• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Demaryius Watch

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really went down to the wire, as negotiations do often do. Seems like Dallas signing Bryant only a few minutes earlier played a prominent role in getting a deal with DT done.
Interesting too, how very similar the contracts are.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Hard to think that price fixing is much of an issue at prices that high!
And we all know discussions are taking place behind the scenes regardless.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard they were represented by the same agency. So kinda hard to prove collusion against the teams at least....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting too, how very similar the contracts are.

Pretty much from day 1 most thought these two would get very similar contracts. They have put up almost identical numbers since coming into the league so it makes sense then for them to get almost identical contracts. Also I think most thought that once one went the other wouldn't be too far behind so I don't think this shows collusion in any way but more one team just waiting for the other to get the ball rolling and the other to then jump in. They contracts look very fair for what they have done on the field. Still need to see the fine print of the contract though as the truth is in the details. I would say with what I have heard ignore the last two years of the contract and look at it more as a 3-year deal with about $35 million guaranteed in those years. My guess is the last two years stand a good chance of being voided and will be where the big cap hit number will be while the first few will be more in line with around that $12-13 million.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad this is done. Instead of having to worry about signing both DT and Von next year now all focus can turn to Von. As I said above can't wait to see the details as really can't judge this contract until we see the cap hits and how much is actually guaranteed.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad this is done. Instead of having to worry about signing both DT and Von next year now all focus can turn to Von. As I said above can't wait to see the details as really can't judge this contract until we see the cap hits and how much is actually guaranteed.
Houston's contract could make Miller pretty expensive....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston's contract could make Miller pretty expensive....

Still need to see the details of that contract before I panic too much. I had thought that Von Miller would cost about $16 million a year to keep and Houston's is about in line with that. I think his is a little more than $16 million a year. Again though it is more about the guarantees and signing bonus than the overall number. Such as there are plenty of contracts in the NFL that say 5-year $100 million contract but are really closer to 3-year say $55 million. That is just an example. The last two years for the most part become voidable by the team with very little dead money. It keeps the Cap Numbers low the first few years or at least reasonable while still having the player look good for signing such a huge contract.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also with signing DT before deadline gives Denver the option now to franchise Miller if they so desire.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now we have that excruciating couple wks before camp starts. ARGH! :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now we have that excruciating couple wks before camp starts. ARGH! :)

Couldn't agree more! Hate this time of year. Not a big time baseball fan (at least not at this time of year) and all other sports are shut down. This is the most boring time of year in sports. Heck I think they said that today is the one day of the year where there is not a major sports game played.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more! Hate this time of year. Not a big time baseball fan (at least not at this time of year) and all other sports are shut down. This is the most boring time of year in sports. Heck I think they said that today is the one day of the year where there is not a major sports game played.
That is the shortest post I have ever seen you post. We need football.......

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How DT's new contract affects our cap going forward is obviously an important issue, particularly with Miller in the last year of his deal. I found this article in which Elway talks in pretty generic terms about that: John Elway: 'Fair deal' for team, Thomas came together on deadline day

Excerpt:
"Thomas wasn't the first of this wave of homegrown Broncos to receive a new contract, following in the footsteps of cornerback Chris Harris Jr. last December. He also won't be the last, with a slew of expiring contracts lurking over the horizon for next winter, a group led by pending unrestricted free agents Von Miller, Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan and projected restricted free agent C.J. Anderson.

"We're prepared for all those," Elway said. "I think that's what it comes down to, when we look at what the value is for the Broncos, what we can afford and how we can fit it in the structure and how that fits into our football team. All of those things will go into consideration when we determine what we're going to pay somebody."

Elway said the team has plans for three and four years down the line to fit the players they want to retain within their salary-cap budget.

"We're well aware of what we have coming up. We have a lot of good football players coming up. Demaryius is a big part of that, and that's why he's the first part of trying to keep this football team together."

Added Elway later: "DT was the first step, and we'll have a plan for Von next year as well as other players. We've got a couple of other really good football players that are also coming into their last year, and we'll try to hold onto as many as we can. Obviously it's impossible to hold on to everyone in the salary-cap era, but we're going to do our best to keep them all.""

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the shortest post I have ever seen you post. We need football.......

Haha it is true football cannot come fast enough. Losing my edge here.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How DT's new contract affects our cap going forward is obviously an important issue, particularly with Miller in the last year of his deal. I found this article in which Elway talks in pretty generic terms about that: John Elway: 'Fair deal' for team, Thomas came together on deadline day

Excerpt:
"Thomas wasn't the first of this wave of homegrown Broncos to receive a new contract, following in the footsteps of cornerback Chris Harris Jr. last December. He also won't be the last, with a slew of expiring contracts lurking over the horizon for next winter, a group led by pending unrestricted free agents Von Miller, Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan and projected restricted free agent C.J. Anderson.

"We're prepared for all those," Elway said. "I think that's what it comes down to, when we look at what the value is for the Broncos, what we can afford and how we can fit it in the structure and how that fits into our football team. All of those things will go into consideration when we determine what we're going to pay somebody."

Elway said the team has plans for three and four years down the line to fit the players they want to retain within their salary-cap budget.

"We're well aware of what we have coming up. We have a lot of good football players coming up. Demaryius is a big part of that, and that's why he's the first part of trying to keep this football team together."

Added Elway later: "DT was the first step, and we'll have a plan for Von next year as well as other players. We've got a couple of other really good football players that are also coming into their last year, and we'll try to hold onto as many as we can. Obviously it's impossible to hold on to everyone in the salary-cap era, but we're going to do our best to keep them all.""

Great read there TD. This is what I was telling a Patriot fan on the General Board earlier of teams know the players they have and have usually a 3-year plan when it comes to the Salary Cap. My guess is Elway also has a certain budget set up for every position group. I'm guessing he spent a little more on the WR position than he wanted but we also have one of the best in the league. We are also pretty cheap at some other positions such as the OL only has one player with a decent size contract making it possible to spend at the WR position.

The other part of that equation is understanding the salaries that are coming off the books in that 3-year span. Right now there is a small chance that 4 of our top 5 salaries for next season at least Cap Wise will no longer be on the team. There is a very good chance at least 2 of those 4 for sure are gone in Peyton and Clady. That right there pays for keeping both Von and DT. Essentially after this season that is what we will have done is substitute our young talent for our old talent. The year after that or maybe even this next year then Ware comes off the books opening up another spot to sign a high priced player whoever that may be. It goes in cycles.

As for the DT contract itself it is very much in line with what Elway loves to do. He likes to not be committed to a player beyond 2-years. DT is probably closer to 3-years as it is a little more than Elway usually hands out in upfront money but he has proven to be a very durable player with no off the field issues. So essentially the Broncos are locked in for 3-years. Beyond that if DT hasn't lived up to the contract, or injuries, ect. then the team can move on.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like the contract is pretty friendly as it lays out too

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great read there TD. This is what I was telling a Patriot fan on the General Board earlier of teams know the players they have and have usually a 3-year plan when it comes to the Salary Cap. My guess is Elway also has a certain budget set up for every position group. I'm guessing he spent a little more on the WR position than he wanted but we also have one of the best in the league. We are also pretty cheap at some other positions such as the OL only has one player with a decent size contract making it possible to spend at the WR position.

The other part of that equation is understanding the salaries that are coming off the books in that 3-year span. Right now there is a small chance that 4 of our top 5 salaries for next season at least Cap Wise will no longer be on the team. There is a very good chance at least 2 of those 4 for sure are gone in Peyton and Clady. That right there pays for keeping both Von and DT. Essentially after this season that is what we will have done is substitute our young talent for our old talent. The year after that or maybe even this next year then Ware comes off the books opening up another spot to sign a high priced player whoever that may be. It goes in cycles.

As for the DT contract itself it is very much in line with what Elway loves to do. He likes to not be committed to a player beyond 2-years. DT is probably closer to 3-years as it is a little more than Elway usually hands out in upfront money but he has proven to be a very durable player with no off the field issues. So essentially the Broncos are locked in for 3-years. Beyond that if DT hasn't lived up to the contract, or injuries, ect. then the team can move on.
One thing we have learned about potters: our team is always right and your team is always wrong......

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we can sign Von next year I'll be ok.