• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dan Quinn is not HC material and it's time to go back to Seattle

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had a couple winning seasons, and that's it. That team wins when they do because of their talent. The fact that Atlanta choked a 28-3 SB lead speaks volumes of him as a coach. It doesn't help that Ryan's just not a big game player that can close. And the FO is not going to let him have his way. He's stuck with a QB who is limited but there isn't really anything out there better.

Could he have won with a different team? Sure, if the QB was better than Matt Ryan. He's not calling offensive plays but he's in charge of adjustments and motivating the players. However, there is no team out there that needs him with a superior QB.

Both Quinn and Seattle lost. Quinn as an HC made a defense not as good as Seattle and Seattle's defense has suffered since Quinn left. And I have to believe Quinn had an impact on the draft because Seattle has not drafted such defensive talent since. It is time for Quinn to go back home to Seattle, and it may be the only thing that saves Pete Carroll.

He's likely going to get fired after the season because Atlanta isn't winning more than 1 game against the NFC North and will probably lose to both Dallas and Seattle. Then they have the Saints and Bucs to deal with. I also think the Falcons start out 0-4, 1-4, 1-5, and either 2-6 or 1-7. And Atlanta won't rebound to a 7-9 this time. I'm sure Seattle's FO will be watching this and wait for Quinn to come back before firing Carroll.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JWGutV7.gif

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle couldn't afford to keep paying all those standout young defenders they had when Quinn was there. Bringing him back doesn't change the roster.

You need Eli to beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, everybody knows that! :heh:

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had a couple winning seasons, and that's it. That team wins when they do because of their talent. The fact that Atlanta choked a 28-3 SB lead speaks volumes of him as a coach. It doesn't help that Ryan's just not a big game player that can close. And the FO is not going to let him have his way. He's stuck with a QB who is limited but there isn't really anything out there better.

Could he have won with a different team? Sure, if the QB was better than Matt Ryan. He's not calling offensive plays but he's in charge of adjustments and motivating the players. However, there is no team out there that needs him with a superior QB.

Both Quinn and Seattle lost. Quinn as an HC made a defense not as good as Seattle and Seattle's defense has suffered since Quinn left. And I have to believe Quinn had an impact on the draft because Seattle has not drafted such defensive talent since. It is time for Quinn to go back home to Seattle, and it may be the only thing that saves Pete Carroll.

He's likely going to get fired after the season because Atlanta isn't winning more than 1 game against the NFC North and will probably lose to both Dallas and Seattle. Then they have the Saints and Bucs to deal with. I also think the Falcons start out 0-4, 1-4, 1-5, and either 2-6 or 1-7. And Atlanta won't rebound to a 7-9 this time. I'm sure Seattle's FO will be watching this and wait for Quinn to come back before firing Carroll.

43167789_1562656007212947_2887620819360415744_n.jpg

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree with the first part. I never thought much of Quinn as a head coaching prospect but not for anything you listed. It was because he had a lot of talent and the defense in Seattle was Pete Carroll's. But the other parts seem far off. I think =maybe losing some of that talent on defensive had more to do with the defense slipping than losing Quinn. And even though I know little about how Seattle's FO operates, I seriously doubt Quinn had much if any influence on their drafts. Carroll was the reason for that team's successful defense, not Quinn. If Quinn was as good as you think he is, then why doesn't Atlanta have a top NFL defense? Mike Nolan coached a great defense in Baltimore. Wonder why he was never able to replicate that success anywhere else as a DC?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of saying "speaks volumes," you should really be describing what it specifically means to you about the coach.

Not good writing, Brees. You used it in the other thread too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with the first part. I never thought much of Quinn as a head coaching prospect but not for anything you listed. It was because he had a lot of talent and the defense in Seattle was Pete Carroll's. But the other parts seem far off. I think =maybe losing some of that talent on defensive had more to do with the defense slipping than losing Quinn. And even though I know little about how Seattle's FO operates, I seriously doubt Quinn had much if any influence on their drafts. Carroll was the reason for that team's successful defense, not Quinn. If Quinn was as good as you think he is, then why doesn't Atlanta have a top NFL defense? Mike Nolan coached a great defense in Baltimore. Wonder why he was never able to replicate that success anywhere else as a DC?

So far...Quinn's biggest coaching mistake... he failed to take the reins when his gut told him to.

Instead, he did as he'd done all season when he felt the play call should be something other than what he would do...he let his OC call the shot....I'm paraphrasing, but DQ is on record with this. The series the Falcons should have run the ball...bleed clock and either kick a FG or punt...that was Quinn's undoing.

When you read thru the OP's post, you can see...this is mostly his Falcon/Saints hate coming thru more than anything.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle couldn't afford to keep paying all those standout young defenders they had when Quinn was there. Bringing him back doesn't change the roster.

You need Eli to beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, everybody knows that! :heh:

Bringing Quinn back would change up the scheme and hopefully run more nickel defense when needed.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far...Quinn's biggest coaching mistake... he failed to take the reins when his gut told him to.

Instead, he did as he'd done all season when he felt the play call should be something other than what he would do...he let his OC call the shot....I'm paraphrasing, but DQ is on record with this. The series the Falcons should have run the ball...bleed clock and either kick a FG or punt...that was Quinn's undoing.

When you read thru the OP's post, you can see...this is mostly his Falcon/Saints hate coming thru more than anything.

I understand about the playcalling on the offensive side of the ball but if Quinn was that good of a DC and drafter, one would think they would have this great defense.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thought he was the best of the DCs Carroll has had under his tenure so far so I'm sure he'd be welcomed back with open arms back to Seattle if he was ever available.

Most of the time defensive minded coaches make for poor head coaches. There are some stand out defensive minded head coaches but most of them are too conservative and can't get a consistent stable offense going because if they have a great OC they get plucked so they can only get mediocre offensive coaches to run their offense any length of time.

Quinn's problem is that he's not as good as Carroll when it comes to defense and he doesn't have Russell Wilson to cover a lot of the roster deficiencies. If Carroll didn't luck into Wilson he would've been fired years ago. Carroll's defense has a fatal flaw as well as it needs a lot of talent on all 3 levels to operate at a high level and if you're not nailing it in the draft that kind of defense takes a big hit in a hurry.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand about the playcalling on the offensive side of the ball but if Quinn was that good of a DC and drafter, one would think they would have this great defense.

Well...I'm not saying DQ was that good of a DC...just pointing out what I thought his worst move as a HC.

To his credit, he built a DEF that was good enough to get to the SB in ATL, and was handling the opponent on both sides of the ball...until he took his foot out the gas...that DEF was actually much better the following season (top 10) then crashed and burned due to mass injuries in '18....'19...lost Neal again, but his replacement played the entire season before so no excuse...23rd ranked.

Drafting...He hit with the 5th rounder, Grady Jarrett in '15...nailed the '16 draft. Neal has suffered btb season ending injuries, but 3 pro bowl players was huge. '17-'18...were not that impactful on DEF but both starting CBs came from those draft...they haven't hit the edge rusher, but more the most part, DQ/Dimitroff have fared okay

DC...I think the locals would probably prefer that Raheem Morris calls the plays. DQ is too grounded in his scheme for the edge talent (lackthereof) that he has in ATL...Morris is more aggressive with heat...will play more man on the back end as well.

Sink or swim season here.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they miss the playoffs again this year then they gotta move on. Ryan just turned 35, these are the last of the Ryan years. Better make them count.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the ball was at the 20 yard line with 3 minutes left. He could’ve knelt 3 times and still had a chip shot fg to win the game. It was retarded to do anything to risk it.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree it’s pretty good but I can’t see it getting a 4.0 grade.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Nolan coached a great defense in Baltimore. Wonder why he was never able to replicate that success anywhere else as a DC?

Nolan did pretty well his first season in Denver. Then the 6-0 start went to Josh McDaniels head and he started thinking he was Belichick Jr. and took way more control then he should have. And the rest is history. I personally believe Mike Nolan is a decent DC.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn did a good job though, Gus Bradley would a screwed it up for us, we actually got kinda lucky the Gus left and Quinn was available at the time... He just let Seattle's D be what they were, didn't get cute and @#$^ it up .... I'd happily take Quinn back over Norton ....