• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cubs send Samardzija and Hammel to Athletics for Addison Russell, per sources.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Ceapedes and Smardj for 2015 could be devastating to the organization long term when you could load up on young talent.

You have to get young players in return. Not just lose them.

We don't sign these type of players when they ask for their big paydays.

Just not how Oakland works. Never have since BB.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Ceapedes and Smardj for 2015 could be devastating to the organization long term when you could load up on young talent.

Because the A's didn't sign Zito, Chavez, etc etc.

And now that I looked at the contract info, it looks like Cespedes is under their control until 2017 (two arbitration years).

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And back to the point of talent rich and DEEP starter staff.

And this bullpen, holy smokes.... En fuego!

Did Oakland do anything with Johnson yet?
We only have two pitchers (starter or reliever) currently on the roster with ERAs above 3.08. One is Jim Johnson at 5.94 and the other is Ryan Cook at 3.51. Cook as a middle reliever? Seriously? Hahaha, and we all know he has the stuff to get that ERA back down below 3.00. He just needs a little more control refinement.

We have only two others with an ERA above 3.00. Chavez is at 3.06 and Gray heads into tonight with a 3.08 ERA. That means we have the potential to head into the All Star break with every pitcher except for two relievers with ERAs under 3.00. Cook can easily get his under 3.50 by that point, but I don't think sub-3 is possible that quickly as he would need to throw 4.1 scoreless innings before then.

Anyway, let that sink in for a minute. When was the last time ANY team had this many pitchers with ERAs this low?

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His last outing he pitched well. That 14 or 15 inning game.
That was two outings ago for Johnson. His last outing he got one out, gave up 4 hits and 4 runs on July 2nd against Detroit. He still has some kinks to work out, but he had his ERA down to an even 5.00 heading into that Detroit game.

Really wish I knew what his deal was. The stuff is still there. Could he be tipping his pitches? I haven't gotten to watch a lot of baseball outside the highlights this year. Is he just catching too much of the plate? This is like Octavio Dotel or Arthur Rhodes all over again.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see him trading away either of them unless the season doesn't pan out... which is highly unlikely considering their depth at both the outfield and pitching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were moved before the season started, but I just don't see either happening. Beane is going to want both seasons for a shot at a title. If they win it all this season, it's much more likely they trade 'em away. If they don't... Beane is going all in next season.
I'm not all that impressed with Jason Hammel's career numbers and he isn't exactly a spring chicken. The only difference between him and Chavez is that he has stayed in the majors while Chavez kept bouncing back down to the minors.

Hammel is a free agent at the end of this season, but I don't think he'll be commanding a $20 million per year deal. He may still be out of our price range, but he isn't a front line starter. I've heard rumors he will get flipped this year before the deadline, but Beane could also simply ride it out with him.

Smardzija we have all this year and next. IF we end up trading him I don't see it being likely until the trading deadline next season. I think there is a chance Beane tries to lock him up, but that will all depend on how much he wants to get paid. Playing in Oakland for a winning team on a fun loving roster might make him willing to give a "home town discount" to a team that didn't raise him.

I think a big part of what we do with them depends on injuries and personal performance of a number of other players on the team.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Cespedes and Smardj for 2015 could be devastating to the organization long term when you could load up on young talent.

Cespedes already got his payday. His contract was 4 years, 36 million if I remember correctly, so he isn't exactly a young guy coming off of his "league minimum rookie deal + arbitration years" looking to cash in. That said, I'm sure he will still want to get paid, but We aren't talking about a guy hitting .330 with 40 HRs and 120 RBIs year in and year out. Cespedes could very well be looking at another deal just like the one the A's first gave him, and that could definitely be in the A's price range.

Beane isn't going to get an inch from the WS and then trade away the current talent simply because they are all in their last years right when they could get over the hump. The only times he has traded major league talent for prospects is when he looks at the roster and said "we reached our peak and couldn't make it and don't have any way to improve on that".
Because the A's didn't sign Zito, Chavez, etc etc.

And now that I looked at the contract info, it looks like Cespedes is under their control until 2017 (two arbitration years).
Actually Cespedes' deal includes language that does not allow the A's to enter arbitration years with him when they normally would. Cespedes becomes a full-fledged free agent when his contract expires.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Cespedes' deal includes language that does not allow the A's to enter arbitration years with him when they normally would. Cespedes becomes a full-fledged free agent when his contract expires.

Either way, I agree.. Cespedes won't command a lot in the open market. He's a 10-15m per guy. Nothing more.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, I agree.. Cespedes won't command a lot in the open market. He's a 10-15m per guy. Nothing more.
Hopefully that doesn't put him outside our price range.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully that doesn't put him outside our price range.

I love having him in left and in the lineup.

As close to a 5 tool guy as you can get.

Super valuable baseball player.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I think he'll be there. No way you trade Russell for half a season. He fully intends on keeping him next season for a 2 season window. The A's aren't going anywhere...

I wouldn't even be surprised if they offer him an extension. They have control of most of the other pitchers for the foreseeable future at a discount, sooooo...

Man , I wish I were as optimistic as you. Lol. Oakland will be a great team for years to come.

But in my eyes, we don't have a shot at paying Cespedes the kind of money he will be getting offered.

Same with Smardj. Likely both are traded.

Cespedes isn't a 20 mil a year guy. I think we can keep him.

Samardzija will be harder for sure.

Just not seeing it. Trading away your future for 35 starts from Smardj? No way.

They will get something in return.

Unless BB stops being BB.

Beane is all in THIS season.

:noidea:

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does that go against anything I said?

They traded him for an ace. I don't think anyone here thought he was Mike Trout.