• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing bases is not the only thing speed is good for.....Ajax hitting lower in the lineup should give him more chances to steal not having to worry about Miggy being walked behind him....Tigers not being a playoff team...bereal....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing bases is not the only thing speed is good for.....Ajax hitting lower in the lineup should give him more chances to steal not having to worry about Miggy being walked behind him....Tigers not being a playoff team...bereal....

This move won't push AJ down in the lineup. His career OBP is lower than AJ's although against lefties it is much higher. Don't mistake his speed for being a great defender. He struggled in center and his arm is suspect as you would expect for a small guy. Overall, Davis adds depth and versatility but this move puts even more pressure on Nick C to perform up to expectations.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still talk about signing Choo. I kind of doubt that Rajai Davis would have signed with Detroit without getting assurance that he had a shot at a full time job. I'd be pissed if all of a sudden I'm 4th outfielder to Choo, Jackson, and Hunter.

Tigers mentioned in Octavio Dotel discussion. Nah......been there, done that. Besides, at his age, Dotel would only sign with a team that had playoff hopes.
:rollseyes:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like the deal with Davis is done. Two years for the speedy outfielder. maybe he can teach AJ how to steal a base.

I don't know if Rickey Henderson and Lou Brock could teach Austin how to be a good baserunner. But hopefully Davis rubs off on him. Any word on the money?

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$9-10 million over two years. Added bonus.....Davis gets Fielder's 'extra large' locker at CoPa.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rajai will be a good platoon option. Everyday player? Not so much.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't tax me to death as a tourist, can they? I bet there are plenty of Tigers fans. (I never was aware Maggs had political ambitions, until tonight)

Like i said....maybe youre on to something....not the tax part.....the death part..

Back to miggy....yeah said yanks woulda stuck miggy at 1B and never got tex.....tigers wouldve been hurting....they wouldve kept inge since casey blake was top FA 3B....and most likely got dunn or tex the following year to play 1B.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least this move should allow kinsler or hunter to bat 5th i guess?

Added some speed.....now lets hope they can get on to use it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i said....maybe youre on to something....not the tax part.....the death part..

Back to miggy....yeah said yanks woulda stuck miggy at 1B and never got tex.....tigers wouldve been hurting....they wouldve kept inge since casey blake was top FA 3B....and most likely got dunn or tex the following year to play 1B.

Huh. That definitely would have made for a different past 5 seasons. Glad we never ended up with Dunn. Is there something about Venezuela I don't know about?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh. That definitely would have made for a different past 5 seasons. Glad we never ended up with Dunn. Is there something about Venezuela I don't know about?

No its lovely.....great place to vacation.....maybe disappear? Get kidnapped? Beheaded? I dont know.......i dont care to leave the US unless its somewhere like canada or jamaica.....foreigners dont care for americans now days....we all look like george bush.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the same old Tigers!

Detroit's defense has improved by leaps and bounds! And no longer will Detroit be stationary on the base paths. Reduction in double plays as well.

The Tigers have basically swapped Prince, Peralta, and Infante in the lineup for Castellanos, Kinler, and Inglesias. The trade off as I see it is….

a reduction in HRs of between 17-23 for the season.

But an increase in OBP, SB, and fielding percentage.

I would say a reduction in RBIs as well but the amount has more to do with batting order than anything else but an increase in runs but again it's to tough to project.

Detroit has really moved closer to the type of team needed to play in Comerica and give them a true home field advantage. My only real head scratcher is why give up Fister a control pitcher that relies on defense when you upgraded the teams defense? I am starting to think Sanchez might have been a better choice to be moved, but thats a different argument.

So if you are worried about V Marts lack of power Detroit will have plenty of guys that can score from second on his base hits.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully these moves eliminate the all or nothing offense. averaging 5 runs a game, yet 2 runs or less in 37 games. So lots of six runs game followed by a one run game. For all those worried by cabrerra's protection, Martinez did drive in over 100 runs hitting behind him in 2011. Miguel got 22 IBB with martinez behind him and 17 and 19 the 2 years with prince behind him. Not sure we will notice much of an impact losing prince.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully these moves eliminate the all or nothing offense. averaging 5 runs a game, yet 2 runs or less in 37 games. So lots of six runs game followed by a one run game. For all those worried by cabrerra's protection, Martinez did drive in over 100 runs hitting behind him in 2011. Miguel got 22 IBB with martinez behind him and 17 and 19 the 2 years with prince behind him. Not sure we will notice much of an impact losing prince.

Yeah but martinez will be 3 yrs older......and detroit had more guys to hit in the lineup 5-9.....

The addition of davis will help if he leads off.....i would still like kinsler hitting 5th....just dont see where some tiger fans think hes such a better leadoff hitter than ajax.....i also think ajax may steal more bases with ausmus calling the shots.

The wild card is nicky C.....if hes a productive hitter.....then all these moves are golden......if he ends up hitting like a scott sizemore then we will be in trouble. My opinion only.....i sure hope hes a future all star....

So angels got santiago for trumbo eh? He would of been a nice addition to LF.....to bat 5th....even play 3B if needed.....oh well, gotta move on with what we got...

Everyone got their wish for speed and defense....we will see if it gets us over the hump....or left out watching the playoffs...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the same old Tigers!

Detroit's defense has improved by leaps and bounds! And no longer will Detroit be stationary on the base paths. Reduction in double plays as well.

The Tigers have basically swapped Prince, Peralta, and Infante in the lineup for Castellanos, Kinler, and Inglesias. The trade off as I see it is….

a reduction in HRs of between 17-23 for the season.

But an increase in OBP, SB, and fielding percentage.

I would say a reduction in RBIs as well but the amount has more to do with batting order than anything else but an increase in runs but again it's to tough to project.

Detroit has really moved closer to the type of team needed to play in Comerica and give them a true home field advantage. My only real head scratcher is why give up Fister a control pitcher that relies on defense when you upgraded the teams defense? I am starting to think Sanchez might have been a better choice to be moved, but thats a different argument.

So if you are worried about V Marts lack of power Detroit will have plenty of guys that can score from second on his base hits.

Dont feel like looking it up....but it seems fielder, infante, and peralta's OBP would be better than a rookie, kinsler and iggy......fielder seemed to walk alot....could be wrong tho...

I do agree about trading fister.....guy got a ton of ground balls.....we upgraded the defense than traded him...but i guess the word is, is that mr illitch is almost broke:noidea:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand the frustration of the all or nothing offense....but these guys still have to get on....if they hit decent....then it will be Ok

But...

What if kinsler keeps declining

What if iggy shows hes really a 245 hitter

Ajax....welll.....is ajax

Rajai and dirks both dont seem to ever get on

Nicky c struggles and hits 220-240

Avila hits like the first half last year....and the year before that...and....

Thats alot of "ifs", but really wouldnt surprise me one bit if they all happened...

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move won't push AJ down in the lineup. His career OBP is lower than AJ's although against lefties it is much higher. Don't mistake his speed for being a great defender. He struggled in center and his arm is suspect as you would expect for a small guy. Overall, Davis adds depth and versatility but this move puts even more pressure on Nick C to perform up to expectations.

I wasn't talking about the Davis deal.....I don't like Davis he sucked in Toronto.....Ajax will be down in the order because of other deals.....his opportunities to run will be different....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way Davis regularly hits at the top of the Tigers order.

Im more worried about getting a decent hitter in the 5 hole....so important with miggy 3 rd....

My opinion you can put kinsler, ajax, and davis name all in a hat and pick one to leadoff.....none of them blow you away with OBP.....