• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And will either earn him a non-tender, or a ST cut rather than a go at free agency.

And interesting to see a rage-demotion. I don’t remember the last time we have seen anything like that from this org. Melky and Guillen were not welcomed back, but those weren’t split-second rage decisions. MAYBE Rowand and Tejada getting cut on about the same day, but that was making a statement to the team that resting on contracts wasn’t going to cut it (my interpretation of those moves).
I dunno about "rage," the dude was AWFUL this year. He had to go. That he acted out yesterday didn't help but it wasn't what got him optioned. Shitty pitching did.

The corresponding move: LHP Thomas Szapucki recalled from Triple-A Sacramento.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Littell stuff aside, Szapucki absolutely should be getting this look. Last 4 AAA appearances since his last option: 5.2 scoreless innings, 10 strikeouts, .056/.150/.056 opp. slash

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@LHG

bags called us out by name in this one…

Not sure his statement is accurate. I haven't seen anything anywhere that says a player can be outrighted before, or without, being dfa'd. But then he may not be part of that .7% percentage. It is elite company. Not everyone can breathe that rare air.
It is apparent, however, that teams don't have to announce who they dfa and/or outright because it seems to happen a lot this year (especially in the past month or two).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure his statement is accurate. I haven't seen anything anywhere that says a player can be outrighted before, or without, being dfa'd. But then he may not be part of that .7% percentage. It is elite company. Not everyone can breathe that rare air.
It is apparent, however, that teams don't have to announce who they dfa and/or outright because it seems to happen a lot this year (especially in the past month or two).
I wonder how they do it officially within the league offices. Is there a group chat that the GMs post to? Is there some kind of app that the GMs upload transactions to? Obviously they TRY to slip players through waivers, but how do they officially place someone on waivers?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how they do it officially within the league offices. Is there a group chat that the GMs post to? Is there some kind of app that the GMs upload transactions to? Obviously they TRY to slip players through waivers, but how do they officially place someone on waivers?
Great questions. I'd love to know the answers as well.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great questions. I'd love to know the answers as well.
I read about this years ago. Theres a person whose job it is to track all this stuff. The GM files the DFA with MLB, the secretary in charge of waivers sends out a message to all the other teams and starts the clock. Inverse order of record gets the priority claim. If unclaimed, the league office lets the GM know. If claimed, the secretary lets all teams know and the player's contract is assigned.

At least, that's what I remember.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read about this years ago. Theres a person whose job it is to track all this stuff. The GM files the DFA with MLB, the secretary in charge of waivers sends out a message to all the other teams and starts the clock. Inverse order of record gets the priority claim. If unclaimed, the league office lets the GM know. If claimed, the secretary lets all teams know and the player's contract is assigned.

At least, that's what I remember.
So the perception that teams sneak players through waivers is an illusion. It just appears to us this way because teams are lax to report it to the press and/or the press is lax on sharing the information in a timely manner.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the perception that teams sneak players through waivers is an illusion. It just appears to us this way because teams are lax to report it to the press and/or the press is lax on sharing the information in a timely manner.
Yes and no. A player can be DFA’d when a targeted team is in the middle of a roster crunch.

I want to DFA Joe Player, and I know the Mariners are the likeliest team to put a claim in on him. I can wait until they take a player off the 60 and are in a position where they can’t put in a claim before I actually put him on waivers.

Or something like that. Not necessarily “sneaking him through” as much as strategically timing the move.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. A player can be DFA’d when a targeted team is in the middle of a roster crunch.

I want to DFA Joe Player, and I know the Mariners are the likeliest team to put a claim in on him. I can wait until they take a player off the 60 and are in a position where they can’t put in a claim before I actually put him on waivers.

Or something like that. Not necessarily “sneaking him through” as much as strategically timing the move.
That is a lot of different pieces to keep in mind. I'm sure that can happen but there has to be a lot of guess work involved. Are the Mariners really interested? Will their player coming off the 60 day make a difference in whether they will claim? Do I have the correct intel that the Pirates aren't as likely to do anything, even with an open spot on the 40 man roster? What if there is a player that suddenly shows up on the waiver wire that I want (let's be honest, FZ probably has to be restrained any time a player is available on the waiver wire) before I'm ready to dfa Joe Player?

I guess that is why they are in charge and I'm not.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes. That's my understanding. The league really ought to publish a daily waiver request report.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes. That's my understanding. The league really ought to publish a daily waiver request report.
But only the 3 of us (and maybe stokes and 3 rando’s in St Louis) would pay any attention to it. We are the fringe. We have to remember that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the September roster expansion should be closer to 32 to 34 players instead of 28. It just makes for a lot more dfa's and outright releases for guys with just a month left to play. Its pretty dumb.
I like the idea of having a regular 26, but it can be adjusted on a game-by-game basis from a larger roster of 32 (or whatever). This would allow larger rosters to give rest and to reward guys for good years or good careers and would allow for removing SPs who aren’t available anyway. Appease the PA by saying anyone on the 32 gets paid, regardless if they are on the 26. Basically use the roster management process that the NBA uses (15-man roster, but only 12 are active each game)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of having a regular 26, but it can be adjusted on a game-by-game basis from a larger roster of 32 (or whatever). This would allow larger rosters to give rest and to reward guys for good years or good careers and would allow for removing SPs who aren’t available anyway. Appease the PA by saying anyone on the 32 gets paid, regardless if they are on the 26. Basically use the roster management process that the NBA uses (15-man roster, but only 12 are active each game)
I like that idea. Why have 4 guys who are "eligible" to pitch that game when they won't be able to pitch that game? That means that the teams really would have to sit 2 players per game (assuming 32 players is the limit), maybe one or two of the bullpen guys who pitched the day before or a position player who needs rest or is at the end of the bench.

I agree that the reduction from 40 to 28 was too extreme. I never liked it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BIG kid (6’7”, 230) who has hit OK in the minors, but hasn’t been able to do anything in the majors yet. He is strictly a 1B (he has started to play a little LF this year, but he is still primarily a 1B)

And why DFA Rojas instead of placing one of the hurt guys on the 60?