• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Death Penalty For the New England Patriots

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way Hammer, I wont be losing sleep over it. I'm not naive and think everyone is on the up and up. I did my crimes and did my times. Locked up with some of the worst of the worst that make Hernadez look like an alter boy. If Belichick did something wrong, I have no problem with team getting punished, but why shit over Brady or any other players

The balls weren't deflated so that BB had company in the droopy department.

If they were indeed done on purpose there is zero chance Brady wasn't aware of it and actually in on it.

I mean it was only discovered after a pick in which the guy who grabbed it said the ball was squishy and turned it in.

There is ZERO chance Brady and his receivers didn't notice them. They knew full well.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they were indeed done on purpose there is zero chance Brady wasn't aware of it and actually in on it.

I mean it was only discovered after a pick in which the guy who grabbed it said the ball was squishy and turned it in.

There is ZERO chance Brady and his receivers didn't notice them. They knew full well.

and the NFL officials?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first media week I'm actually looking forward to.

Hi Bill....Amesh Medha from the Daily News....So, why do you think it's ok to cheat?

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Kraft should be forced to sell and the AFC CG replayed between Baltimore and Indy.

It's time to stop tolerating this shit.

Past time in fact.

Solid trollin' post. Bravo Zulu.

Mr Steeler

ReMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read the fine for messing with the balls is $25,000 Doesn't seem like such a big deal to me

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the NFL officials?

Weighed and reinflated all of the Pats balls at halftime. Weighed the Colts balls too, all were regulation

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you have any proof?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never said that they weren't aware of it, but the boss ( coach) makes the decision

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In any case, for the record: The Patriots are the Winona Ryder of the NFL. They don't need to steal (cheat), they just do it for the thrill of it. They'd have crushed the Colts with footballs used at any air pressure.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the NFL officials?

Here is your answer as to why officials wont notice

How serious is deflate-gate? Yahoo Sports does its own ball-deflating test | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

How serious is deflate-gate? Yahoo Sports does its own ball-deflating test

Join us as we investigate the most enduring mystery of this week.

With that in mind, we sought to answer several questions:

• Is there a difference in feel between regulation psi and regulation-minus-2 pounds?
• Is there a grip and/or kick advantage?
• Is there a visual or weight difference between two pressure levels?
• How hard would such a scheme be to pull off?

Feel: Not as different as you'd think

You have no idea what a properly inflated football feels like. I guarantee it. If you grab a football, squeeze it, and think, hey, that could use a little air, chances are it's less than half its regulation pressure level. If you squeeze it and say, that's good, it's probably still three to four psi low. You cannot squeeze a football inflated to regulation pressure to any more than the tiniest degree, and some of that depends on the sponginess of the football's outer layer.

Ah, but what about a deflated football? I started at 13 psi, midpoint of the NFL's legal pressure window, and deflated the ball to 11 psi. Here's the thing: football squeezeability (scientific term) doesn't descend in a straight line as psi drops. The difference between 13 psi and 11 psi is not nearly as sharp as, say, the difference between 7 psi (mushy but still fine for a backyard game) and 5 psi (lumpy in your hand).

Again, I'm not an NFL quarterback, and I'm certain they can tell the degree of difference between psi with a far greater degree of certainty than I can. But, and this is key, once you get into double-digit psi, you really have to squeeze the ball hard to tell the difference. In other words, referees, particularly in a Gillette Stadium downpour, would have to be actively squeezing the balls, not just picking them up and tossing them to the sideline, to sense a pressure differential.

Verdict: There's a definite change in feel, but it's not nearly as sharp as you'd expect. And in game conditions ... I can't believe I'm saying this, but given the Biblical downpour and the presumption of previous checking, I'm letting the refs off the hook for not noticing the pressure differential once the game had already begun

Weight: Negligible

A football weighs 14.5 ounces, discounting air. At 13 psi, the air inside the ball weighs about one-third of an ounce, or about the weight of two sheets of paper. At 11 psi, the air weighs about one-fourth of an ounce.

Verdict: If you can tell the difference between one-third and one-fourth of an ounce of air inside a one-pound football, you are lying.

Appearance: Also negligible

It's a football. It looks exactly the same at 13 or 11 psi. Take two pounds out of a regulation-inflated ball and it doesn't suddenly become a Salvador Dali-esque melting chunk of leather.

Verdict: Either way, it's a football,

Performance: Definitely improved by deflation

Now, this is tricky, because as noted above, I'm not an NFL quarterback, and presumably neither are you. (If you are, get in touch and tell me how wrong I am.) I noticed a slight grip improvement on the deflated ball, and my throwing distance was ... well, let's just say I won't be turning heads at the combine, but there's a measurable distance improvement when you're able to get slightly more grip on the ball. But kicking a properly inflated ball is definitely a bit harder than the slightly deflated one, though that could be confirmation bias on my part.

Verdict: If a sportswriter decades past his athletic prime can notice a difference in performance, an elite NFL athlete certainly can.

Scheme: Not exactly a diamond heist

So how hard is it to pull two psi out of a ball? Even easier than you'd expect. Pop a needle into the ball and you can drop two psi faster than you can say "two psi." Granted, there are some chain-of-custody issues here; someone looking to do this would have to gain access to the balls, which are supposed to be under the referees' control prior to the game.

Verdict: If someone were to do a Mission: Impossible-style break-in of the football vault, they could deflate all 12 footballs inside of 30 seconds ... or miss one, if they're sloppy.

So what have we learned? This: deflating footballs is a perfect cut-the-corners gambit. It's an advantage that's simple to execute, not easily detectable, but with measurably positive results. Also, throwing around footballs on company time is pretty sweet. Enjoy Deflate-gate, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In any case, for the record: The Patriots are the Winona Ryder of the NFL. They don't need to steal (cheat), they just do it for the thrill of it. They'd have crushed the Colts with footballs used at any air pressure.

Yep, it's like the Nixon Watergate thing. Nixon was going to win that election in a landslide anyway but just couldn't help himself.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any proof?

We know common sense doesn't work for you, but I'd bet it does almost everyone else.

If it was so obvious a defensive player that doesn't touch a ball all day long every day noticed it was way under then what are the odds a QB that lives with a ball in hand wouldn't? This wasn't a slight deflation. It was 16% of the volume of the ball. It was obviously way low. At least according to the reports.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know common sense doesn't work for you, but I'd bet it does almost everyone else.

If it was so obvious a defensive player that doesn't touch a ball all day long every day noticed it was way under then what are the odds a QB that lives with a ball in hand wouldn't? This wasn't a slight deflation. It was 16% of the volume of the ball. It was obviously way low. At least according to the reports.

Don't be s hard on G N G. I met him once and he's ok. He even introduced me to his wife and sister. She's lovely.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How serious is deflate-gate? Yahoo Sports does its own ball-deflating test | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

• Is there a difference in feel between regulation psi and regulation-minus-2 pounds?

You have no idea what a properly inflated football feels like. I guarantee it. If you grab a football, squeeze it, and think, hey, that could use a little air, chances are it's less than half its regulation pressure level. If you squeeze it and say, that's good, it's probably still three to four psi low. You cannot squeeze a football inflated to regulation pressure to any more than the tiniest degree, and some of that depends on the sponginess of the football's outer layer.

Ah, but what about a deflated football? I started at 13 psi, midpoint of the NFL's legal pressure window, and deflated the ball to 11 psi. Here's the thing: football squeezeability (scientific term) doesn't descend in a straight line as psi drops. The difference between 13 psi and 11 psi is not nearly as sharp as, say, the difference between 7 psi (mushy but still fine for a backyard game) and 5 psi (lumpy in your hand).

Again, I'm not an NFL quarterback, and I'm certain they can tell the degree of difference between psi with a far greater degree of certainty than I can. But, and this is key, once you get into double-digit psi, you really have to squeeze the ball hard to tell the difference. In other words, referees, particularly in a Gillette Stadium downpour, would have to be actively squeezing the balls, not just picking them up and tossing them to the sideline, to sense a pressure differential.

Verdict: There's a definite change in feel, but it's not nearly as sharp as you'd expect. And in game conditions ... I can't believe I'm saying this, but given the Biblical downpour and the presumption of previous checking, I'm letting the refs off the hook for not noticing the pressure differential once the game had already begun

A football weighs 14.5 ounces, discounting air. At 13 psi, the air inside the ball weighs about one-third of an ounce, or about the weight of two sheets of paper. At 11 psi, the air weighs about one-fourth of an ounce.

Verdict: If you can tell the difference between one-third and one-fourth of an ounce of air inside a one-pound football, you are lying.

It's a football. It looks exactly the same at 13 or 11 psi. Take two pounds out of a regulation-inflated ball and it doesn't suddenly become a Salvador Dali-esque melting chunk of leather.

Now, this is tricky, because as noted above, I'm not an NFL quarterback, and presumably neither are you. (If you are, get in touch and tell me how wrong I am.) I noticed a slight grip improvement on the deflated ball, and my throwing distance was ... well, let's just say I won't be turning heads at the combine, but there's a measurable distance improvement when you're able to get slightly more grip on the ball. But kicking a properly inflated ball is definitely a bit harder than the slightly deflated one, though that could be confirmation bias on my part.

Verdict: If a sportswriter decades past his athletic prime can notice a difference in performance, an elite NFL athlete certainly can.

So how hard is it to pull two psi out of a ball? Even easier than you'd expect. Pop a needle into the ball and you can drop two psi faster than you can say "two psi." Granted, there are some chain-of-custody issues here; someone looking to do this would have to gain access to the balls, which are supposed to be under the referees' control prior to the game.

Verdict: If someone were to do a Mission: Impossible-style break-in of the football vault, they could deflate all 12 footballs inside of 30 seconds ... or miss one, if they're sloppy.

So what have we learned? This: deflating footballs is a perfect cut-the-corners gambit. It's an advantage that's simple to execute, not easily detectable, but with measurably positive results. Also, throwing around footballs on company time is pretty sweet. Enjoy Deflate-gate, everyone!

If it's only noticeable on the throw or kick, how did the colts LB notice it?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the story has changed. I don't think the defensive player was as attuned as the initial story.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine when he caught it he squeezed it enough to notice

Yep, he wanted to keep it as a souvenier and noticed it as he went off the field. The equipment guy he gave it to noticed and they kicked it up stairs.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be amazed if the NFL does anything before after the season is over.

Anyway I wonder how many upset Colt fans will try and sue the NFL, if they paid to attend that game?

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yahoo sports...Seriously? I think I will wait for the official NFL report.