• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Hurley welcome to the Lakers !

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was shaking down UConn for more money.

He could enter college immortality if he wins another this year.

I could see him eventually going pro. But leaving now would have been a huge black mark on his legacy just to go to a team whose best player is going to ignore you.

Yeah I dont know why any 1st time coach would want the Laker job. Huge expectations, old as the hills roster and very, very limited draft and trade assets.

The reality of the situation is that the next time the Lakers compete for a championship almost assuredly wont be until after they draft in the top 10 a couple of times barring an amazing offseason this year where they get something great for nothing (which is of course is unlikely) and get extremely lucky again next time with their health (also unlikely).

Even with a ton of guaranteed money in his contract, no coach is likely to survive Laker expectations over the next 4 years.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic offer by the Lakers. UK was offering upwards of $10M per. Still, pretty much egg om the face that a coach stays in Connecticut for half the money for living in LA and co aching the Lakers

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watch out where that husker goes and don,t eat the yellow snow.-zappa

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA coaches don't have to deal with NIL, the D League, the Transfer portal, conference realignment. And the "winner take all" playoffs in CBB. An NBA team can have a dominant season, have a bad game in the playoffs and still cut down nets. In CBB you can go 31-0, have a howler in March and go home with shit. It will be interesting to see how UConn deals with the new plans to pay players. They are hamstrung by having a fraction of the football revenue of a Big 10 or SEC team

NIL and transfer portal are advantages for the coaches who are able to recruit the top end talent.

Of course the tournament is harder and more flukey.

But none of that compares to the challenge of someone else (not the coach) building the roster under the restrictions of the salary cap, free agency rules and the draft system.

NBA coaches are relatively powerless.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is harder in many ways. Easier in others.

Biggest difference is college coaches have full control over their rosters and their eventual success.

NBA coaches don’t.

So for that reason, in an industry where there is very little job security, a good college coach has a lot more.

Oh yea, the job security thing absolutely.

Do NBA coaches work in the offseason? I guess, but not in the same way.

College coaches need to be at it all year. Especially with NIL/portal.

Then again, the way things are these days, the NBA offseason is practically nil

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a big difference tho. You don't get hired off talks and many reports, even from credible people, acted like JJ had his pen on the paper
Why it's not crazy to think credible people/insiders guess or get bad info.....a lot.
Throw in a "league sources tell me" or a "possibly/maybe" and no accountability needed.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea, the job security thing absolutely.

Do NBA coaches work in the offseason? I guess, but not in the same way.

College coaches need to be at it all year. Especially with NIL/portal.

Then again, the way things are these days, the NBA offseason is practically nil

Yup

I’d be running to the nba for the right team

Like the spurs lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is harder in many ways. Easier in others.

Biggest difference is college coaches have full control over their rosters and their eventual success.

NBA coaches don’t.

So for that reason, in an industry where there is very little job security, a good college coach has a lot more.
Good point....while I think NBa coaches can have more say than you might if a college coach is a really good recruiter he may only need to be an average coach to succeed.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have gone after Calipari.

He's perfect.

He's coached 10% of the NBA already anyway...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have gone after Calipari.

He's perfect.

He's coached 10% of the NBA already anyway...

:thumbsdown: - Stephon Marbury, Sam Cassell, Kendall Gill, Kerry Kittles, Keith Van Horn, Rony Seikaly disliked this post.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:thumbsdown: - Stephon Marbury, Sam Cassell, Kendall Gill, Kerry Kittles, Keith Van Horn, Rony Seikaly disliked this post.

Irony is I'm a Nets fan...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Knicks is probably the job he would leave UConn for.....and Thibs could retire in a few seasons. He is 66 and the NBA season is a grind.

Thibs is a lifer. But as upset as he gets, that might be sooner rather than later. He's one of those guys on the sidelines that you worry about his head or heart exploding.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thibs is a lifer. But as upset as he gets, that might be sooner rather than later. He's one of those guys on the sidelines that you worry about his head or heart exploding.
I almost typed he is a walking heart attack.....with his intensity and he is a little overweight. Plus, coaching in the NBA is stressful.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first guy it has been offered to will decide today. Nobody has turned it down yet. The only guys that came off their list were never actually available (Lue, Kidd) or jumped on an earlier offer (Lee).
Welp