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure would be nice to see Robbie pitch decent enough to move Smyly back to pen.

I think Smyly would make the pen better, but I also think he's earned his role as a starter. That's what he was in college and the minors, and that's what he wants to be. If Ray sticks around, I think it is Ray that goes to the pen, if nothing more than to limit his innings. Likely scenario though is Hanrahan comes off the DL and Ray goes down to get more work at the minor league level.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously... MIggy is hitting pedestrian numbers and we are still scoring runs... that is not something that happened last year.

Something to be said for stolen bases (35 all last year, 24 already this year) and having guys who can score from first base standing up on a double.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one fucking hated it when he started scrubs saying the guys need rest. Ridiculous, only pitchers and catchers need rest. You put the best team out there daily ...

I'm with ya there, laker. I can see getting your backups in once a week so they stay sharp for when you really need them, but with Leyland it seemed that every getaway game had the whole trio of Kelly, Santiago and Tuiasosopo in the game at once.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are some good problems that are going to arise when guys get back from injuries. Dirks and JD Martinez in the outfield , there will be depth in the OF. The way Ricky and Smyly have started and the real chance Ray will turn out. The BP will get better, with getting rid of Coke and Hanarhan coming in june.....there some short term guys from the pen on the 15 day.....there are still options. ...So far SS looks good with Romine and Worth....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are some good problems that are going to arise when guys get back from injuries. Dirks and JD Martinez in the outfield , there will be depth in the OF. The way Ricky and Smyly have started and the real chance Ray will turn out. The BP will get better, with getting rid of Coke and Hanarhan coming in june.....there some short term guys from the pen on the 15 day.....there are
still options. ...So far SS looks good with Romine and Worth....

Actually very pleased with Romine's defense. He may not cover the ground that Iglesias would, but not a severe drop-off, either. Any offense he gives us is a bonus.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday night at Comerica against the Astros. Kinsler Hunter Cabrera Martinez Jackson Nick C Avila Romine Davis Maxi Pooh on the bump.....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow had a busy weekend and missed most of the games, caught some of saturdays game on fox1. Big sweep for the tigs.....KC is the one team that scared me....they are the only central team i keep checking to see if they win or lose. I just dont see the sox, twins or injuns pushing 90 wins....so anytime we can open up a lead on KC early is a plus.....this could be the year we all have been waiting for the last 3 years....get out to an early lead and coast to the end....lets not give any momentum to any teams by letting them have first place.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually very pleased with Romine's defense. He may not cover the ground that Iglesias would, but not a severe drop-off, either. Any offense he gives us is a bonus.

Yeah i havent been mad about romine. It wasnt like iggy was going to hit 330. Romine gives us decent defense and more speed on the bases. Still anxious to see if the tigers show interest in drew once the deadline for the draft pick passes....once october starts, romine might stick out more in the big games where AB's become more and more important. Gonna be interesting but the tigers are playing well now..

Lets hope they dont get comfortable with houston and minny coming to town....anything less than 5-2 this week is a letdown i think. Gotta crush the scrubs.