• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you and until the dominoes start falling, it is pure speculation. His range is obviously poor and it appears the Tigers are trying to improve defensively. I guess I am still stuck on the thought that Ilitch doesn't want him because of the juicing.

The Yankees are looking for possible backups for Jeter and A Roid. They signed Ryan I believe but a .197 hitter isn't the answer. I could see the Yankees or Diamondbacks wanting him.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks have no need for Peralta. Prado at 3B with Matt Davidson (prospect) pushing him. With Owings and Gregorious, they may trade a SS, not get one.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peralta, sadly, may be the answer at 3B. Or they stick with Castellanos as the 3B. There are no top-of-the-line thirdbaseman available. I'd mentioned Freese from St.L.....but I did not realize that his defense was as bad as Cabrera's. I can't see the Tigers landing a Longoria, Beltre, Wright. I hear Sandoval is available...but no thanks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you and until the dominoes start falling, it is pure speculation. His range is obviously poor and it appears the Tigers are trying to improve defensively. I guess I am still stuck on the thought that Ilitch doesn't want him because of the juicing.

You might be right on Mr. I being down on him. But he did come back and play right away. Maybe that was due to an attempt at winning at all costs (i imagine it was, eapecially with Miggy being hurt)more than forgiveness or acceptance. We have had our share or "probable" roiders in Detroit before though. He's an interesting FA given his track record as a solid hitter. Im just having a hard time seeing places where he'd be brought in to start at short or third. (Im also assuming that he'd rather play for a competitive team rather than a cellar dweller like Miami or Houston at this point in his career. He may be willing to follow the money or take any starting opportunity, idk)

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be other things but hes not wrong, he's right. Dirks is nothing but average despite what some spreadsheet says. (Raburn is a better leftfielder IMO).

NO he's not.. Dirks is above average defensively at LF it's a fact..

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valenti was saying to go after Beltran simply because Choo will demand a 5 or 6 year contract.. You think Beltran + Nathan would suffice?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO he's not.. Dirks is above average defensively at LF it's a fact..

Nope,.... he's not. Can't be anything more than average with an arm like his when you aren't blessed with blazing speed. Nothing exceptional to his defensive game what so ever. Hes the fourth best outfielder on his own team defensively.(he's at best the third best in the division behind Gordon and Brantley)If he were better than that he would be in the field when it matters most. There's nothing wrong with being an average outfielder though. Plenty of guys who have good arms or blazing speed are bad outfielders. (QBerry comes to mind)

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope,.... he's not. Can't be anything more than average with an arm like his when you aren't blessed with blazing speed. Nothing exceptional to his defensive game what so ever. Hes the fourth best outfielder on his own team defensively.(he's at best the third best in the division behind Gordon and Brantley)If he were better than that he would be in the field when it matters most. There's nothing wrong with being an average outfielder though. Plenty of guys who have good arms or blazing speed are bad outfielders. (QBerry comes to mind)

He's better than Hunter and any other OFer on the team not named Jackson.. Gordon doesn't have Driks' range and Brantley is overrated.. He's below average overall due to his bat and the fact that Corner OFer isn't a premium defensive position and he would be below average or average at CF, but he plays left very well.. RF is where you need a better arm anyways..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better than Hunter and any other OFer on the team not named Jackson.. Gordon doesn't have Driks' range and Brantley is overrated.. He's below average overall due to his bat and the fact that Corner OFer isn't a premium defensive position and he would be below average or average at CF, but he plays left very well.. RF is where you need a better arm anyways..

No, definitely isnt. You may have found a spreadaheet that says he made plays in his "zone" or whatever, but he doesnt prove the team defense by being out there. (Brantley is actually underrated defensively, Dirks is overrated, or atleast was this year in GG consideration and currently by you)You need a better arm than what he has at every outfield spot. If you want to be considered more than averge anyway. I don't think Dirks is bad, he's just nothing more than average. There is a reason he's in the dugout late in games during the pennant race and playoffs. (Jackson can be considered above average despite his poor arm because of his speed. But that arm will never allow him to be anywhere near elite defensively. Hunter, once upon a time was the complete package. No longer is)

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i dont know how mandy dirks was nominated for a GG.....he scares me out there. He reminds me of a high school player going after the ball....or jhonny damon 2.0

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well reports are that miggy is tore up after the trade of prince.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i dont know how mandy dirks was nominated for a GG.....he scares me out there. He reminds me of a high school player going after the ball....or jhonny damon 2.0

I held myself back from going with the Damon comparison. But yeah, I think so too. Or Brett Gardner without great speed. All three look they're really right handed when they throw.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then a suggestion for Miggy.....go check you bank account.

Tigers signed a bad contract with Fielder....he played OK....but in 2-3 years it would have been a killer. I congratulate DD for having the guts to pull the trigger. But I will admit....listening to Detroit fans, I wonder what happened to all the hate thrown Fielder's way a month ago? Tiger fans were screaming for his head....now some are unhappy that he is gone???? I guess they expected that Ilitch's checkbook was going to open wide and solve all the problems.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His innings don't warrant a GG, but he is clearly above average in LF.. If this were RF then I might agree due to his weak arm, but it isn't a factor.. This is why Mike trout was in LF this past season because he has a weak arm as well.. Are you going to say he's bad also Smitty? Just because the guy doesn't get Steals doesn't mean he doesn't have range.. See Jose Iglesius..

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also you seem to forget Brantley was converted to LF from CF.. He should be better than Dirks but last season he wasn't..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His innings don't warrant a GG, but he is clearly above average in LF.. If this were RF then I might agree due to his weak arm, but it isn't a factor.. This is why Mike trout was in LF this past season because he has a weak arm as well.. Are you going to say he's bad also Smitty? Just because the guy doesn't get Steals doesn't mean he doesn't have range.. See Jose Iglesius..

I haven't watched Trout enough to have an opinion. (He gets blowzies from tons of people for his defense though, which annoys the hell out of me)But zero outfield assists is pathetic. (His arm is right with Andys..... not good) I don't think Dirks has poor range by any means. Never have thought, "Wow! Only Andy Dirks would make that play!" though. He's average. That's fine. (I dont think hes slow because his SBs are low. Hes a solid baserunner, with decent wheels, nothing special but decent)I was cool with Maggs for years and he was average at best. (Well below prolly at the end)He didn't suck and played things cautiously and safely. Iggys quick, not sure if he'd be fast in the ourfield or not.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were talking about Dirk's last 3 years I would agree that he was average... I'm just trying to state that in 2013 he was great in LF.. I think Trout is overrated defensively also tbh, but he is still very above average due to his speed alone.. Both player's arms are garbage however, that much I agree..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also you seem to forget Brantley was converted to LF from CF.. He should be better than Dirks but last season he wasn't..

What? Why would it matter that he once was a centerfielder? He's capable of being a centerfielder. Dirks isn't. Brantley is a better defensive player, they both play left.... He's a better leftfielder. Gordon used to play third, Robin Yount was a shortstop,..... hell Im sure most high end outfielders were once shortstops. Willie Mays probably pitched and played short at one time. (He did). Dirks can be considered average in left, probably could be at first if he could hit with power enough to warrant that spot. That's it, the arm won't allow anything else.