• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cromartie takes shot at Sherman

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh the Seahawks, Nobodies any good, they're just successful cause of other SEahawks...

Shermans only good cause of ET and Kam
Kam and ET are only good cause of Sherm
The LOB is only good cause of Bennett and Avril
Bennett and Avril are only good cause of the LOB
RW is only good cause of Lynch and the D
Lynch is only good cause of RW and the D

Did I miss any?
Oh how could I forget. the fans are only any good cause of the building!!!! lol

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shea Tait @sheawowww

@RSherman_25 in case he forgot. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/cromartie-says-shermans-the-best-corner-in-the-nfl/ …

Follow
Richard Sherman @RSherman_25

@sheawowww lol

2:07 PM - 2 Jun 2015

Cromartie picked Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman.

“I think what he does at the line,” Cromartie said while explaining what makes Sherman special. “He’s lanky, he’s a long guy like myself. He gets his hands on the receiver and he pays attention to the receiver. He pays attention to what that receiver is doing down the field and he knows once that receiver gets 15 yards down the field he’s not coming back for the ball, the ball’s going to be down the field so he plays the leverage of what he has and he also uses the sideline to much of his advantage to try and get the receiver as much to the outside as he can. Most quarterbacks you see that are throwing it to him, most of those passes are underthrown balls because of the pressure on the quarterback in the pocket also.”

Cromartie initially hesitated to declare unequivocally that Sherman is the best cornerback, qualifying it with “arguably.” When pressed by Erik Kuselias, Cromartie embraced it.

“No arguably,” Cromartie said. “He is the best. There it is.”

And there it goes. And we’ll have some more from Cromartie later on.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that assigning a CB to play a side instead of a player has its benefits over running a corner all over the field. He can develop a rhythm, which allows him to be able to play his position with a confidence and skill he would not have otherwise had due to the familiarity of the position. It also frees up Chancellor and Thomas to roam the field in all sorts of different ways they would not have been allowed to otherwise, because of a need to work their way over to whatever side and assist the CB. Oh, and I'm talking about Maxwell, not Sherman.

I have no problem with Sea choosing to play it this way, but Come on with that angle...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shea Tait @sheawowww

@RSherman_25 in case he forgot. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/cromartie-says-shermans-the-best-corner-in-the-nfl/ …

Follow
Richard Sherman @RSherman_25

@sheawowww lol

2:07 PM - 2 Jun 2015

Cromartie picked Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman.

“I think what he does at the line,” Cromartie said while explaining what makes Sherman special. “He’s lanky, he’s a long guy like myself. He gets his hands on the receiver and he pays attention to the receiver. He pays attention to what that receiver is doing down the field and he knows once that receiver gets 15 yards down the field he’s not coming back for the ball, the ball’s going to be down the field so he plays the leverage of what he has and he also uses the sideline to much of his advantage to try and get the receiver as much to the outside as he can. Most quarterbacks you see that are throwing it to him, most of those passes are underthrown balls because of the pressure on the quarterback in the pocket also.”

Cromartie initially hesitated to declare unequivocally that Sherman is the best cornerback, qualifying it with “arguably.” When pressed by Erik Kuselias, Cromartie embraced it.

“No arguably,” Cromartie said. “He is the best. There it is.”

And there it goes. And we’ll have some more from Cromartie later on.

Of course in true Cromartie fashion he works himself into this discussion too...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Sea choosing to play it this way, but Come on with that angle...

Oh, I know it's a stretch (it was meant to be), but it's just as plausible as saying Sherman can't be a top CB because he plays in a system that forces him to play one side, instead of one WR.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I know it's a stretch (it was meant to be), but it's just as plausible as saying Sherman can't be a top CB because he plays in a system that forces him to play one side, instead of one WR.

He has always played one side, no?

Seriously, the number of Seahawks fans getting wound up about this is funny. Sherman plays one side of the field and one side only. Does this work well when you're facing the 3 stiffs masquerading as QB's in the NFC West? Sure it does. Hell running a couple of cheerleaders out the against Colin Copperdick, Sam Bradford and the 6th string AZ QB would work just fine.

Was it an issue against NE in SB 49? Seems to me it was. When the 6'5" Seattle rookie WR roasted a scrub Pats DB in the first half BB made an adjustment and put one of his best DB's on the unknown receiver and that was the end of that threat.

Similarly when Julien Edelman was embarrassing the Seahawks Pete Carroll had no options because he no confidence that his star DB has the versatility to cover #11 anywhere but in his own little comfort zone..

It ended up costing Seattle the SB.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has been a few years. Right now there is not a single Corner in the league that covers the #1 on almost every single play. This past year is a great example in NE where Revis stayed to one side more than he ever has in his career. Against the Broncos Revis for example was only on Thomas on 3 of the 11 targets thrown his way and allowed 3 catches on the plays he was thrown at. Again though should show that teams more than ever are having Corners stay more at home and are looking for at least 2 top quality Corners to make a defense work.
This guy gets it.

While many of you (cromartie included) are whining over who doesn't cover what, teams are moving more and more to the Seattle style of defense. Why? BECAUSE IT'S BETTER. Duh.

#1 defense in the league hands down. Their disciplined scheme is catching on and elements of it are being used more and more throughout the league.

Whine and cry over what Sherman doesn't do all you want, but neither does your CB anymore and it's because what Seattle does is better. Period.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy gets it.

While many of you (cromartie included) are whining over who doesn't cover what, teams are moving more and more to the Seattle style of defense. Why? BECAUSE IT'S BETTER. Duh.

#1 defense in the league hands down. Their disciplined scheme is catching on and elements of it are being used more and more throughout the league.

Whine and cry over what Sherman doesn't do all you want, but neither does your CB anymore and it's because what Seattle does is better. Period.

Zone defenses are not new nor are they innovative. If you have a stout pass rush they can be very effective, if you don't trouble looms when the opposing QB is good. Seattle had the good fortune to face a bunch of shitty QB's last year......except for one game.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure...it's a copy cat league, has been for has long as I've watched. If it's working well, 31 other teams have added it or variations of it in less than a weeks time.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has always played one side, no?

Seriously, the number of Seahawks fans getting wound up about this is funny. Sherman plays one side of the field and one side only. Does this work well when you're facing the 3 stiffs masquerading as QB's in the NFC West? Sure it does. Hell running a couple of cheerleaders out the against Colin Copperdick, Sam Bradford and the 6th string AZ QB would work just fine.

Was it an issue against NE in SB 49? Seems to me it was. When the 6'5" Seattle rookie WR roasted a scrub Pats DB in the first half BB made an adjustment and put one of his best DB's on the unknown receiver and that was the end of that threat.

Similarly when Julien Edelman was embarrassing the Seahawks Pete Carroll had no options because he no confidence that his star DB has the versatility to cover #11 anywhere but in his own little comfort zone..

It ended up costing Seattle the SB.

Hey, why attempt a more thoughtful analysis when an imaginary narrative takes so little trouble. So, it turns out that Pete Carroll had no confidence that Richard Sherman could possibly cover Julien Edelman, and therefore opted to leave an injured back up, Tharold Simon, to handle the task. Do you honestly believe this? I mean I'd ask you to cite the source for your claim, but already know that you have no source except your own imagination. So I'll ask, are you absolutely certain that there couldn't have been any other reason than Carroll's complete lack of confidence in Sherman? Just curious.

And while we're at it, are you absolutely certain that the Seahawks scheme has only worked well against '3 stiffs masquerading as QBs in the NFC West'?

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zone defenses are not new nor are they innovative. If you have a stout pass rush they can be very effective, if you don't trouble looms when the opposing QB is good. Seattle had the good fortune to face a bunch of shitty QB's last year......except for one game.
Well yeah, except for Aaron Rogers (2x), Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton (2x), Colin Kaepernick (2X), Eli Manning. And truth be told, Brady didn't seem all that much except for the fourth quarter, for which he deserves credit.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah, except for Aaron Rogers (2x), Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton (2x), Colin Kaepernick (2X), Eli Manning. And truth be told, Brady didn't seem all that much except for the fourth quarter, for which he deserves credit.

We definitely faced more than one elite QB bro ...

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Cromartie is saying is Sherman shouldn't be calling himself the best until he plays both sides of the field and covers the number 1 guy most the game. He never said Sherman wasn't good. Some of you Seattle "fans" have really thin skin. It obviously is going to rub people the wrong way when you proclaim you are head and shoulders above everyone, especially your peers. Cromartie is a peer. Everything he said was understandable. No need to get worked up.

Absolutely??????, and NOBODY should consider calling Ted Williams the best hitter in the game because he didn't hit from both sides. See how stupid that sounds. Is it Shermans choice to play the left side "mostly"? Best D in recent years and you find a way to downplay Shermans Excellence. You haters are all, {well I'll be nice), just haters and ignorant to the game that is played.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, this argument has little merit, since in your defense of how great BB is at coaching you point out exactly why PC didn't do exactly what you say he should have.

Question, if Darrell Revis is the stud of all studs who covers the best WR on the opposing team, then why not have Revis take over the coverage of Matthews when he was destroying the Patriots "scrub" CB?

I'll tell you. Because, despite Revis being the better CB, Browner had the better chance of stopping Matthews. Putting Revis over there doesn't necessarily change the issues the Pats were having with Matthews, which was the he was too big and too physical for most CBs (since he had 7 inches on Arrington and would have had 5 inches on Revis). Seattle wasn't doing anything special with him, they just ran fade routes and let him go over the much smaller defenders. I'm not saying Browner is better than Revis, but Browner was better at doing what NE wanted done than Revis, which is why the #2 corner was put on the #1 threat. Being the better corner overall doesn't mean that you are the ideal solution for every situation.

Richard Sherman is a lot of things as a CB, but he is not an inside corner, and asking him to assume that role in the biggest game of the season after he hasn't played that role in the 56 games he's played is asking for trouble. The only real benefit of having Sherman on Edelman is that Sherman most likely recognizes that the Pats were just running the same route over and over - but whether Sherman was quick enough (laterally) to stop it without cheating the route (which could lead to more issues) is just academic speculation.

Besides, Seattle's defense isn't about keeping those passes from being completed, but to stop the yards after catch. That's where the injuries to Simon, Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas come in - the pursuit was not there like it had been throughout the last two seasons. The big hits weren't there like they have been the last few seasons. 2013 Seattle had an amazingly injury-free run through the Super Bowl, in 2014 they didn't, that's just how it works sometimes.

Pete Carroll made a decision that cost Seattle the game, but it wasn't the slant call and it wasn't having Simon on Edelman - it was leaving Marcus Burley off the roster for the Super Bowl when the defensive backfield had so many injuries. Burley may not be a stud, or even a recognizable name, but he played well in the reserve NB position and when Lane went down, there wasn't a guy left who had played much NB this past season to take his place.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think it is better at all. I think in general if you take the talent on Seattle from the last couple of years they would be the best defense in the league in any scheme. I am a big believer in the benefit of playing like a team and executing a scheme properly and in good coaching, but I think scheme and "system" has gotten a little too much credit lately. Talent is still the most important thing.

I think the reason very few teams isolate their best corner on the opposing Offenses best WR with no help is because it's just too hard to do. Revis of a few years ago was just a once in a generation freak that could do it. He was both quick and physical. If you are able to shut down the other teams top WR with one man it makes everyone else's job on the defense much, much, much easier. There are just so few people that can do it; especially against today's big strong WRs that also can run like the wind, jump out of the building and catch balls one handed easier than ever before. It's almost impossible to cover them every single play one on one with zero help. Now of course a lot of guys can cover the top WR if you shade a safety his way or at least make sure he has deep help on his side of the field. I'm not sure if Sherman can do what Revis did or not (I'm not sure Revis can still do it either), but that doesn't mean Sherman isn't an incredible player. He does what is asked of him and does it at as high a level as anyone in the game. You can't criticize him for something he isn't asked to do. So even if he isn't asked to take on the responsibility that others are it doesn't mean they are better than him. I still say Revis is the best, but Sherman is better than Revis in zone coverage. So, IMO if Seattle traded Sherman for Revis straight up it would actually weaken their team. So that has to count for something...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh the Seahawks, Nobodies any good, they're just successful cause of other SEahawks...

Shermans only good cause of ET and Kam
Kam and ET are only good cause of Sherm
The LOB is only good cause of Bennett and Avril
Bennett and Avril are only good cause of the LOB
RW is only good cause of Lynch and the D
Lynch is only good cause of RW and the D

Did I miss any?

Funny that's all the criticisms of the 90's Cowboys as well. People are only good because everyone else is good.