• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that knows anything about statistics knows that a 20% observation subset is more than enough to extrapolate data accurately.

I rooted for Detroit and wore the gear proudly. I thought the Tiger's pitching was outstanding.

I grew up in Warren and have always been a fan of the Tigers but I am not a fan of the way this team was built. They are poorly set up for their ballpark and poorly built for the playoffs.

So this team has won their first 3 central division titles and played in 3 ALCS, but YOU dont like the way they were put together......something tells me you werent a tiger fan in the randy smith days.....we had players who could play defense.....too bad they were losing 100 games.....wonder what your idea of a team put together is.....

Remember the 84 team? Larry herndon wasnt the greatest LF defensively, gibson was awful, darrell evans wasnt a great defensive 1B....hell even chet lemon and his huge glove looked bad sometimes......remember marty castillo manning the hot corner with brookens? ......brookens was solid but couldnt hit....castillo was just awful......every team is going to have flaws.......we got one more year of vmart dh'ing

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy tells ESPN deportes he wants to finish career in the city of detroit....

"The money is less important in this case," Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com. "What we want is to win a championship in Detroit. Hopefully David Dombrowski, the new manager and all of us work to win the championship we so desire."

Sounds good....wish detroit couldve signed javier lopez.....him and nathan wouldve been nice additions.......need some LH BP help.

I don't know what else Cabrera could have said. I am sure his answers were coached by his agent. He sure couldn't say the opposite. Players have learned how to play the media game....but when one says "the money is less important"...I have to laugh.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show of hands in here....

How many of you guys seen miggy play more than 27 games?

Who thinks to say someone is the worst 3B defensively in the league while only seeing him play 27 games is crazy?

Who thinks someone that apologizes to other fans about miggy for being so bad defensively has issues?

Wonder who he rooted for when detroit and oakland played, since he loves beane and moneyball, but hates everything tiger related....hates miggy.....hates prince....hates vmart.....but loves some mike trout...

cleaves....can I ask a serious question? You bring up watching games all the time....but what qualifications do you have to evaluate players (Miggys defensive play, in this instance)? Sorry, but your visual evaluation is worth nothing to me....I have no idea what you are basing your evaluation on. In short, what is good or bad defense to you - probably does not translate for everyone. You don't like fielding stats. OK. But I may not agree with your eyeballing review of a player either. Not bashing you here...just observing.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jalopy...I agree with you on the Tigers team not being built for their park and I also dislike the lack of emphasis on speed and defense. However, as being built for playoff....actually their starting pitching depth gives them an edge there. Of course having no bullpen and streaky hitters detracts from that.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jalopy...I agree with you on the Tigers team not being built for their park and I also dislike the lack of emphasis on speed and defense. However, as being built for playoff....actually their starting pitching depth gives them an edge there. Of course having no bullpen and streaky hitters detracts from that.

The bullpen woes completely offset the strength of the starting pitching. It allows teams the luxury of making the starters go deep into counts to get pitch counts high. Teams know that strikeout pitchers don't finish games but Tiger pitchers are scared to death of what happens once a ball is put in play.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this team has won their first 3 central division titles and played in 3 ALCS, but YOU dont like the way they were put together......something tells me you werent a tiger fan in the randy smith days.....we had players who could play defense.....too bad they were losing 100 games.....wonder what your idea of a team put together is.....

Remember the 84 team? Larry herndon wasnt the greatest LF defensively, gibson was awful, darrell evans wasnt a great defensive 1B....hell even chet lemon and his huge glove looked bad sometimes......remember marty castillo manning the hot corner with brookens? ......brookens was solid but couldnt hit....castillo was just awful......every team is going to have flaws.......we got one more year of vmart dh'ing

The Tigers won the first two of those titles while going .500 against non-division teams. I think last year they were 6 games over. That tells me that they are essentially an average team in a very bad division.

You mention the 80's teams but forgot to mention how strong they were up the middle, the crux of any defense. Your point of them being primarily an offensive team is taken and accepted.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers won the first two of those titles while going .500 against non-division teams. I think last year they were 6 games over. That tells me that they are essentially an average team in a very bad division.

You mention the 80's teams but forgot to mention how strong they were up the middle, the crux of any defense. Your point of them being primarily an offensive team is taken and accepted.

The tigers werent bad up the middle.....Austin jackson is better than lemon....iggy is better than tram.....lou is better than infante......so that blows that up. Gibson had one of the worst RF arms i ever seen....and hes my fav tiger of all time....he used to 3 hop the ball to 2B.....

So they won the first 2 titles going 500? but what about this year? 6 games overs not too shabby anyways....not alot of teams go out on the west coast and do well.....not alot of people play the yanks and sox tough.....it doesnt matter.....they won the division.....something they had NEVER done....wins are wins regardless.......just look at your love toy mike trout, he couldnt even make the playoffs in the weakest al division this year.....they get to play the astros and mariners 19 times each. Tigers won a division this year with the injuns and royals being pretty good.

Just want to know......what tiger team did you like?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cleaves....can I ask a serious question? You bring up watching games all the time....but what qualifications do you have to evaluate players (Miggys defensive play, in this instance)? Sorry, but your visual evaluation is worth nothing to me....I have no idea what you are basing your evaluation on. In short, what is good or bad defense to you - probably does not translate for everyone. You don't like fielding stats. OK. But I may not agree with your eyeballing review of a player either. Not bashing you here...just observing.

Ive never said miggys defense is great....its avg to below avg....all im saying is most people that critisize him never watch him play on a daily basis.....he made some great plays this year....he looked bad once the injury hit ill admit. I just dont think the hot corner needs alot of range. The ball is there so quick....not like SS where you need to go into the hole or up the middle....thats range.....when i played.....i played 3B and 1B since i was a big guy.....i never thought there was a difference in fielding the 2 positions......if your at 1st and a bunch of LH Hitters are up...its just like playing 3rd with a RH hitter up....only difference is at 3rd making a throw and first covering a base.....i actually had more errors playing first then 3rd and i played about the same amount at both.....baseball wasnt my greatest sport tho....couldnt hit a curve....but i was the best 6'5 bloop hitting single guy around....guys would back up to the fence and id doink it into shallow left lol.

All im saying is trouts defense, if you want to go by numbers instead of an eye test, were not amazing. Not enough to make miggy not win MVP

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And i actually think this team IS built for the playoffs....great starting pitching.....great hitters......but all year i said its a crap shoot to win a WS.....whoever gets hot.....because the last 2 years the giants and cards were hardly the best team......just makes me wonder if the tigers hadnt blown that 5-0 lead in game 2 if we would be having this talk....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what else Cabrera could have said. I am sure his answers were coached by his agent. He sure couldn't say the opposite. Players have learned how to play the media game....but when one says "the money is less important"...I have to laugh.

Cano sure didnt say money wasnt an issue...

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With A-Rod stomping out of his hearing today....I just wonder if MLB (read Yankees) are over-playing this. Wouldn't it be better to sit down with A-Rod and work out a financial settlement to end his time with NY? The owe him a little over $89mil. Work something out so A-Rod accepts a 100 game suspension and then work out a way for the Yankees to pay him his $89mil (minus the pay lost during his suspension) over a longer period than the 4 years remaining on the original contract. A-Rod would become a free agent immediately and could sign with anyone - and any money he makes (in the next 4 years) would be subtracted from what the Yankees owed him. He could screw the Yankees by accepting minimum salary, if he wanted too. Yankees took a risk and it backfired.....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to know......what tiger team did you like?

I think my favorite period of Tiger baseball was down the stretch in '83 when the Tigers were trying to catch the Orioles. It seemed to me that the only games either team lost was to each other in September. I think they finished 5 games back or so but won over 90 games. If you remember that team, Morris and Petry were both pitching well and Senor Smoke was a worthy closer. Whitaker and Trammell were the spark plugs and Gibson, Parrish and Herndon did a lot of cleaning up. Defensively, Whitaker and and Tram were as sure-handed as they come and Lemon was an above average fielder. I was never a big fan of Parrish although he was an adequate Catcher. Just a little too one dimensional for me. Of course their failed stretch run motivated them and got them off to a hot start in '84. I think the best memories of those teams was the fire they played with.

I sure do miss Tiger Stadium.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting move from DD today. Replaced all the open positions (except one) left from the FA by placing the following minor league players on the 40 man. left-hander Kyle Lobstein, right-handers Justin Miller and Jose Valdez, first baseman Jordan Lennerton, shortstop Eugenio Suarez, center fielder Daniel Fields and right fielder Steven Moya .
That means there is room for one signee on the 40 man. probably a closer. Of course they still have 2 spots (kelly and Coke) that they could non tender. Doesn't sound like the team is looking to sign much this off season.

Interesting that Fields is on the 40 man. Is today the deadline to protect for the Rule 5 draft? I'd be surprised if 4-5 of the currently rostered guys are still around come ST.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy No More Raburn Day, Tigers Fans!!!

One of the reasons that I knew Francona was going to be successful in Cleveland....he asked his GM to sign Raburn, because he knew the guy had something left in his tank. When a local reporter asked Francona how he knew Raburn could contribute, he answered, "I just read the Tiger's board on Sportshoopla and do the opposite."
:clap:

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that Fields is on the 40 man. Is today the deadline to protect for the Rule 5 draft? I'd be surprised if 4-5 of the currently rostered guys are still around come ST.
not sure if today is the deadline. But most if not all the moves were made for rule 5 protection.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well reports are the Tigers and Rangers are discussing a prince for Kinsler deal. Roadblocks are the $$. Kinsler only owed around 80 Mil compared to the huge amount prince is due. Also unknown is if prince has texas as one of his 10 teams he can block a trade to. If I was prince I would jump at the chance to move to texas. No State taxes and a jet stream blowing out to right. he would probably gain around 10-15 HR a season.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Iffy predict that trade a few weeks ago? The guy IS a genius. lol

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Joe Nathan and a solid 3B prospect with that deal...