• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Gearrin added to Active roster, Hector Sanchez transferred to 60-day DL.
Wow, two years in a row. What do they have against Jarrett Parker? I would think he would be valuable off the bench in a pinch hitting role.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, two years in a row. What do they have against Jarrett Parker? I would think he would be valuable off the bench in a pinch hitting role.

I do like that they brought up Gearrin though. He put up numbers deserving of a call-up, and September is meant for these kind of guys, journeymen. If the Giants keep passing over guys like him (Rapada is another name they could have called), it makes it harder to recruit them in the offseason. Guys like that are important not only for depth, but to help the young guys along.

As for Parker, they must not have much faith in him. Maybe he has too many holes in his swing? He's not valuable on defense.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like that they brought up Gearrin though. He put up numbers deserving of a call-up, and September is meant for these kind of guys, journeymen. If the Giants keep passing over guys like him (Rapada is another name they could have called), it makes it harder to recruit them in the offseason. Guys like that are important not only for depth, but to help the young guys along.

As for Parker, they must not have much faith in him. Maybe he has too many holes in his swing? He's not valuable on defense.
I agree, Gearrin had the numbers worthy of a call up. He had a good second half, just like Bochy. I'm glad that he got a shot. He did decently in Atlanta until he got injured, so it will be interesting if he sticks around this off season.

If Parker goes the way of the journeyman, then why not call him up? He's already on the 40 man roster (just like last year, when he was skipped over). If they don't have much faith in him, why would they carry him so long on the 40 man roster? Why wasn't he dfa'd when DeAza was acquired? September is made for offensive first players to come on in late innings and see if they can rake one out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Gearrin had the numbers worthy of a call up. He had a good second half, just like Bochy. I'm glad that he got a shot. He did decently in Atlanta until he got injured, so it will be interesting if he sticks around this off season.

If Parker goes the way of the journeyman, then why not call him up? He's already on the 40 man roster (just like last year, when he was skipped over). If they don't have much faith in him, why would they carry him so long on the 40 man roster? Why wasn't he dfa'd when DeAza was acquired? September is made for offensive first players to come on in late innings and see if they can rake one out.

They must just really not like him all that much. 164 K's in 434 ABs translates very well to the majors, just not in a positive way. 0-9 with 5 K's in SF. Maybe they just think it's a waste of space.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must just really not like him all that much. 164 K's in 434 ABs translates very well to the majors, just not in a positive way. 0-9 with 5 K's in SF. Maybe they just think it's a waste of space.
I guess I just don't understand why they would hold on to him for one and a half seasons on the 40 man if they felt that way.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't understand why they would hold on to him for one and a half seasons on the 40 man if they felt that way.
It is not for you to understand. It is for you to get drunk and cheer.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark back to the concussion DL; Parker activated.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, more Byrd. His option is certainly going to vest now.

Finally, the Giants are forced to recall Parker as well. For better or worse.

I could see offering Byrd a 1 yr, $5 mill deal for 2016. Unless we spend for a free agent, but that will be expensive. I'm not enamored with any of our OF prospects, at least as far as being major-league ready by April 2016. All of our ML OF's have questions going into 2016, though I think Pence, Blanco, and AOK should be good by then.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see offering Byrd a 1 yr, $5 mill deal for 2016. Unless we spend for a free agent, but that will be expensive. I'm not enamored with any of our OF prospects, at least as far as being major-league ready by April 2016. All of our ML OF's have questions going into 2016, though I think Pence, Blanco, and AOK should be good by then.

It won't matter if his $8M option vests, and with injuries to Blanco, Pence and Aoki, he's gonna play every day.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't matter if his $8M option vests, and with injuries to Blanco, Pence and Aoki, he's gonna play every day.

I disagree. Assuming we're eliminated, the Giants would be fully justified in not playing him for the sole reason of NOT vesting him. He then becomes an FA, and we offer him a one year deal that is fair.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Assuming we're eliminated, the Giants would be fully justified in not playing him for the sole reason of NOT vesting him. He then becomes an FA, and we offer him a one year deal that is fair.

Who will they play though? Perez has proven he's not an everyday player. De Aza sits versus all lefties. Pagan needs rest. The Giants didn't even want to call up Parker for whatever reason, until they had to.

I would like to see what we have in Parker, but the fact that he was JUST TODAY called up because of an injury, that is some serious red flags IMO. I know he can't defend, and he strikes-out way too often.

Byrd will probably play, I'll believe it when I see him sit 2 days in a row.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will they play though? Perez has proven he's not an everyday player. De Aza sits versus all lefties. Pagan needs rest. The Giants didn't even want to call up Parker for whatever reason, until they had to.

I would like to see what we have in Parker, but the fact that he was JUST TODAY called up because of an injury, that is some serious red flags IMO. I know he can't defend, and he strikes-out way too often.

Byrd will probably play, I'll believe it when I see him sit 2 days in a row.

Tomlinson!

I think the Giants would be within their rights to sit Byrd so his option does not vest, but that might sour him, and the players union. I'd be open to having him back, but he is a 4/5 OF at this point.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlinson!

I think the Giants would be within their rights to sit Byrd so his option does not vest, but that might sour him, and the players union. I'd be open to having him back, but he is a 4/5 OF at this point.

True about the players union. But it would be hard to prove we hosed him if we said, "Hey, we just want to play the young guys." So we kind of hint that to him, and tell him we'll offer a 1 yr, $5 million deal.

Although let's keep in mind he is hitting at an .854 OPS with us. Morse was .811 last year, with egregiously bad fielding to boot (pun intended).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That'd be the worst case scenario. They'd get a union grievance filed quicker than you can say "Jarrett Parker." Moreover, it's not the Giants way to screw players over for money.

Bottom line: he'll vest and be a reserve OF in 2016

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlinson!

filo "likes" this.

Tomlinson for the OF!