• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BIG kid (6’7”, 230) who has hit OK in the minors, but hasn’t been able to do anything in the majors yet. He is strictly a 1B (he has started to play a little LF this year, but he is still primarily a 1B)

And why DFA Rojas instead of placing one of the hurt guys on the 60?
Hardly a kid, he turns 29 in December.
Also, how I feel about the churn:
Frustrated Head GIF

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BIG kid (6’7”, 230) who has hit OK in the minors, but hasn’t been able to do anything in the majors yet. He is strictly a 1B (he has started to play a little LF this year, but he is still primarily a 1B)

And why DFA Rojas instead of placing one of the hurt guys on the 60?
It’s a tiny sample (36 plate appearances) but Taylor Jones has posted a 117 wRC+ in his career against LHP. There’s a role for him if he can find a way to sustain that mark (and remain on the 40-man)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants claimed right-hander Jharel Cotton off waivers from Minnesota. Willie Calhoun, who played against the Braves earlier this week, was designated for assignment.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants claimed right-hander Jharel Cotton off waivers from Minnesota. Willie Calhoun, who played against the Braves earlier this week, was designated for assignment.
Cotton has been decent this season with the Twins, so I'm okay with this move. Calhoun sure didn't get much of chance with the club. Too bad, he hit well in Sacramento.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see that Ortiz and Calhoun were optioned yesterday for Hjelle and Heliot Ramos. That means the Giants need to make room on the active roster for Cotton.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see that Ortiz and Calhoun were optioned yesterday for Hjelle and Heliot Ramos. That means the Giants need to make room on the active roster for Cotton.
They probably have a day or two to do this to allow Cotton to meet up with the team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont understand why he was DFA’d. He seems solid. His Ks are a tad low (8 per 9) but he has been consistent all year, with only 1 “blow up” game (3 runs in 1 inning). He seems like the definition of the guy you want in your pen.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont understand why he was DFA’d. He seems solid. His Ks are a tad low (8 per 9) but he has been consistent all year, with only 1 “blow up” game (3 runs in 1 inning). He seems like the definition of the guy you want in your pen.
If Wisler gets dfa'd, why not this guy? I think that K rate and MPH on the fastball is getting a bit overrated these days. It seems as if those numbers are more important than actual results.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wisler gets dfa'd, why not this guy? I think that K rate and MPH on the fastball is getting a bit overrated these days. It seems as if those numbers are more important than actual results.
But it isn’t like his K rate is horrible. Pitching to contact keeps the mileage off the arm and keeps the defense alert.

I have never seen this guy pitch (or if I have, he was just a nameless arm throwing against us), so maybe he sucks. Numbers aren’t everything. But his WHIP is closer to 1.1 than it is to 1.2. That’s damn near elite.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it isn’t like his K rate is horrible. Pitching to contact keeps the mileage off the arm and keeps the defense alert.

I have never seen this guy pitch (or if I have, he was just a nameless arm throwing against us), so maybe he sucks. Numbers aren’t everything. But his WHIP is closer to 1.1 than it is to 1.2. That’s damn near elite.
This may or may not take him down a notch in your eyes, but he was once a pitching prospect of some stature in the Dodgers' and A's systems. He was supposed to be a rotation piece for the A's but got off to a rocky start in 2017 and injuries decimated his next few seasons. He was decent in his comeback attempt last year with Texas and finally looks healthy again this season. Obviously, he is a risk but I think that this may be a good move by the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may or may not take him down a notch in your eyes, but he was once a pitching prospect of some stature in the Dodgers' and A's systems. He was supposed to be a rotation piece for the A's but got off to a rocky start in 2017 and injuries decimated his next few seasons. He was decent in his comeback attempt last year with Texas and finally looks healthy again this season. Obviously, he is a risk but I think that this may be a good move by the Giants.
Looks like he has injury-issues.

He missed from April 13 - May 9, again from May 15 - June 2, and is currently hurt (hasn’t appeared since Aug 1). I wonder if that will put him on the 60 rather than the 28.

Now it makes sense. The Twinks just gave up on his lack of availability.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he has injury-issues.

He missed from April 13 - May 9, again from May 15 - June 2, and is currently hurt (hasn’t appeared since Aug 1). I wonder if that will put him on the 60 rather than the 28.

Now it makes sense. The Twinks just gave up on his lack of availability.
Apparently, neither. According to the Giants' 40 man roster page, he was sent to the minors (although their transaction page only show that he was claimed). BBRef also lists him as being in the minors with the Giants. However, he is NOT listed on any minor league roster page as of this morning.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, neither. According to the Giants' 40 man roster page, he was sent to the minors (although their transaction page only show that he was claimed). BBRef also lists him as being in the minors with the Giants. However, he is NOT listed on any minor league roster page as of this morning.
That can’t be accurate. He doesn’t have any options (per RosterResources). Like I mentioned, I think he has a few days to report.

:noidea:

Edit: unless it could be considered rehab??

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That can’t be accurate. He doesn’t have any options (per RosterResources). Like I mentioned, I think he has a few days to report.

:noidea:

Edit: unless it could be considered rehab??
No idea. If rehab, I would assume the 40 man roster would show that he is on the IL, not the minors.

It could be that the Giants immediately dfa'd him and put him through waivers? But that wouldn't make sense because he shouldn't be listed on the 40 man roster in that case. I guess its just another case of not trusting what the MLB official webpages say.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin Slater got activated today and Heliot Ramos has been optioned back to Sacramento.

Meanwhile, Willie Calhoun somehow successfully passed through waivers in just one day and has been outrighted to Sacramento.

Still no word on what exactly is going on with Jharel Cotton. If he is put on the active roster then another pitcher needs to be taken off the active roster.