• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deron Williams had some choice words for Kobe....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he is 100% right

Kobe comment on Williams playoffs performance vs Miami

"In a feature with Sports Illustrated over the summer, Bryant referenced Deron Williams's 0-9 game against the Miami Heat in Game 2 of the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, the worst shooting performance of Williams's career. Bryant said Williams, who dealt with ankle injuries all of last season, "psyched himself out". "‘I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9," Bryant said. "0-9 means you beat yourself, you psyched yourself out of the game, because Deron Williams can get more shots in the game. The only reason is because you've just now lost confidence in yourself.’"

Williams response"

"I'm a point guard," Williams said about adopting Bryant's mentality. "If I'm 0-for-fucking-9, I'm not shooting 20 more shots. Not going to happen. I'm a point guard. I'm going to find somebody else. Kobe Bryant, that's what he's supposed to do. He's got that mentality. That works for him, I got my mentality, it works for me."

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more. I'm not a big fan of Williams, but he is right; He's a PG, it's his job to set up the offense primarily. Not every player is the same and Kobe should realize that.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not act like all PG's are the same. I would give D Will a pass if he was a pass first player, but he is a scoring PG. He takes a lot of shots. Therefore, he should do more of trying to get out the shooting slump, while still getting others involved.

Now, if it was helping the team with him not shooting, then he is right.

Basically, it depends on the situations of that game, but being a PG don't mean anything.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He avg 11 shots per game last year & 14 the previous year

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just Kobe being Kobe:noidea:.

Not saying he's right or wrong.

But, these type of statements are par for the course with him.

Not sure why Williams would really give a damn. But, I guess players are sensitive.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he is 100% right

"In a feature with Sports Illustrated over the summer, Bryant referenced Deron Williams's 0-9 game against the Miami Heat in Game 2 of the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, the worst shooting performance of Williams's career. Bryant said Williams, who dealt with ankle injuries all of last season, "psyched himself out". "‘I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9," Bryant said. "0-9 means you beat yourself, you psyched yourself out of the game, because Deron Williams can get more shots in the game. The only reason is because you've just now lost confidence in yourself.’"

Williams response"

"I'm a point guard," Williams said about adopting Bryant's mentality. "If I'm 0-for-fucking-9, I'm not shooting 20 more shots. Not going to happen. I'm a point guard. I'm going to find somebody else. Kobe Bryant, that's what he's supposed to do. He's got that mentality. That works for him, I got my mentality, it works for me."

Pretty much sums up exactly what Kobe said. He lost confidence and psyched himself out. Williams admits as much. Now, I have no problem with his response - probably the smart thing to do.

In other words - they are both right.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Hizzle, they are both essentially right. As a point guard, Williams primary job is to set the other guys up. If his shot is off, it just means he needs to look for his shot even less and compensate by getting more assists.

As an SG, Kobe kind of has to keep shooting because that's his primary role on the team. So their different roles definitely play a part. However, he is correct in that the reason that Williams would stop shooting altogether and concentrate solely on setting up his teammates is because he didn't have the confidence that his shot was going to start falling.

After all, would he have stopped shooting if he started of 5-9? Somehow, I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different positions, different roles. Not sure why Kobe chimed in, but :noidea:

Didn't see the article, but my guess would be that Kobe was either asked directly about it or was asked a question and used that as an example. If it was the former; Oh well, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. If it's the latter, he may have been better served to use a hypothetical rather than actually naming another player.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different positions, different roles. Not sure why Kobe chimed in, but :noidea:

I think it's from the his upcoming Showtime documentary.

Not sure I'd call Deron's response 'choice words'.

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Will has been a combo guard since he came out of college -- a TRUE PG he's not as he was a scorer mostly with the Jazz. Can't take the heat get the hell out of the kitchen....

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he is 100% right

Williams response"

On the other hand - Kobe's attitude is the reason he is five time NBA champion and two time gold medalist winner in the international Olympics in comparison to Williams Zero:lol: