• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just learned that the Giants placed Chase Johnson on waivers and then outrighted him to AAA once he cleared (this is his first time so he has to accept the outright assignment). Now the Giants have 4 open roster spots on the 40 man. Are they going to go hog wild on the market?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com article has you guys in 2 of these trades so crazy they could work ideas:

Interesting possible MLB trades this offseason

summary: you totally retool your OF and get rid of 2 guys on the pitching staff who are easy targets for fan hatred. lol

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com article has you guys in 2 of these trades so crazy they could work ideas:

Interesting possible MLB trades this offseason

summary: you totally retool your OF and get rid of 2 guys on the pitching staff who are easy targets for fan hatred. lol
I like the Mets trade, but I would surprised if the Mets would do that trade as a simple 1-4-1.

I have negative interest in Choo, so I am not a fan of the Texas deal. Sammy may not be an ace, but he SHOULD be an inning eater.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Mets trade, but I would surprised if the Mets would do that trade as a simple 1-4-1.

I have negative interest in Choo, so I am not a fan of the Texas deal. Sammy may not be an ace, but he SHOULD be an inning eater.

Might be some small pieces or something.
But frankly Bruce just doesn’t fit their roster.

Mets really need help in cf. They have 2 good corner ofs already in Cespedes and Conforto

Choo needs to go to a team to dh. He can’t play the of, and def not at Pac Bell (not letting that go lol)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster now stands at 32 with Dyson and Panik reaching agreements. However, Strickland and Hernandez were DFA'd, so only 2 arbitration eligibles remain.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster now stands at 32 with Dyson and Panik reaching agreements. However, Strickland and Hernandez were DFA'd, so only 2 arbitration eligibles remain.
I have seen confirmation that Smith was, in fact, offered arb. But I haven’t seen anything Osich. Anyone seen anything on him?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COTS has changed Osich’s status from eligible for Arb 1 this year to next year. I guess he spent too much time in the minors this year to get the full year of MLB time.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I count 34 guys on the 40 man roster now.

And why were Strickland and Hernandez dfa'd instead of non-tendered? I don't know if it makes a real difference in their new contracts, but I believe that will make them minor league free agents instead of major league free agents.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And why were Strickland and Hernandez dfa'd instead of non-tendered? I don't know if it makes a real difference in their new contracts, but I believe that will make them minor league free agents instead of major league free agents.

It's my understanding that a non-tendered player becomes a FA immediately but Strickland and Hernandez will be in the DFA mode for 10 days unless they are traded or claimed. If they clear waviers (and not traded) they can be moved to the minors. I also have read that teams do this in an effort to avoid arbitration with some of their players.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my understanding that a non-tendered player becomes a FA immediately but Strickland and Hernandez will be in the DFA mode for 10 days unless they are traded or claimed. If they clear waviers (and not traded) they can be moved to the minors. I also have read that teams do this in an effort to avoid arbitration with some of their players.
It is true that both players will be in limbo for 10 days and, if cleared, can be assigned to the minor leagues, if they've never been dfa'd before. However, both Strickland and Hernandez have gone through dfa before this year. That means they will automatically be declared minor league free agents once the 10 day period is over. This move would have worked, in terms of stashing them away in the minor leagues, if this was their first dfa. In order to keep them at AAA, they will have to be willing to sign minor league deals with the Giants. However, I doubt either will do that without first seeing what better they could get on the market from another team.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, I think I just slipped up my terminology. Meant non-tendered

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I think I just slipped up my terminology. Meant non-tendered
No, I think you are correct. MLB Trade Rumors has them listed as dfa'd as well. However, the team website only lists them as electing free agency, which is a very vague term. Chris Haft states the Giants non-tendered them but he also says the Giants non-tendered Chase d'Arnaud, forgetting the fact that he was dfa'd almost two months ago.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants claim Mike Gerber off waivers from the Tigers - Giants Claim Mike Gerber

A curious move, considering the 4 outfielders already on the roster.

Finally, a major league transaction.

Solid move. Huge raw power, strikes-out a lot, can't hit lefties. Basically Jarrett Parker 2.0, but he's got two more options.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travis Bergen selected in the Rule V draft from the Blue Jays.

Drew Ferguson selected in the Rule V draft from the Astros.

Last edited: