• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DC Update:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangini is the lead. Vrabel is interviewing today. Word out of Chip Kelly camp they want to go big.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vrabel has no experience as a DC, so I don't see how he makes sense.

I've seen a lot of fans call for the Niners to hire Lovie Smith, but that means going to a 4/3 defense.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangini is the lead. Vrabel is interviewing today. Word out of Chip Kelly camp they want to go big.

I love the fire Vrabel holds...he was a very heady player, and from what I saw on the Hard Knoxs series I think an extremely viable and interesting candidate. I'm ready to move on from Mangina...I don't think he's our guy.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen a lot of fans call for the Niners to hire Lovie Smith, but that means going to a 4/3 defense.

Nice to see yah Niner O. Looks as if most of the old 49er KFFL crew are now spread about the 'net. As for Lovie...I don't think it would be a drastic move to a 4/3, and I wouldn't mind him as DC. I read some people wanted him as HC, and THAT was problematic.

I'm not too keen on Vrabel as the DC.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“During his Patriots career, there was no player more respected for his football intellect and revered for his leadership by his teammates than Mike,” Belichick said. "He was elected a team captain by his peers and is a player who I think everyone knew was destined to become a coach after his NFL playing career was over.
"Mike Vrabel is as well-suited for coaching as any player I have ever coached. He has a tremendous feel for people, players, coaches and what his team needs regardless of the situation. He is outstanding in his knowledge of the game, which contributed to his excellence as a player. I have no doubt Mike will develop tough, intelligent, fundamentally sound winners."

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, rumor has it that he would be able to bring Cushing with him. I heard good things about him but we need some one with experience.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the fire Vrabel holds...he was a very heady player, and from what I saw on the Hard Knoxs series I think an extremely viable and interesting candidate. I'm ready to move on from Mangina...I don't think he's our guy.
I do agree with this but can Chip really gamble on a DC with no experience.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“During his Patriots career, there was no player more respected for his football intellect and revered for his leadership by his teammates than Mike,” Belichick said. "He was elected a team captain by his peers and is a player who I think everyone knew was destined to become a coach after his NFL playing career was over.
"Mike Vrabel is as well-suited for coaching as any player I have ever coached. He has a tremendous feel for people, players, coaches and what his team needs regardless of the situation. He is outstanding in his knowledge of the game, which contributed to his excellence as a player. I have no doubt Mike will develop tough, intelligent, fundamentally sound winners."
Nice message from Bill but why doesnt he make him their DC then. LOL JK. Yeah like someone said he does seem like he will be a good coach. I just dont know if we can take that chance.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice message from Bill but why doesnt he make him their DC then. LOL JK. Yeah like someone said he does seem like he will be a good coach. I just dont know if we can take that chance.

It would definitely be a gamble, with him only have 2 years under his belt coaching LBs.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of bringing in Cushing with him. Him and Bowman would be nice.

Oh man...Bowman AND Cushing...that would bring us back into the best ILB core in the league conversation. They're both beasts.

I think Kelly can take a chance on Vrable...I trust Belichicks word over Vrables lack of experience. Vrable played above his talent level because he was smart. Watch the Texans Hard Knocks series...he's a hards ass...a monster...but his players respect him and react to him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man...Bowman AND Cushing...that would bring us back into the best ILB core in the league conversation. They're both beasts.

I think Kelly can take a chance on Vrable...I trust Belichicks word over Vrables lack of experience. Vrable played above his talent level because he was smart. Watch the Texans Hard Knocks series...he's a hards ass...a monster...but his players respect him and react to him.
I did, im a fan of him. His players do respect him but I feel we already went Boom or Bust with Chip, I dont know if we can do it at the DC position. Chances of hitting 2 home runs is rare.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did, im a fan of him. His players do respect him but I feel we already went Boom or Bust with Chip, I dont know if we can do it at the DC position. Chances of hitting 2 home runs is rare.

While part of me agrees with you...I'd honestly be more comfortable with Vrable as our DC than Kelly as our HC. I've always been a little disillusioned by NFL coaching carrousel that rotates the same names into the same positions after failing with multiple teams.

I think Vrable could be that diamond in the rough...and like I said in another thread, with a few more years, could be a very sought after HC candidate...he reminds me a lot of Harbaugh with less time in between playing NFL football and coaching which provides an immediate connection with players. I could never guarantee any of this...hell, nothing in life is guaranteed but I do believe he comes from strong pedigree in Belichick who also strongly endorses his football acumen and leadership skills...and he seems to know a thing or two about both of those.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading what Belichick said, definitely made Vabrel an interesting candidate. Did they interview Nickerson for the position as well, or just for the LBs coaching position?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While part of me agrees with you...I'd honestly be more comfortable with Vrable as our DC than Kelly as our HC. I've always been a little disillusioned by NFL coaching carrousel that rotates the same names into the same positions after failing with multiple teams.

I think Vrable could be that diamond in the rough...and like I said in another thread, with a few more years, could be a very sought after HC candidate...he reminds me a lot of Harbaugh with less time in between playing NFL football and coaching which provides an immediate connection with players. I could never guarantee any of this...hell, nothing in life is guaranteed but I do believe he comes from strong pedigree in Belichick who also strongly endorses his football acumen and leadership skills...and he seems to know a thing or two about both of those.
I agree with your opinion. I would just like someone with experience, if he ends up our DC I also support it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading what Belichick said, definitely made Vabrel an interesting candidate. Did they interview Nickerson for the position as well, or just for the LBs coaching position?
No he was interviewed for the LB coach position.

Tomorrow we will get some answers......or is it Thursday for Kelly.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, rumor has it that he would be able to bring Cushing with him. I heard good things about him but we need some one with experience.
I don't know where this Cushing rumor is coming from but it's probably bogus. Cushing isn't a FA until 2020 and his salary the next couple of years is pretty reasonable at 5M and 5.5M. Unless Cushing was cut, Vrabel can't "bring Cushing with him."

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see yah Niner O. Looks as if most of the old 49er KFFL crew are now spread about the 'net.
Yea, I haven't really run into many (any) of them on other boards.

As for Lovie...I don't think it would be a drastic move to a 4/3, and I wouldn't mind him as DC. I read some people wanted him as HC, and THAT was problematic.
I agree. A move to a 4/3 wouldn't be all that bad, but we'd need to add a true 4/3 DE and maybe an OLB. I think the front office wants to stick with a 3/4.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where this Cushing rumor is coming from but it's probably bogus. Cushing isn't a FA until 2020 and his salary the next couple of years is pretty reasonable at 5M and 5.5M. Unless Cushing was cut, Vrabel can't "bring Cushing with him."
49ers could trade for him. we have a lot of picks.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers could trade for him. we have a lot of picks.
A trade would be all about what the Texans want for a 28yr old former 15th overall choice at LB that is coming off one of his best seasons who is still on a team friendly deal. Vrabel would have nothing to do with that. It certainly wouldn't be "bringing Cushing with him." That's a figment of someone's imagination.