• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cromartie takes shot at Sherman

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely??????, and NOBODY should consider calling Ted Williams the best hitter in the game because he didn't hit from both sides. See how stupid that sounds. Is it Shermans choice to play the left side "mostly"? Best D in recent years and you find a way to downplay Shermans Excellence. You haters are all, {well I'll be nice), just haters and ignorant to the game that is played.
your comparison here seems pretty ignorant but I'm sure that's just me

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that's all the criticisms of the 90's Cowboys as well. People are only good because everyone else is good.

People love to tear down and try to knock down a team thats having success. It's nothing new.

Shermans an easy target cause he WAS so brash. He ripped the spotlight and shined it on himself, he played everything and everyone.

He was a no name 5th round CB playing in SW alaska. Half the morons on this board didn't even know seattle had a team.

So whats he do? Works his butt off to become one of the best corners in the league, Calls out a top QB You mad bro. Calls out everyones favorite corner Revis Im the best. goes on ESPN out trolls a troll, Bayless. Goes full WWF heel after the NFCCG. Talks mad shit on the field (which alot of people do)

The result???

He got the biggest contract for a corner ever when he signed.
He got the madden cover
He has Chunky soup commercials etc. etc. etc.

If you really paid attention, he was pretty quite last year. Cause he accomplished everything he wanted to, he's a house hold name. And he's getting paid

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People love to tear down and try to knock down a team thats having success. It's nothing new.

Shermans an easy target cause he WAS so brash. He ripped the spotlight and shined it on himself, he played everything and everyone.

He was a no name 5th round CB playing in SW alaska. Half the morons on this board didn't even know seattle had a team.

So whats he do? Works his butt off to become one of the best corners in the league, Calls out a top QB You mad bro. Calls out everyones favorite corner Revis Im the best. goes on ESPN out trolls a troll, Bayless. Goes full WWF heel after the NFCCG. Talks mad shit on the field (which alot of people do)

The result???

He got the madden cover

If you really paid attention, he was pretty quite last year. Cause he accomplished everything he wanted to, he's a house hold name. And he's getting paid

Oh I forgot,,,, he has the Best QB in the league scared to throw his way week one, single handedly making GB do what Seattle wants, Throw to the side the ET and Kam are shading cause they know Sherms locked up his side of the field. HE then gets in his head and then in the NFCCG when he does try him, he immediately picks it off. Arod never again looks shermans direction.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is better at all. I think in general if you take the talent on Seattle from the last couple of years they would be the best defense in the league in any scheme. I am a big believer in the benefit of playing like a team and executing a scheme properly and in good coaching, but I think scheme and "system" has gotten a little too much credit lately. Talent is still the most important thing.

I think the reason very few teams isolate their best corner on the opposing Offenses best WR with no help is because it's just too hard to do. Revis of a few years ago was just a once in a generation freak that could do it. He was both quick and physical. If you are able to shut down the other teams top WR with one man it makes everyone else's job on the defense much, much, much easier. There are just so few people that can do it; especially against today's big strong WRs that also can run like the wind, jump out of the building and catch balls one handed easier than ever before. It's almost impossible to cover them every single play one on one with zero help. Now of course a lot of guys can cover the top WR if you shade a safety his way or at least make sure he has deep help on his side of the field. I'm not sure if Sherman can do what Revis did or not (I'm not sure Revis can still do it either), but that doesn't mean Sherman isn't an incredible player. He does what is asked of him and does it at as high a level as anyone in the game. You can't criticize him for something he isn't asked to do. So even if he isn't asked to take on the responsibility that others are it doesn't mean they are better than him. I still say Revis is the best, but Sherman is better than Revis in zone coverage. So, IMO if Seattle traded Sherman for Revis straight up it would actually weaken their team. So that has to count for something...
Sherman has never failed to perform the task of shadowing another player. Shutting down Boldin who just the week before busted open a game to just 7 yards was one example. There have been a few others.

So if Sherman CAN shadow and it makes everyone else's job much much much easier (in your words) why doesn't Seattle do it more given that Sherman has never failed to do so? Because it doesn't necessarily make everyone else's job much much much easier. Sure, Sherman may have the skill set to move to any of the slots in the field and know the routes/tendencies and cover it, but does everyone else have that adaptability? If Sherman moves to the left, then the corner over there has to move to the right. If he drops to the slot you are asking your nickel to pick up a corner. You are moving your entire defense around to let a guy shadow someone and it can create new mismatches on the #2 or #3 receivers.

Seattle doesn't run any real complicated new style of defense. Well outside of Carroll's vaunted Leo position, it's more or less a well known scheme. Yes, having really good players does make a difference, but it's really the discipline and keeping the roles narrowly focused that they excel at. Don't ask your defenders to have to move all over and learn every angle of every play, just give them their zone and have them focus on that to the point where they know every damn bit of it and how it plays with the guys next to them.

When has the team allowed Sherman to shadow? When injuries forced them to. When a #1 would simply torch up a weak backup. It's proof that this doesn't create a 'much much much easier' time of it for THIS defense.

And other teams are taking note of this approach and copying it.

In the era of more and more complex offensive schemes it's taking very detailed and disciplined play on defense to keep up. Have each player just master their role and stop trying to make your players all the jacks of all trade and masters of none. It works. Seattle has proven it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks fans now officially own this thread. Move on......
So Seattle fans on a thread about one of their players is shocking to you is it? :L That's pretty lame coming from a fan base that has dominated every Pats thread isn't it? I mean isn't that expected?

Wake the fuck up.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Seattle fans on a thread about one of their players is shocking to you is it? :L That's pretty lame coming from a fan base that has dominated every Pats thread isn't it? I mean isn't that expected?

Wake the fuck up.

I don't think he was criticizing Seahawk fans.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's not just you. Comparing a switch hitter in baseball to a cornerback playing both sides of the field in football is laughable at best.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why Sea doesn't do it. I would think because it's not their scheme, but you bringing up scenarios when they did do it makes me wonder why they felt it was better in those situations and not others. By the way, what year did he shut down Boldin? Recently or when he was a top WR?

Whether they think Sherman can do it or not I don't know and I really don't care. Like I said he does what he is asked and does it as well as anyone. The reason it absolutely makes it easier on everyone else is because you take the other team's best receiving option out of the play with only one defender. Plus, you can cut the field in half. Remember I'm talking about shutting down the best player on the other team and with no safety help at all. I'm not talking about just covering the top guy. That is a huge difference. Look at Dallas. Let's say Sherman takes out Dez. If he could do it you can do it like Revis used to you can put Dez down for like 2 catches and 20 yards. Now you have your #2 CB and a safety on Williams. So put him down for about the same. Seem like Dallas is going to hurt you if the starting WRs put up those #'s? Obviously it's not as simple in specialty packages, but I think you get the point.

And again, the reason so few teams do it is because no one really can do it to an AllPro caliber WR consistently with zero safety help at all like Revis and Deion used to

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of this is starting to sound like stuff you hear 70 year old guys say in a barber shop. "Darrelle Revise vs Sherman? Revise would shut down the other team's #1 WR on every single play with absolutely zero safety help! Sherman never moved from the left side!"

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The result???

He got the madden cover

I agree with most of what you're saying. Except for where you forgot to mention him signaling to the camera "2"-"4" right before losing tge SB. Don't kid yourself he's still brash. A little quieter and a little less brash but he's no Walter Peyton.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of this is starting to sound like stuff you hear 70 year old guys say in a barber shop. "Darrelle Revise vs Sherman? Revise would shut down the other team's #1 WR on every single play with absolutely zero safety help! Sherman never moved from the left side!"

Rocky Marciano was better. No, Joe Louis was the best ever...

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I'm still kinda surprised this is still debatable.

Two years ago Sherman was the least targeted corner in the league among players who had 200 snaps or more. And he still lead the league in picks, with IIRC, the lowest QBR against (was definitely top three or four). And you throw the laundry list of QBs who refuse to test him on top of that?

Sheesh...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two years ago Sherman was the least targeted corner in the league among players who had 200 snaps or more. And he still lead the league in picks, with IIRC, the lowest QBR against (was definitely top three or four). And you throw the laundry list of QBs who refuse to test him on top of that?

Sheesh...
no question it's a mistake to not throw to both sides unless the other side is butt ugly. It was a mistake in Deion's day as it was with Rodgers last year. I would expect that to change this coming season.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sheesh...
This all stemmed from a Cromartie interview. Although what Cro is saying has some truth to it, there is really no reason to say it at all. Dude has always been kind of dumb with his mouth.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude has always been kind of dumb with his mouth
No way. This shit was planned almost from day one and Sherman is anything but dumb for running his circus.
Self-promotion is attention seeking and made better when the player can back his talk up. which at this point, Sherman certainly has.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. This shit was planned almost from day one and Sherman is anything but dumb for running his circus.
Self-promotion is attention seeking and made better when the player can back his talk up. which at this point, Sherman certainly has.
I was saying Cromartie has always been dumb with his mouth. Sherman is just a loud mouth, certainly not dumb.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, clearly you read the part that I said, "That sounds pretty stupid doesn't it" Or maybe you didn't understand the sarcasm.

Sherman playing shutdown D is what matters. Saying he only plays one side is BS. I recall 3 games off the top of my head, Calvin, Dex, and Anquan, where he did cover just one guy. He had pretty solid games. Check it out. Specifically Bolding going for over 200+yards, then Sherman holds him to 2 yards.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wake the fuck up.

Did it sound like I was unhappy? Not my intention. I'm glad we are talking about football. I cracked a funny? Don't be so serious. You are getting a little pissy and I'm not the enemy......