• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cromartie takes shot at Sherman

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Cromartie is saying is Sherman shouldn't be calling himself the best until he plays both sides of the field and covers the number 1 guy most the game. He never said Sherman wasn't good. Some of you Seattle "fans" have really thin skin. It obviously is going to rub people the wrong way when you proclaim you are head and shoulders above everyone, especially your peers. Cromartie is a peer. Everything he said was understandable. No need to get worked up.
It's still a dumb criticism in my opinion. That's not 'getting worked up' on my part, but just calling it a dumb criticism. No need to get defensive or worked up about it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman is a self promoter.

there is no doubt Sherman is a self promoter or that he is an arrogant, annoying loud mouth. But that doesn't change the fact that he is a great CB

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no doubt Sherman is a self promoter or that he is an arrogant, annoying loud mouth. But that doesn't change the fact that he is a great CB

IF he can back it up on the field then hard to argue with him being a loud mouth if he wants to be. If the players are tired of it then somebody has to shut him up on the field. I would say the Super Bowl did a little for that after his whole "2-4" thing he was doing to the cameras to only then see his team go down. I will say though this past year he was a lot more mellow than the years before that.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF he can back it up on the field then hard to argue with him being a loud mouth if he wants to be. If the players are tired of it then somebody has to shut him up on the field. I would say the Super Bowl did a little for that after his whole "2-4" thing he was doing to the cameras to only then see his team go down. I will say though this past year he was a lot more mellow than the years before that.

The problem with shutting him up is that his biggest critics are typically other corners, no real way for them to do that.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then maybe Sherman shouldn't be calling himself the best until he can play on a defense that allows him to do what Cromartie is saying. I don't think Cromartie is calling out Sherman necessarily for how he plays but for what he says.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you have been more vocal on this topic than Sherm. I haven't heard him say a thing about it in recent memory.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with shutting him up is that his biggest critics are typically other corners, no real way for them to do that.

True...Corners have become the new divas of football. Seems to go in a rotation around the league. Used to be the receivers couldn't shut up. Now every Corner has to have something to say.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...Corners have become the new divas of football. Seems to go in a rotation around the league. Used to be the receivers couldn't shut up. Now every Corner has to have something to say.
I think those two positions have always been1 & 2 in the diva department and receiver is still on top to me.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that assigning a CB to play a side instead of a player has its benefits over running a corner all over the field. He can develop a rhythm, which allows him to be able to play his position with a confidence and skill he would not have otherwise had due to the familiarity of the position. It also frees up Chancellor and Thomas to roam the field in all sorts of different ways they would not have been allowed to otherwise, because of a need to work their way over to whatever side and assist the CB. Oh, and I'm talking about Maxwell, not Sherman.

Sherman playing a side is the scheme, not because it helps Sherman, but because it helps the Seahawks. He is effective, extremely so, and as such makes life easier for the defense to do it's job.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it this way.... 3 of the top QB's in all of football pretty much avoid throwing his way on a regular basis... That's all I need to know....

This is a great point. Hell, in the NFCCG Sherman played the last 10 minutes of the fourth quarter with a severely injured arm and Rodgers, the alleged #1 QB in football, still wouldn't throw it Sherman's direction. That is a healthy dose of respect for the man's skills.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Cromartie is saying is Sherman shouldn't be calling himself the best until he plays both sides of the field and covers the number 1 guy most the game. He never said Sherman wasn't good. Some of you Seattle "fans" have really thin skin. It obviously is going to rub people the wrong way when you proclaim you are head and shoulders above everyone, especially your peers. Cromartie is a peer. Everything he said was understandable. No need to get worked up.

So Sherman isn't elite until he can convince his coaches to move away from a defensive system that has made the Seahawks the No. 1 defense for 3 consecutive years?

Sherman: Coach, you need to let me cover the No. 1 receiver!
Carroll: No problem, son. You can do it every time he plays on your side. Now shut up and go play.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then maybe Sherman shouldn't be calling himself the best until he can play on a defense that allows him to do what Cromartie is saying. I don't think Cromartie is calling out Sherman necessarily for how he plays but for what he says.
For the sake of discussion, let's say that Revis is the top corner in the game (and personally I wouldn't argue that). If hypothetically the Seahawks traded for him (or another defense running the same kind of Cover 3), would Revis somehow magically become a worse CB?

In other words, is it really 'off limits' to consider how a CB's skills compare to others even if he plays in a Cover 3 scheme?

And if it really is off-limits-- if Sherman doesn't even qualify for the discussion simply because he plays for the Seahawks and their particular scheme, then what is the magic cut-off number that he would qualify for consideration? Top 50 maybe, because 49 other CBs play on defenses that don't base in Cover 3, and therefore are more qualified for consideration of their skills?

Like I said, the whole criticism seems dumb to me.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great point. Hell, in the NFCCG Sherman played the last 10 minutes of the fourth quarter with a severely injured arm and Rodgers, the alleged #1 QB in football, still wouldn't throw it Sherman's direction. That is a healthy dose of respect for the man's skills.

The best aspect of a shutdown CB is and always has been reputation more than skill.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Cromartie's claims, they are kinda silly.

Defenses have always approached pass coverage with a elite corner in 2 ways. Either have the elite corner cover the top guy and risk the occasional blow assignment or have the elite corner cover the 2nd receiver and have your No.2 corner cover the top guy and roll safety support to his side.

I wonder what Pete Carroll thinks of teams simply not throwing on Sherman's side of the field?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh the Seahawks, Nobodies any good, they're just successful cause of other SEahawks...

Shermans only good cause of ET and Kam
Kam and ET are only good cause of Sherm
The LOB is only good cause of Bennett and Avril
Bennett and Avril are only good cause of the LOB
RW is only good cause of Lynch and the D
Lynch is only good cause of RW and the D

Did I miss any?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh the Seahawks, Nobodies any good, they're just successful cause of other SEahawks...

Shermans only good cause of ET and Kam
Kam and ET are only good cause of Sherm
The LOB is only good cause of Bennett and Avril
Bennett and Avril are only good cause of the LOB
RW is only good cause of Lynch and the D
Lynch is only good cause of RW and the D

Did I miss any?

The Seahawks are only good because the refs never call anything on them.