• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense is elite

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pixels, I don't disagree with anything you said but I wasn't referring to that SB. You're correct that it was the offense in that SB BUT that said, if we had the '85 Bears defense we would have won that game.

I really tho, was just imagining out loud how fucking good that team would be. That's ok though 'cause I've seen enough close-ups of Mike Singletary's eyes for a fucking lifetime! Remember that overkill?

briz more cracks me up with his elite stuff. I don't see anything to be annoyed about.

...and lastly, this forum kicks ass. Y'all are a fun read and most visitors don't come to troll.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not at all silly, it's actually a good measure as it touches on multiple aspects of the defense. And I did not make or create what was to be measured.

And several supporting don't act as if you were unaware of that. Although I suspect you will, you come off as one of those Pats fans I loathe the most.

Average yards a game has some value. Total yards does not. Points per game is better than either.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would be an elite def if BB would stop fucking up these drafts. This def should be much better if we drafted the right talent. Are S issue should have been done last yr, or at least this yr....NOPE....I can't talk it anymore....heading for the ledge!!

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not at all silly, it's actually a good measure as it touches on multiple aspects of the defense. And I did not make or create what was to be measured.

And several supporting don't act as if you were unaware of that. Although I suspect you will, you come off as one of those Pats fans I loathe the most.

Here's why the stat you're quoting is useless.

The Patriots rank #32 in that stat. By the time they play their next game, the Patriots will rank approximately #10 (could be a bit lower, could be a bit higher) in that stat.

Are we seriously supposed to care about a stat where they'll go from last place to top half without even playing a game?

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is far from elite as many pats fans realize and offense is a thing of the pats. Trading away your best receiver to my now completely loaded broncos was plain stupid ... not hating on u just wonder how u all are so admired by your bull headed coach bb. Amendola is always hurt and will always continue to be hurt here and there. Brady isnt getting any younger and I can see why he is so pissed all the time. h will make the playoffs though if that helps but the power has switched to the obvious. Even with von miller out we get ohillips who had 2.5 sacks in game one.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't trade him. But Wes was no longer patriot material.

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is far from elite as many pats fans realize and offense is a thing of the pats. Trading away your best receiver to my now completely loaded broncos was plain stupid ... not hating on u just wonder how u all are so admired by your bull headed coach bb. Amendola is always hurt and will always continue to be hurt here and there. Brady isnt getting any younger and I can see why he is so pissed all the time. h will make the playoffs though if that helps but the power has switched to the obvious. Even with von miller out we get ohillips who had 2.5 sacks in game one.

Comments from a Denver fan. enjoy your 1 and done again this year, and do not count on any important game meaning catches from Welker.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You still don't understand the simple concept of using an average when there is an uneven amount of games?

Yeah I get that, nowhere did I indicate I did not. So look at week one too.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's why the stat you're quoting is useless.

The Patriots rank #32 in that stat. By the time they play their next game, the Patriots will rank approximately #10 (could be a bit lower, could be a bit higher) in that stat.

Are we seriously supposed to care about a stat where they'll go from last place to top half without even playing a game?

Jesus H. Christ did you look at the stats. YPG, P YPG, R YPG, PTs per game. Do you realize they are using multiple facets to make a determination.

But let's just pretend for a minute that you are correct, and we end up 10 or lower, how the hell is that elite?

Someone please explain how 10 or lower is elite.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to my now completely loaded broncos was plain stupid

grm rpr, since you bring up "plain stupid," it reminds me of letting Jacoby/Flacco send you clowns packing in a playoff game that was WON....OVER....FINISHED. That was the biggest example of plain stupid in recent memory and Welker ain't gonna get you past that.

This Pats team will grow significantly this year. Whether it's enough to make an impact in the playoffs remains to be seen but remember, the '07 Giants went 0-2 to start and none of their fans said hey man, we have Eli and David Tyree, we'll be just fine.

This is the NFL and it's one long footrace to January~

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus H. Christ did you look at the stats. YPG, P YPG, R YPG, PTs per game. Do you realize they are using multiple facets to make a determination.

But let's just pretend for a minute that you are correct, and we end up 10 or lower, how the hell is that elite?

If they were first in ppg I wouldn't care if they were last in ypg. I wouldn't swap them for anyone.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were first in ppg I wouldn't care if they were last in ypg. I wouldn't swap them for anyone.

Okay but still the fact is they use multiple stats to gauge TOTAL TEAM DEFENSE not sure how or rather why this is being ignored.

Here is the bottom line and it's not debatable, this is not an ELITE defense, period. If it were we wouldn't be talking about them being in the top 10 or slightly under, or trying to justify it by picking a single stat on which to try and make a point. This is a good defense, by years end potentially great, but to be considered elite there really isn't a lot of room for doubt.

That will be my last point, it's hard to debate with homers, incapable of rational thought.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has agreed with that.

Yards per game, ppg, and takeaways are the best way to look at a defense. The patriots were solid in two of those last year, and should be solid again. If they get the yards down some they will be a defense we can trust down the stretch, and I think that potential is there.

This team has a lot of room for improvement on both sides of the ball, but there is a lot of young talent with a lot of potential, as well.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're wrong about the stats. The list you were looking at was literally sorted by yards per game. It wasn't any sophisticated determination at all. For what it's worth, here's where they rank in key defensive categories right now:
Yards Per Game: 11th
Points Per Game: 7th
Turnovers/Game: Tie-1st
Passing Yards Per Game: 6th
Defensive Passer Rating: 3rd
Rushing Yards Per Game: 28th
Rushing Yards Per Attempt: Tie-21st
Sacks Per Game: Tie-16th
Defensive 3rd Down Percentage: 3rd

You're right about not being elite. They have played like a very good defense so far - against two questionable (in the Jets case, 'questionable' is being generous!) offenses - but not an elite one. We'll learn a lot about them over the next four weeks.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love pats fans... they get so worked up lol... enjoy amendola whenever he returns and the future hall of famer edelman... I will take thomas. Decker. Welker. And Julius thomas all day... hell welker has already given us 3 tds this year and he makes it so u cant double up on thomas... but u want to look at one playoff game from LAST year instead of what u bring to the table THIS year. U have snuck by 2 terrible teams while we have completely destroyed two teams that others dont look forward to facing even wo bailey and miller.... hey like I said not hating u guys have been a force for years... I am simply responding to the elite defense post that was posted when put up against the nfls worst teams. At least I give credit when it is due... pats fans wont do that. Weljer and his 118 catches is not patriots material.. I guess moss and lloyd werent either. Now u have beasts as receivers. What a joke

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welker is old and you'll only enjoy him for a year or two. shoot manning might retire after the season. ravens defense is absolute trash and the giants are a joke and you're talking smack about the yets and bills? lool

denver fans are so dellusional manning will fold in the playoffs like he always does. hes setting the record for most one and dones.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Welker is old but the Patriots should have kept him instead of saving a couple of million on a guy who might be injured all the time. Patriots offense would be a lot better off right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love pats fans... they get so worked up lol... enjoy amendola whenever he returns and the future hall of famer edelman... I will take thomas. Decker. Welker. And Julius thomas all day... hell welker has already given us 3 tds this year and he makes it so u cant double up on thomas... but u want to look at one playoff game from LAST year instead of what u bring to the table THIS year. U have snuck by 2 terrible teams while we have completely destroyed two teams that others dont look forward to facing even wo bailey and miller.... hey like I said not hating u guys have been a force for years... I am simply responding to the elite defense post that was posted when put up against the nfls worst teams. At least I give credit when it is due... pats fans wont do that. Weljer and his 118 catches is not patriots material.. I guess moss and lloyd werent either. Now u have beasts as receivers. What a joke

He wasn't willing to play the role we needed him to. You are not bigger than the team.

If the other guys you mentioned were right for this team they would be here.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tired of the Welker thing.

Regarding that total defense stat, you remember how we ranked #32 in total defense two days ago? Today we rank #10 overall. By tomorrow we should rank #8 or #9.

Without playing a game, we jumped from last to top 10, precisely as I predicted. Should tell you what that stat is worth.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tired of the Welker thing.

Regarding that total defense stat, you remember how we ranked #32 in total defense two days ago? Today we rank #10 overall. By tomorrow we should rank #8 or #9.

Without playing a game, we jumped from last to top 10, precisely as I predicted. Should tell you what that stat is worth.

Is it worth calling it an elite defense? I knew when I posted it we had played one more game it was originally meant to be taken in jest but as usualt post 2000 Pats fans went of the deep end, which I why I hate Pats fans. And again # 10 overall #8 or #9 is hardly elie, but if that helps you and others sleep at night have it.

So quick question for the sake of comparison where do the Bills and Jets total offense rank?