• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury report update:

Winn: scheduled to throw a bullpen session at Oracle Park on July 13

Ray: scheduled to throw 65-75 pitches in his next start with San Jose on July 14, which could set him up to return shortly after the All-Star break.

Cobb: threw 55 pitches in his third rehab start with Single-A San Jose on July 10, giving up three runs on five hits over four innings. He is expected to pitch in another rehab game in Arizona on July 15

Beck: scheduled to throw a 40-pitch bullpen session at Oracle Park on July 14

Warren: began a rehab assignment at Triple-A Sacramento on June 18 and has given up nine earned runs over 8 1/3 innings (9.72 ERA) in his first nine relief appearances

Small: continuing his bullpen progression in Arizona and threw a 20-pitch live batting practice session on July 12

Murphy: took on-field batting practice on June 28 and caught a bullpen on July 6.
There is a rule that pitchers cannot be assigned to the minor leagues for more than 30 days on rehab assignments. Based on this rule, the Giants to make a decision to activate the following pitchers by:
Cobb - July 30th
Warren - July 4th
Ray - July 4th
And this is where it gets weird. He has not been activated yet and is set to start another rehab game soon. I looked around and could not find a rule change on this nor did I see a gap in his assignment. The rule does allow for an assignment to reset if the player has a setback. I’ve not heard of any setback for Ray, nor have I seen a gap in his starting. He has thrown every 4 to 5 days, except for his July 4th start, which came 6 days after his prior start.
Additonally, Warren started his rehab with the ACL on the same day and he has generally appeared in a game, with three different teams, every 2 to 4 days.
Now the rehab date you reference was when he was assigned to AAA, like Ray, he has bounced between the ACL, San Jose and Sacramento. But the rules don’t allow for the clock to reset every time a player gets moved. That would just make the rule unnecessary, as teams could just keep a guy they wanted but didn’t have room for on the 60 day IL, while actively playing, indefnitely. I’d love to know how the Giants successfully skirted around this rule.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants reinstated Austin Warren from 60-day IL and optioned him to Triple-A. The right-hander is a potential depth option for bullpen in second half.