• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made some assumptions that I think are probably wrong (Winkler in SF, for example), but I think I tracked everything.

If my records are right, that means we have 1 25 spot still open.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gustave, Suarez and DRod added to the 25. Winkler was not added (either heading to Sacto or just not in town yet, don’t know).

Gennett not around yet either. I have him listed on the 25, but he will not be available until tomorrow earliest.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone want him now?

Melancon that is...
He actually hasn’t been that bad this year.

And we got a roster-filler (Winkler) and a low-level lottery ticket for him.

They are contending and need bully. The Giants needed Melancon mouth wash. Works for both teams.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pomeranz and Black traded to Brewers for Dubon

That opens 1 25 slot, and I would guess that is why DRod was pulled from his start.

Not sure if Dubon if going to Sacto or SF.

Dubon staying in Sac for now.

Fully enough, the River Cats were playing the Brewers' AAA affiliate, so he just had to switch dugouts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winkler DFA’d
Sam Selman added to 40-man

I suspect Selman will be added to the 25 as well, but I have not heard the corresponding move yet...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dickerson placed on 10-day
Selman added to 25

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winkler DFA’d
Sam Selman added to 40-man

I suspect Selman will be added to the 25 as well, but I have not heard the corresponding move yet...
I forgot that this is another signature move of FZ, pick up a player, only to dfa him.
I don't really get why this is a thing, but the Dodgers, in particular, were big players in this kind of move, either in picking up guys just to dfa them or ship guys off to do the same thing. Why not the Braves just trade Beck to the Giants for Melancon and dfa Winkler to make room? What is the advantage to adding him to the trade so the new team can dfa him? Is it the hope of the new team to keep the player around? I haven't researched this in depth, but I think most teams don't even keep the guy they dfa. It will be interesting to see if the Giants do decide to stash Winkler if he isn't claimed by someone else.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot that this is another signature move of FZ, pick up a player, only to dfa him.
I don't really get why this is a thing, but the Dodgers, in particular, were big players in this kind of move, either in picking up guys just to dfa them or ship guys off to do the same thing. Why not the Braves just trade Beck to the Giants for Melancon and dfa Winkler to make room? What is the advantage to adding him to the trade so the new team can dfa him? Is it the hope of the new team to keep the player around? I haven't researched this in depth, but I think most teams don't even keep the guy they dfa. It will be interesting to see if the Giants do decide to stash Winkler if he isn't claimed by someone else.
1) The Giants are on the hook for his half mil

Or

2) if he clears, the Giants keep his rights.

I am sure FZ likes him and hopes he clears waivers. But if he doesn’t, big whoop...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or

I am sure FZ likes him and hopes he clears waivers. But if he doesn’t, big whoop...
I didn't think about which team is on the hook for the salary of that player. That makes a little more sense. "Yeah, we'll take on his contract but we'll offer you this player in exchange."
"No thanks, he doesn't fit our needs. We'd just dfa him."
"And? Do you really want us to take on your player's contract?"
"Yes"
"Then you'll take our player. We could use some space in budget now."

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or

Too early for trade rumors?

What's interesting is that Winkler has 2 option years left (AFTER this season). ATL grabbed him from the Rockies in the (Dec 2014) Rule 5 draft, then put him on the 60-day DL in both 2015, 2016, and most of 2017. He has over 4 years of service time, but only 100 IP in that time.

Remember that "DFA" doesn't necessarily mean "gone". The Giants have up to 10 days to trade him, then they put him on outright waivers to send him to the minors (and he could be claimed at that point by another team, who would pay his contract).

The Giants might be able to trade him (trade or lost to the waiver wire), OR he may end up in the Giants minors (outrighted). Since he has more than 3 years of service time he can refuse the assignment and become a free agent, but if he does he walks away from the rest of this year's salary (about half of $1.8M) - the salary wouldn't be guaranteed. If the Giants manage to keep him in the minors, he would end the year with less than 5.0 years of service time (he had been in ATL minors since mid-June) and thus would be captive for (at least) 2 more seasons - and would still have 2 options left. The Giants could evaluate/train/fix him at leisure for the next 2 months and he could even pitch in the post-season (with the team before Aug 31st, and replacing a player on the DL who was on the "active" roster during the 2019 season). They would have to put him on the 40-man before Dec (he would most likely get grabbed in the rule 5 draft again otherwise).

Not a bad move. I like it. We dumped Melly's salary, and might get another interesting piece back in trade (or Winkler stashed in the minors as a backup / emergency replacement).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Austin DFA’d (removed from 40 and 25)
DRod optioned (removed from 25)
Gennett activated (added to 40 an 25)
Duggar called up (added to 25)

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Austin DFA’d (removed from 40 and 25)
DRod optioned (removed from 25)
Gennett activated (added to 40 an 25)
Duggar called up (added to 25)

And the never-ending cha cha of optioning and calling up continues...but needed to happen.
Austin doesn't play defense or catch up to enough balls when given the chance to warrant the playing time he would need to get into a rhythm, D Rod needs to figure his Ish out but we can't afford to allow him to do it at the ML level given the current status of the team. Gennett duh, and Duggar can be an asset when healthy.