• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always think back to Noah Lowry and how the Giants supposedly destroyed his arm due to medical incompetence. Is that an area where the Giants are lacking? They have had the same med team for a very long team, it seems…

Nick's brother! Or is it cousin? Or son?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t heard anything yet, but I am not sure the Giants have any choices here…

I assume Birdsong will be sent back down today.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw confirmation, as well as another transaction…

Birdsong optioned
Hjelle placed on Bereavement list (no info)
Randy Rodriguez recalled

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t heard anything yet, but I am not sure the Giants have any choices here…

I assume Birdsong will be sent back down today.

Just saw confirmation, as well as another transaction…

Birdsong optioned
Hjelle placed on Bereavement list (no info)
Randy Rodriguez recalled
I could be wrong but I think teams can substitute a player for the 27th man. However, I don't know how options would work there so it may be the case that I'm just wrong on that.

Of course, there is no room in the rotation right now and Birdsong should not pitch in relief. Being sent down is the only thing to do.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong but I think teams can substitute a player for the 27th man. However, I don't know how options would work there so it may be the case that I'm just wrong on that.

Of course, there is no room in the rotation right now and Birdsong should not pitch in relief. Being sent down is the only thing to do.
There is also a 10 day (I think it is 10 days) requirement for players to stay down after an option. That can be bypassed by a number of different ways, but that is the basic rule.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is also a 10 day (I think it is 10 days) requirement for players to stay down after an option. That can be bypassed by a number of different ways, but that is the basic rule.
I meant that, if I remember correctly, the 27th player's option doesn't count against the limit on options for the year before the player is exposed to waivers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant that, if I remember correctly, the 27th player's option doesn't count against the limit on options for the year before the player is exposed to waivers.
That as well.

I think the Giants COULD have kept Birdy if the wanted too to fill for Hjelle. But I doubt he will end up maxing his 3 allotted option years anyway, so trying to conserve that isn’t likely a goal.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That as well.

I think the Giants COULD have kept Birdy if the wanted too to fill for Hjelle. But I doubt he will end up maxing his 3 allotted option years anyway, so trying to conserve that isn’t likely a goal.
Remember, there is also a limit on the amounts of times a team options a player in one year before being exposed to waivers. However, from what I've seen, MLB doesn't really enforce that rule.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, there is also a limit on the amounts of times a team options a player in one year before being exposed to waivers. However, from what I've seen, MLB doesn't really enforce that rule.
Enforce or no, this would be Birdy’s first option of the year (he is still in his “pending period“ of his first option)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enforce or no, this would be Birdy’s first option of the year (he is still in his “pending period“ of his first option)
I think you are focused on Birdsong in particular and I'm thinking broader in terms of the rules. I'm still stuck on figuring out if the Giants could have sent someone else down as the 27th man and kept Birdsong and how it would have affected the other player's number of options used this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are focused on Birdsong in particular and I'm thinking broader in terms of the rules. I'm still stuck on figuring out if the Giants could have sent someone else down as the 27th man and kept Birdsong and how it would have affected the other player's number of options used this year.
Gotcha.

I THINK that since Hjelle went to the “IL”, Birdy COULD have stayed. Players can only be recalled during the “pending period” in order to fill a spot vacated during injury, or to fill a “special” spot, such as a DH-27.

I am speculating here. I don’t have a perfect understanding of the ins/outs of the option rules.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha.

I THINK that since Hjelle went to the “IL”, Birdy COULD have stayed. Players can only be recalled during the “pending period” in order to fill a spot vacated during injury, or to fill a “special” spot, such as a DH-27.

I am speculating here. I don’t have a perfect understanding of the ins/outs of the option rules.
I think you are right as Rodriguez was optioned after Birdsong's option. I think bereavement, family leave and paternity lists act much the same way as the IL.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right as Rodriguez was optioned after Birdsong's option. I think bereavement, family leave and paternity lists act much the same way as the IL.
Covid as well. They all have “variable” durations, but outside of that, they are just IL stints, just as the 10, 15 and 60 are.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha.

Calling @MarcoPolo. Calling @MarcoPolo.