• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'd be the worst case scenario. They'd get a union grievance filed quicker than you can say "Jarrett Parker." Moreover, it's not the Giants way to screw players over for money.

Bottom line: he'll vest and be a reserve OF in 2016

Fair enough. Although it would be perfectly reasonable for us, after the point of elimination, to sit him (and Posey, and Cain, and Peavy, and Panik, and, and, and...). We don't have to advertise as to why.

But worse case, we pay $8mm for 1 year for a guy who is hitting to an .854 OPS here, wants to be here, doesn't hurt us in the field, and is still reasonably durable. Especially in light of a dearth of OF prospects in our organization, and the fragility of the ones we have.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning Byrd's option, "2016 option guaranteed with 600 plate appearances in 2015 or 1,100 PAs in 2014-15, including 550 PAs in 2015". Byrd had over 600 PAs in 2014, so he only needs 550 this season to 'vest'. He is currently at 473, so he needs 77PAs in 21 games - that's 3.6 PAs a game. If they sit him just ONE GAME A WEEK (3 fewer games) "to keep him fresh", that ups it to 4.2 PAs a game. Toss in a few late-game defensive replacements/double switches and they can avoid vesting him easily. He *has* played in every game since he was acquired, and he started all but one of those, and almost all his appearances were CGs.

But personally, I don't think they should bother. $3M is chicken feed these days and they could really use him next year. So why risk his signing elsewhere? Hell, exercise the option even if he *doesn't* vest to guarantee he's a Giant in 2016. He's not only insurance against health problems, he allows the team to rest the OFers one day every 6-7 days, and he provides something the Giants desperately lack : RH power bat on the bench.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. Although it would be perfectly reasonable for us, after the point of elimination, to sit him (and Posey, and Cain, and Peavy, and Panik, and, and, and...). We don't have to advertise as to why.

But worse case, we pay $8mm for 1 year for a guy who is hitting to an .854 OPS here, wants to be here, doesn't hurt us in the field, and is still reasonably durable. Especially in light of a dearth of OF prospects in our organization, and the fragility of the ones we have.

Exactly. At worst, it's a $3MM overpay for a quality backup who, as you point out, is still a good corner defender. He also has a good amount of pop. Not a reach that he'd win 3 games next year as a late inning PH.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. At worst, it's a $3MM overpay for a quality backup who, as you point out, is still a good corner defender. He also has a good amount of pop. Not a reach that he'd win 3 games next year as a late inning PH.

I'd go one step further and say we SHOULD do everything to help that vested option become a reality. I actually really like the idea of Pence, Byrd, Pagan, Aoki, and Blanco as our 5 OF with CF experience, with Kelby as our Util guy with (hopefully) some off-season OF experience.

Byrd gives us power off the bench, a stick that allows us to rest guys like Pence without a huge drop off in production, and when we go all interleague with it, we have a bat that actually is worthy of DH status.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will they play though? Perez has proven he's not an everyday player. De Aza sits versus all lefties. Pagan needs rest. The Giants didn't even want to call up Parker for whatever reason, until they had to.

I would like to see what we have in Parker, but the fact that he was JUST TODAY called up because of an injury, that is some serious red flags IMO. I know he can't defend, and he strikes-out way too often.

Byrd will probably play, I'll believe it when I see him sit 2 days in a row.

Well, assuming they get eliminated ("So ya mean there's a chance?"), does it really matter who plays?

I like the Tomlinson idea. Re De Aza, this might be a good time to get experience against lefties. Belt. Put Posey in left (worked for Yogi Berra).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panik 60 day DL
Carbonnel DFA'd
Williamson, Trevor Brown called up.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panik 60 day DL
Carbonnel DFA'd
Williamson, Trevor Brown called up.
Wow, Carbonnell dfa'd. That seems mildly surprising. He hasn't shown much but I'm surprised the FO would give up on him so soon. Good to see Williamson and Brown up. Hope Panik gets well for April 2016.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SHOCKED about Carbonell. As tz said, though, he really has not shown well for himself. He is making money, so there is very little chance he will be claimed, so he is actually a safe DFA.

I suspect having Bum and Leake both PH yesterday made these moves about as required as possible.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Carbonnell dfa'd. That seems mildly surprising. He hasn't shown much but I'm surprised the FO would give up on him so soon. Good to see Williamson and Brown up. Hope Panik gets well for April 2016.

I wonder if they get away from paying some of the contract by DFA...ing Carbonnell this early?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SHOCKED about Carbonell. As tz said, though, he really has not shown well for himself. He is making money, so there is very little chance he will be claimed, so he is actually a safe DFA.

I suspect having Bum and Leake both PH yesterday made these moves about as required as possible.
With Aoki, Blanco and Panik shut down the rest of the season, the team was playing with 2 catchers, 6 infielders and 4 outfielders. That is pretty thin for September.

Also, considering that they didn't put Pence on the 60 day dl, I wonder if they think he'll be able to play before the season is over.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not shocked about Carbonell.

He sucked in the fall league last year

He sucked at Richmond, and was demoted to San Jose

He was very up and down in San Jose.

In the post season for San Jose, he is hitting. .090

He has not done well, and he doesn't appear to be getting any better, but what do I know?

He was worth a shot, but it has not worked as planned. Clear the space for someone else.

Surprised they called up Mac. He had a very so-so year at AAA. Lollis would be the better choice, though the ceiling for Mac is higher. Glad to see him called up, though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Aoki, Blanco and Panik shut down the rest of the season, the team was playing with 2 catchers, 6 infielders and 4 outfielders. That is pretty thin for September.

Also, considering that they didn't put Pence on the 60 day dl, I wonder if they think he'll be able to play before the season is over.

We really could have used Mac last night. And Brown. Posey could have shifted to 1st base and Belt could have rested.

I saw yesterday that the Giants still believe Pence can return.

Also, STOKED for Mac Williamson. I hope he gets some chances to start and isn't Parker'd

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Crawford cannot get in the lineup soon if they will just shut him down too. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Frandsen up since the infield will be pretty thin without Crawford able to play.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they get away from paying some of the contract by DFA...ing Carbonnell this early?

Nope. He has a contract - he'll earn what is specified no matter what. But any team that claims him will have to take on the contract. That's not much of an obstruction, as the biggest part of his contract was his bonus. In the minors he earns $100k a year thru 2017. No big deal for ANY major league team that thinks he might turn out well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster has been updated.

JCP added to 60-day DL
Frandsen added to active roster.

Never like to see injuries, BUUUUTTT I look forward to seeing more (which probably isn't saying much) of Parker and Williamson. I mean, Mac is the only righty threat on the bench, and Parker is the only lefty threat on the bench.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster has been updated.

JCP added to 60-day DL
Frandsen added to active roster.
I had no idea that JCP was dealing with concussion symptoms. I knew about Blanco, Aoki and Belt but not Perez. I guess, with some faint breath of life being blown into the division race, the Giants want to keep their options open with those three in case any of them come available before the season is over. Ditto Pence. Frandsen is more, I would think, for the infield (Adrianza played 1st last night!). Maybe Williamson will finally appear in a game.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea that JCP was dealing with concussion symptoms. I knew about Blanco, Aoki and Belt but not Perez. I guess, with some faint breath of life being blown into the division race, the Giants want to keep their options open with those three in case any of them come available before the season is over. Ditto Pence. Frandsen is more, I would think, for the infield (Adrianza played 1st last night!). Maybe Williamson will finally appear in a game.

Perez is dealing with an oblique injury. Adrianza possibly has a concussion.