• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

crazy recruiting scandal breaking right now: USC, Texas & Wake among schools listed

Srini

Custom Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a wealthy butthead who was content to have their kid party on campus and not attend classes, I would just set them up in an apartment near the school and not even bother with tuition and fees, let alone bribes.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a wealthy butthead who was content to have their kid party on campus and not attend classes, I would just set them up in an apartment near the school and not even bother with tuition and fees, let alone bribes.
Shit you could buy a house, pay their expenses for 4 years and come out on top with how much money was being thrown out there.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting that there were more coaches & administrators with USC ties caught up in this scandal than those of any other school:

Ali Khosroshahin was the Trojans' women's soccer coach from 2007-13. Previous HC at Cal. St. -Fullerton for 6 years.

Jovan Vasic was USC water polo coach since 1995 (and an assistant there since 1992).

Donna Heinel was the Trojans' senior associate athletic director & former HC of the women's water polo team.

William Ferguson, Wake Forest volleyball coach, was head coach at USC from 2005-15 prior to taking an assistant's job at Cal. St. - Los Angeles.

Others with West Coast ties include:

John Vandemoer, who spent 9 years as Stanford's sailing coach. Was previously HC at Navy for 3 years, and before that was an assistant at St. Mary's College of Maryland.

Jorge Salcedo was UCLA's men's soccer coach.

Lamont Smith, UTEP assistant men's basketball coach, was formerly heach coach at University of San Diego for part of 3 seasons.

The non-west coast offenders include:

Rudy Meredith, women's soccer coach at Yale for 24 years.

Michael Center, Texas men's tennis coach with 18 years at the school.

Gordy Ernst, tennis coach at Rhode Island who spent the previous 12 years at Georgetown, and was also HC at Penn from 1998-2000, and previously an assistant at Northwestern.

Many of these were championship-winning coaches who dishonored their profession and threatened their own future by taking bribes. More facts are coming to light daily, but so far it doesn't appear that any of the students whose parents bought their way into college ever played on any of the teams they were supposedly recruited to, so the schools themselves probably won't face any NCAA infractions - with the possible exception of USC, which could face at least a censure for lack of institutional control - but the coaches themselves could face anything from a multi-year show-cause on hiring to an outright ban by the NCAA.