• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATTENTION!

Now we all know that the 'Great Sage of Baseball" - Iffy, brought up the possibility of a Kinsler/Fielder trade a couple of weeks ago. Well, the Maestro will not sit on his laurels........

To fill the hole at 3B, consider Chase Headley of the Padres. An above average fielder, who suffered an offensive slump in 2013. He will be making a little over $10mil after arbitration and is a free agent after 2014. He has some pop and would fit nicely into the number 5 slot as a Tiger. The Padres have hinted that they want to resign him, but so far there have been no discussions that have been made public. What the Padres would want for him....I have no clue. He won't be cheap...the Yankees have wanted him before, as have the Angels. I would assume we'd be talking Porcello or maybe Castellanos, H. Perez, and/or other prospects. He'd be a great fit, I am just not sure Detroit could (or would be willing) to outbid/overpay for him.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATTENTION!

Now we all know that the 'Great Sage of Baseball" - Iffy, brought up the possibility of a Kinsler/Fielder trade a couple of weeks ago. Well, the Maestro will not sit on his laurels........

To fill the hole at 3B, consider Chase Headley of the Padres. An above average fielder, who suffered an offensive slump in 2013. He will be making a little over $10mil after arbitration and is a free agent after 2014. He has some pop and would fit nicely into the number 5 slot as a Tiger. The Padres have hinted that they want to resign him, but so far there have been no discussions that have been made public. What the Padres would want for him....I have no clue. He won't be cheap...the Yankees have wanted him before, as have the Angels. I would assume we'd be talking Porcello or maybe Castellanos, H. Perez, and/or other prospects. He'd be a great fit, I am just not sure Detroit could (or would be willing) to outbid/overpay for him.

For some reason ive never been a headly fan. Dont know why.....havent watched him too much, but when i did i wasnt impressed. He reminded me of kevin kouzmenoff(sp). I like your freese option better. Keeping nicky c......

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldve been better if we had gotten beltre lol.....then resigned infante.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they no longer have to trade max, (although Im not necessarily sold on signing him to a huge contract). They also can keep miggy a tiger for good, and they have the money to sign a player like choo, a couple of relievers and resign infante.

?? Laker, the Tigers gain $8 million per season in the Fielder/Infante swap. You mention (1) re-signing Scherzer, (2) an extension for Miggy, (3) signing Choo, (4/5) signing a couple relievers, (6) re-signing Infante who is coming off a .318 season. I think you're stretching $8 mill a BIT there.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I did just see that the Tigers don't pay Texas any of that $30 mill until 2016. That does free up more cash NOW.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peralta played 3B with Cleveland and I think Infante has played 3b as well.

I agree that Case Headley doesn't wow me. He earned good cash from one season and is going into FA next season?

Castellanos plays 3B or LF for Detroit next season, unless traded. His clock is ticking on team control and it helps keep cost down. I keep hearing Choo but I don't get that one at all. You let Fielder go in trade as a salary dump then sign a 100+ million dollar guy.

I think Dave D has 1 more trade up his sleeve. And I would not be surprised if it's Max. Porcello would benefit from a strong infield and cost less than half what Max will get in FA.

I do like the upgrades in speed though. Guys that fit Comerica Park.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?? Laker, the Tigers gain $8 million per season in the Fielder/Infante swap. You mention (1) re-signing Scherzer, (2) an extension for Miggy, (3) signing Choo, (4/5) signing a couple relievers, (6) re-signing Infante who is coming off a .318 season. I think you're stretching $8 mill a BIT there.

Agree.......A lot of Tiger fans have not noticed that Kinsler will be paid $16mil in 2014. In fact Texas pawned off Kinslers two highest paid years (2014-5) to the Tigers. As for freeing up much cash right now, the deal really doesn't ($8mil), so Tiger fans better limit their shopping list. Detroit will need to fill immediate holes through a trade, or two.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dave D has 1 more trade up his sleeve. And I would not be surprised if it's Max. Porcello would benefit from a strong infield and cost less than half what Max will get in FA.

Yep, I'd think that DD is not done making moves. Castellanos turns 22 in spring training next year, and I think he sets up more as a platoon player for 2014 -- likely in LF. Porcello will be only 25, and just had his best season since his rookie year. Max will turn 30 during the 2014 season, and likely had the best season we'll ever see. (Though I think he has more "good" years left.) I would not be surprised to see Max traded for a 3B and either an up-and-coming starter or an established relief pitcher.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castellanos plays 3B or LF for Detroit next season, unless traded. His clock is ticking on team control and it helps keep cost down. I keep hearing Choo but I don't get that one at all. You let Fielder go in trade as a salary dump then sign a 100+ million dollar guy.

Can't agree more. Choo would be an ideal #1 or #2 hitter (.389 career OBP), but the Tigers are not going to cough up 5-6 years at about $18-$20 mill per season, which appears to be Choo's asking price. Not when they have Castellanos on the cheap for a while.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heres my issue.....people keep talking about the speed we added.....kinslers faster than fielder....true....but he replaces infante....its an upgrade but not huge....my point is.....why wont teams walk miggy? Our cleanup hitter has 10-15 HR power.......hes either gonna single or hit into a DP......and if he singles.....then our bottom half of the lineup will be coming up. And miggys not going first to 3rd on a single......after our first 4 batters the lineup is no longer dangerous. Avila nicky c ajax and iggy are hardly gonna scare teams......i guess people forgot how many times this team was SO or scored a run....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much my main issue is having a 35 yr old cleanup hitter, who has a combined 26 HR's in his last 2 yrs played........and is slow as a turtle......now tell me.....as an opposing manager.....why would you not pitch around miggy every AB? Miggy wont ever see any good pitches.....before he had fielder, vmart and peralta behind him.....now?

Miggy will struggle to get 100 RBI's

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heres my issue.....people keep talking about the speed we added.....kinslers faster than fielder....true....but he replaces infante....its an upgrade but not huge....my point is.....why wont teams walk miggy? Our cleanup hitter has 10-15 HR power.......hes either gonna single or hit into a DP......and if he singles.....then our bottom half of the lineup will be coming up. And miggys not going first to 3rd on a single......after our first 4 batters the lineup is no longer dangerous. Avila nicky c ajax and iggy are hardly gonna scare teams......i guess people forgot how many times this team was SO or scored a run....

Not only is Kinsler faster, but more importantly he is just a smarter baserunner. I agree that this trade isnt a huge overall upgrade but the extra dollars will be spent elsewhere. If Miggy isn't completely healthy, he might be better suited hitting cleanup. I think it is possible that Nick C could end up in the three spot if he lives up to expectations. If DD doesn't think that, he should be marketed.

You mention the shutouts but if you have speed in your lineup like Kinsler, AJ, and Iggy batting consecutively, shutouts are less likely to occur.

I think DD is a long way from being done making moves. This might be the headliner but it opens up avenues.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen this on another thread.....the cons for detroit...

"Kinsler hasn't been been nearly the player for the last 2 years that he was for his first 6 years
the Tigers lineup suddenly doesn't look so intimidating
Miggy had 54 IBB combined in 2010 and 2011 before Fielder, and 36 when Fielder joined the team the last 2 seasons. Expect Miggy to be pitched around more.
the Tigers are effectively paying Kinsler $92mm over the next 4 years, when you factor the $62mm left on Kinsler's contract and the $30mm Detroit gave to Texas"

Notice the tigers lineup doesnt look so intimidating part.....this was from a red sox fan

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much my main issue is having a 35 yr old cleanup hitter, who has a combined 26 HR's in his last 2 yrs played........and is slow as a turtle......now tell me.....as an opposing manager.....why would you not pitch around miggy every AB? Miggy wont ever see any good pitches.....before he had fielder, vmart and peralta behind him.....now?

The key is to get guys on base in front of Miggy. VMart is capable of hitting for a high average from either side of the plate. teams won't pitch around Miggy with a consistent .310 hitter with some power coming up behind him. If healthy, Miggy won't struggle getting his RBI's. If you feel that way, there is no way you should feel he was teh MVP this year. Fielder didn't help him 50%

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key is to get guys on base in front of Miggy. VMart is capable of hitting for a high average from either side of the plate. teams won't pitch around Miggy with a consistent .310 hitter with some power coming up behind him. If healthy, Miggy won't struggle getting his RBI's. If you feel that way, there is no way you should feel he was teh MVP this year. Fielder didn't help him 50%

Why was he IBB more before fielder got there then?

And what makes people think kinsler will get on base any better than ajax? Hunter will still be number 2

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Notice his 2 great MVP years he had prince batting behind him.....now you walk him...victor wont make anyone pay with a HR....so he singles...miggy goes to 2nd.....then the crap we have coming up will fail.....better find a decent number 5 hitter.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice his 2 great MVP years he had prince batting behind him.....now you walk him...victor wont make anyone pay with a HR....so he singles...miggy goes to 2nd.....then the crap we have coming up will fail.....better find a decent number 5 hitter.

His power numbers were slightly higher the two years of Prince but we sacrificed in the field to get that. There is a reason Miggy doesn't lead off. His skills aren't optimized without runners on. No one questions that. If Kins and AJ hit .290, the Tigers overall production will increase and be more consistency. Miggy's IBB's will also likely go through the roof.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The same reason they don't pitch around Trout every at bat, or Votto, C. Davis, Goldschmidt, Cano, etc. Yes, Miggy will have a tougher time in 2014 unless VMart hits like he did in the second half, all season long. Look....the Tigers struggled on offense, for short periods, last year. But like every team...you hope that one or two of your guys play over their heads. What they had - wasn't working that well...so add some speed to the lineup and maybe you score more times with a double and a single. I am tired of station to station baseball and Miggy, Fielder, VMart, Peralta, and Avila chugging around the bases like Rush Limbaugh chasing Michael Moore and Fat Albert.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your acting like the tigers got elsbury......compare ajax and kinsler the las 2 yrs....

Kinsler

2012. 256 avg. 326. OBP. 19 HR. 21 SB's. 60 BB
2013. 277. 344. 13. 15. 51

Ajax

2012. 300 avg. 377 OBP. 16 HR. 12 SB's. 67 BB
2013. 272. 337. 12. 8. 52

Not much of an upgrade to get on base in my eyes........kinslers avg hasnt been good since 08.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His power numbers were slightly higher the two years of Prince but we sacrificed in the field to get that. There is a reason Miggy doesn't lead off. His skills aren't optimized without runners on. No one questions that. If Kins and AJ hit .290, the Tigers overall production will increase and be more consistency. Miggy's IBB's will also likely go through the roof.

Sacrificed what? We went to the WS and the ALCS. and won division titles both times. Why will kinsler hit 290? I think he only hit 290 or better once....in 08